Diets

Dom

I eat terribly, I ate a half gallon of ice cream tonight when I got home from work. Tomorrow morning I will pull my sled over a mile out to my fishing spot in the dark and back around noon then go to work. I'm far from skinny but I'm in pretty good shape. My diet plan is to eat what every I want as long as I stay active I stay at my comfortable weight although my doc every year says he would love to see me loose 10lbs, I always respond with if every year your biggest concern is 10pbs then I'm doing just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i actually lost 120 pounds when I was 38.  (have gained about 40 of it back!  Back on the wagon now)  but i worked out ever extra minute i could even if it was only for 15 minutes.  If I watch a movie or a game - every commercial i would use dumbells or do situps etc.  Drank a lot of water .  I also would limit carbs for sure.  Ate a lot of venison.  A typical evening meal would be venison steak and a vege.  No taters etc.  My big cheat was I had breakfast every weekend and still do.   Walked a lot as well. I was on a mission to get in shape and get rid of all debt.(other than mortage)   I worked a second job and did both!  

Pop! I love pop. I haven' had one in probably a week . Seems like I can get through the week ok with out any lately ,but on the weekend when watching the race ,I want a pop. My wife turned me on to those sparkling waters from wegmans ,they really help when I want a carbonated drink. I've been running the stairs 3-4 times a week since November ,excersise usually helps me stick to a better eating schedule.

Holy hell between this thread, and the quiche thread what is happening? Something in the water lately?

Only diet I have ever been on is the see-food diet. I see the food I eat it. Exercise is more important than a diet. I eat very few calories lots of red meat, 3 eggs a day for breakfast, bowl of oatmeal, sandwich for lunch with a greek yogurt and usually small bag of chips, dinner consist of a veggie, meat, and a carb (pasta, rice, or beans). My red meat intake is around 8 meals a week(dinner with leftovers for lunch). I will also say my red meat is only venison. Chicken usually about 2 times a week and pork 2 times a week. My kryptonite is ice cream, love me a good sized bowl after dinner.

I'm 6' 185lbs. and probably in the best shape I have been in years, splitting cords on top of cords of firewood with an 8lbs. maul on top of hanging drywall and crawling around in the crawlspace running water lines and electric. 

Edited by chas0218

I have to work on keeping my sugar under control. What a struggle that is. I went to a dietician who set me up with a very simple carb-counting diet (60 carbs per meal). It is amazing the variety of foods that can be crammed into 60 carbs.

Also, I have accepted that it is not the end of the world if once in a while I cheat a bit. I have never gotten into the condition where I had huge amounts to lose, so it all just becomes a lifestyle tweak to keep things regulated.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Pop! I love pop. I haven' had one in probably a week . Seems like I can get through the week ok with out any lately ,but on the weekend when watching the race ,I want a pop. My wife turned me on to those sparkling waters from wegmans ,they really help when I want a carbonated drink. I've been running the stairs 3-4 times a week since November ,excersise usually helps me stick to a better eating schedule.

Dont drink your calories my friend, coffee/water/beer

Going to disagree that exercise is more important than diet.  I have done a lot of "exercise" and it really doesn't reduce lbs much unless you couple it with healthy eating.  Chas, it sounds like you eat pretty darn healthy already so exercise will only help.  Everyone I hear from that has been truly successful (Arcade, Grampy, my Brother) has the same advise (healthier choices and smaller portions).  I just have to start implementing it.  lol  I was much better at gaining weight when I needed/wanted to than I am losing it now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bill Schmidt said:

I don't diet-- but I try not to eat anything after dinner. Metabolism starts to slow down after age 30 . I try to hike year round on one of the weekend days. Still lift weights-- that helps!  I try to keep my testosterone as high as possible-- because if yours is low you will gain weight, lack energy, and perform bad somewhere else. I take Zinc everyday along with Saw Palmetto.  Both work to block the enzyme that converts testosterone to Estrogen. 

Saw Palmetto ?? isnt that the guy that played Fish in Barney Miller? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Going to disagree that exercise is more important than diet.  I have done a lot of "exercise" and it really doesn't reduce lbs much unless you couple it with healthy eating.  Chas, it sounds like you eat pretty darn healthy already so exercise will only help.  Everyone I hear from that has been truly successful (Arcade, Grampy, my Brother) has the same advise (healthier choices and smaller portions).  I just have to start implementing it.  lol  I was much better at gaining weight when I needed/wanted to than I am losing it now.

Theres a guy named Vinnie Tortorich that i hear on podcasts who is adamant about that as well. Diet is everything. His thing is "no sugar/no grains"

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

it is def a combination.  I lost almost 120 lbs and not from that surgery.  It took me almost 2 years , but went from 341-228.  Just get rid of eating breads and taters and pasta for the most part.  I would eat an apple everyday right after work and drink a water before dinner.  Then ate a meat (a lot of venison) and a vege i liked.  Then have a workout time set up every day and stick to it.  I worked out from 6-7 every night while i watched the news.  Did different things every night from treadmill, stationary bike , lifting , situps etc.  then took sundays off from working out. Walked everyday on my lunch.  Got so i just needed to do that.  Lunch would have like a boiled egg and chips and salsa, or a tuna wrap etc, morning i would have fruit and cereal.   BUT i would always have good weekend breakfasts!   eggs, sausage toast-- its my thing.  

The one reason i stuck to it is i would get pissed off if I went off it even once.  Get pissed and worked twice as hard and once the scale is on a good downward trend you just want more!  Ive got about 40 to get rid of right now for sure.  Will have it gone by Oct 1! 

• Like 2

Guy I work with did “Dr Matt’s” loose 40 pounds in 40 Days . He lost 50, and about one year later he’s kept it off .

It would take a very long post to explain it but it worked, although you’ll have to make a dietary change pretty much forever to maintain, like most diets I guess .

Its quite pricey in the four figures, but it seems like you can negotiate the price .

32 minutes ago, airedale said:

Stay away from "EVERYTHING" made from white processed flour and and refined white sugar, stay with it and you will lose weight.

It's not easy, but I do believe this is an effective and reasonable way to do it, especially for the long term. A guy wrote a book on this called Dr. Gott's No Flour No Sugar Diet.

• Like 1

Moog is correct, exercise doesn't drop pounds unless it is a long steady state endurance type like marathon training or distance cycling. Of course, exercise has many other benefits.

The best diet is the one you can stick with longest and that is dependent on mindset and what fits into your lifestyle easiest. One of the biggest challenges people face is how they deal with a slip. Many people succumb to a minor temptation and then feeling guilty (or relieved) eat a whole cheesecake. A fall is a fall. Get back up.

And transitioning into maintenance is hard as hell. 

Is "pop" an upstate thing? 

Get Scott Abel's book, 'The Cycle Diet'.

He uses the diet word but in fact his approach is all about healing metabolic damage and encouraging a permanent lifestyle change that does not require cutting out any particular food groups. It can take 3/4 years to find your own individual metabolic groove, especially if you have been a yo yo dieter. Extreme short term weight-loss generally causes more problems later and exacerbates metabolic damage. 

You have to get out of a diet mentality and become permanently focused on metabolic support