??? re: Porting a Barrel

How hard is it to port a barrel?  :-[

Could a person do it themself (like with a hand drill or a drill press)... or should they have it done at a machine shop or by a gunsmith?

And if it was easy enough for anyone to perform the task - what configuration of holes and/or slots would you suggest?  And should the holes be drilled at a 90* angle or should they be angled (and if angled... which is better - forward or rearward)?

DANG... maybe it is a tad hard  :( ... or I'm over analyzing the entire process (it's that OCD thing again).

I had a ported barrel on my TC Contender  14" 7-30 waters Hunter barrel . I was at the range practicing and thought , why not try this under hunting conditions . A huge tree was about 15' from the shooting deck so I placed my left hand on the tree , placred the pistol barrel across that arm and fired . Day-um ! The pressure coming out of the side of the barrel blew treebark dust in my eyes and they hurt for two days . I got hold of a fellow that deals with Contenders and made a swap for a new "un-ported" barrel . Shot a doe at 55 yards later that year .