Diets

Dom

I always wonder about all the pasty faced people slogging along the shoulder of the road deeply inhaling all the exhaust fumes of every car, truck, or bus that goes by. What keeps them enduring the torture that is clearly etched on their face as they do some combination of running, staggering, and dragging there feet, day after day after day. Does it really do that much good in extending their lives? I guess they reall believe that such torture will eventually lead to immortality. But does that contribute to a wonderful lifestyle? That death-mask of a grimace on their faces kind of tells me that they really are not having a great time.....lol. I suppose if the only alternative is to live on the couch, maybe that form of torture is required to keep them breathing. But it seems to me there must be some middle ground.

This growing herd of bicyclers is kind of the same thing. Mile after mile of pedaling and again deeply sucking in all those hydrocarbons while staring, mindlessly at the next couple of feet of pavement has to be terribly exciting. Maybe it has something to do with all that great shiny spandex and that goofy looking helmet that they get to wear. Actually the exciting part has to be pedaling along the road with cars zipping by, inches away, going at 60 MPH or more. What a rush! Is this what is required to survive in this life?

19 hours ago, stubby68 said:

I'm active all the time never stop. I eat like cap and everyone I know tells me that.  Eat what I like and I eat all the time. If the food doesnt mae me happy then im not eating it.Can't remember the last time I had a vegetable, not a rabbit I'm not eating tasteless weeds. Nothing for me to eat a half gallon of ice cream and bag of chips for a light snack. Love pizza, wings ,subs. I drink 8 bottles of Pepsi a day. Friends say I'm out of shape, doctor says I'm fat and out of shape. I tell all of them when they can keep up with me then I will change my diet and lose weight. I only weigh 236. None of my friends can keep up with me especially in the woods up and down hills. They all way far less then I do and eat healthy. I have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and bad back , ruptured disk and spinal rheumatoid arthritis.  I can still out work any of them. I think the key is staying active. Never any down time for me. Only time I sit still is when deer hunting. 

How old are you and do you have any dependents ?  If so, you may want to think about some life insurance to take care of them after you are gone.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Holy crap I am over 200lbs and there is no freaking way I could eat 3 Whoppers! That had to be a 20.00 meal!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It was a total of 4 whoppers to small fries and 2 small drinks with coupons the cost was 14.90.I am around 140lbs

The full article can not be obtained online, I do have the print copy here at home somewhere though, pretty interesting . And yes I read Scientific American.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/from-workouts-and-weight-loss-to-the-perils-of-traveling-far-out-in-space/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-exercise-paradox/

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

The full article can not be obtained online, I do have the print copy here at home somewhere though, pretty interesting . And yes I read Scientific American.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/from-workouts-and-weight-loss-to-the-perils-of-traveling-far-out-in-space/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-exercise-paradox/

Scott Abel is very much in this camp. Eating habits are the key to weight loss , and in fact less exercise combined with a metabolically appropriate change in eating habits (not dieting) is key to long term and permanent weight loss

He also practices re-feed days where you can eat whatever the heck you want. but only after some kind of metabolic correction and stability has begun

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

As science shows over and over again, our intuitive notions about how things work often don't stand up in the face of data and careful analysis. The benefits of exercise are a case in point. In this issue's cover story, “The Exercise Paradox,” anthropologist Herman Pontzer describes a surprising and fascinating result of evolution: humans burn about the same number of calories regardless of activity level. And compared with other animals, we use a lot of calories. In addition to overturning our commonsense notions, the findings provide further insights about why our kind has been so extraordinarily successful, becoming the dominant force on the planet. By the way, to be clear, we should all exercise. Regular activity does help our inner engines run right, and it has some nifty perks in elevating mood and improving cognition. But enabling weight loss regardless of diet? Not so much.

It's like deja vu all over again.

Papist, do any of your sources not involve a 90-minute video of a guy in his basement?

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Dom said:

It was a total of 4 whoppers to small fries and 2 small drinks with coupons the cost was 14.90.I am around 140lbs

I once took a blood/sugar exam and the assistant forgot to tell me that I'm suppose to fast before the exam so right before the exam I stopped by McDonalds and had 2 fish filets, a double cheese burger, 10 piece nugget, medium fries, and medium soda.  The next day, the doctor called me directly and was freaking out.  It took a few minutes of conversation before we realized the miscommunication.  Ended up having to re-take the test at a future date.

• Like 1