Spring Turkey Success 2011

WNYBuckHunter

Not having had much success in the fingerlakes I took a trip north for a few days. We got washed out the last few days but did have 2 days in which that bright orb in the sky showed and so did the gobblers.  I had multiple gobblers sounding off in the roost from the distance on the first morning, after waiting till 6:30 and hearing them hit the ground and continue to gobbler I decided to run and gun but by the time I got moving they went silent. I worked my way into a block of timber in the direction they were and put out some excited yelps, nothing, I decided to do a fighting purr, bam about as far as I could hear a gobbler responded.  I moved closer and hit the calls again and bam he cut back.  I set up and proceeded to talk back and forth for 10-15 minutes as he got closer.  I could see his turquois bean coming through the timber 100 yards out, he put on a text book show strutting, drumming, spitting,and gobbling all the way in, 35 yards out I let a cluck and the cannon barked and tag #1 was filled with a great north country gobbler.  22 1/2lbs 9 1/4" beard 1 1/4" and 1" spurs.

20110512070205.jpg

20110512112728.jpg

Congrats G!  And yes jake nuggets breaded in Panko crumbs with wing sauce and blue cheese is mmmmmmm mmmmmmm good!  Called a Tom and jake in for a buddy this wekeend he decided on the tender Jake, well that's not really how it went down but we will stick with that since the end result was a nice tender Jake ;D

Man, it has been a tough season...finally fooled one. Got lucky with this bird and his three girlfriends, Saturday May 28th...what else - in the rain!

He answered, the hens answered, and they were cutting, putting, and barking all the way in. He strutted in full display right behind them, looking at my decoy, about 20 yards off to the side.

I don't know what was worse this year, the lack of gobbling, all the rain, or the biting bugs...never seen black flies and skeeters so bad! He had a nine-inch beard, one-inch spurs, and weighed 19.2 pounds on my digital bass scale.

post-480-131455449501_thumb.jpg