Attention Pistol owners

Doc

For Release: IMMEDIATELY, January 19, 2018
Contact: Mike Fraser, office: (518) 455-3751; cell: (518) 859-8518 

SAFE ACT DEADLINE CAUSING CONCERNS ACROSS NY
Legislative Column from Assembly Minority Leader Brian M. Kolb (R,C,I,Ref-Canandaigua)

When the SAFE Act was passed in 2013, few expected its implementation to go smoothly. The secretive and offensive process by which the bill was rammed through the Legislature was only the beginning of the issues to come. Today, localities around the state are preparing to overcome yet another logistical nightmare the SAFE Act has created, thanks to a cumbersome pistol recertification process that is causing problems for both gun owners and municipal officials.

It’s no surprise the law is, again, a point of contention for New Yorkers as it was haphazardly passed in the dead of night with little time for legislative input or public discussion. As a result of the SAFE Act’s passage, gun owners are required to recertify their pistol permits with the New York State Police by January 31.

COUNTY CLERKS ARE UNDER THE GUN

The recertification requirement might have sounded like a good idea to politicians drafting a bill in Albany. But the practical application of the law isn’t going over well with the men and women who actually have to carry out these new duties. County clerks across the state, who will verify the information submitted to the State Police, have expressed frustration over the tremendous administrative burden the provision will create. In addition, there are legitimate concerns that too many gun-owners are unaware of the requirement and unsure of how to proceed.

I have written to Gov. Cuomo recommending that the state extend the deadline one year to give county clerks, many of whom were newly installed just a few weeks ago, a chance to prepare for the full brunt of this unfunded mandate thrust upon them. Further, sheriffs, clerks and other local officials have struggled to adequately answer questions from gun owners, as the law is simply too unclear. More time and information are needed before moving forward. Otherwise, we risk doing far more harm than good. 

DESPITE FLAWS, IT’S CRITICAL TO COMPLY WITH REQUIREMENTS

Since its inception, I have said the SAFE Act is the worst piece of legislation I have ever seen. The law does more to punish law-abiding gun owners than keep New Yorkers protected. Its original language was so convoluted that the bill, at times, contradicted itself. As a result of the recertification provision, which requires paperwork on guns already legally obtained, owners risk confiscation of their weapons. This is an affront to law-abiding gun owners and our Constitutional rights. Further, failure to recertify could potentially carry a felony conviction, which would result in the forfeiture of all firearms.

I will continue to advocate for common-sense laws that protect New Yorkers while respecting the Second Amendment. Until the SAFE Act is repealed, replaced or amended, the governor must consider the ramifications the January 31 deadline carries. And, to legal gun owners, I call upon you to stay apprised of the many requirements the SAFE Act imposes and encourage you to comply with the law until a more effective and judicious system is implemented.

What do you think?  I want to hear from you. Send me your feedback, suggestions and ideas regarding this or any other issue facing New York State. You can always contact my district office at (315) 781-2030, email me at [email protected], find me by searching for Assemblyman Brian Kolb on Facebook, and follow me on Twitter.

-30-
 Contact Assembly Minority Leader Brian M. Kolb
District Office: 607 West Washington Street, Suite 2, Geneva, NY 14456, Phone: (315) 781-2030
Albany Office: 933 Legislative Office Building, Albany, NY 12248, Phone: (518) 455-3751
E-mail: [email protected]
Find me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter
  • Like 2

I will be waiting until the last minute...and instead of burdening the county clerk will send it to Albany. Hope they can't find their way into the offices because the paper is so deep.

I plan to oblige:rolleyes:

Q: How many permit holders are projected to recertify by the January 31 deadline?

A: We are pleased to confirm that State Police are receiving thousands of new submissions each day and expect that trend to continue all the way up until the January 31st deadline.  As this process is intended to correct the State’s outdated records, we cannot forecast the number of recertification submissions that will be received before the end of the month but do anticipate a surge in recertification submissions as the deadline approaches

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Kolb is as useless as tits on a bull.

So says you...He is the only politician in our area to openly refute the "safe" act and hold meetings with hundreds of his constituents. I think you need to learn more about him. One thing is for sure...he would a much better choice than Cuomo or is he your governor.

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

So says you...He is the only politician in our area to openly refute the "safe" act and hold meetings with hundreds of his constituents. I think you need to learn more about him. One thing is for sure...he would a much better choice than Cuomo or is he your governor.

I agree Kolb would be better than Princess, but he has no shot to win.  Kolb has zero media profile in the State and is far behind in fundraising.  Again, snowball's chance at winning.

He could have been far more critical of un-SAFE, but instead kept a low profile.  Whoop-dee-doo for holding some townhall type meetings; everyone does.  Compared to Steve McLaughlin, Kolb did nothing to fight Cuomo in the chamber and in the media at every opportunity.  Even Jim Tedisco did more than Kolb to publically go after Cuomo.

Now all of a sudden Kolb throws his hat in the ring and he has some criticisms in front of the cameras?  Kolb's opening interview after announcing his candidacy was to say Cuomo needs to promise NYers that he won't run for POTUS in 2 years.  Seriously?!  That's such a weak, pitiful statement to make out of the gate!  I'm not saying Kolb is a bad guy, just stating a fact that he has no shot.  Astorino had a great chance, but was back-stabbed by the GOP and gun owners couldn't be bothered to get off their asses to vote.  They sure won't pack the polls for nobody Kolb.  I'll bet my entire craft brew inventory on that.

For Assembly Minority Leader Brian Kolb, Tuesday's deadline for gun owners to register "assault-style" weapons was a reminder of why he opposes the NY SAFE Act. 

The SAFE Act, a gun control law approved by the state Legislature in January 2013 and signed into law by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, has been criticized by conservatives, Republicans and gun rights groups. Kolb, R-Canandaigua, was one of 43 Assembly members who opposed the bill

"Kolb, who also supports repealing the SAFE Act, called it "the worst piece of legislation I have seen in my 14 years as a member of the Assembly." 

"This is a law that was created absent of any public input or participation. It has been costly. It has been confusing. And it has not made New York any safer than it was prior to its enactment. Bad legislation does not get better with age, and time will not make the SAFE Act acceptable to those whose constitutional rights have been compromised." 

The SAFE Act has been proven to have NOT made a reduction or elimination in gun violence.

When all the stats are in on this pistol recertification nonsense it will have been proven to NOT have made a difference in reducing or eliminating gun violence.

Gun control supporters are unwilling or unable to understand the real root causes of gun violence.

By the way, Kolb has been a very vocal opponent of the safe act from day one. I don't want anyone to take Jdubs misinformed rant seriously. The man has never wavered in his gun owner's support, and is as good an opponent for Andy as anyone. What we don't need are these closet Cuomo supporters trying to dilute any opposition to the Governor. We gun owners seem to have a hard enough time uniting without these kinds of negative talking points on anyone willing to run against our little state tyrant.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

By the way, Kolb has been a very vocal opponent of the safe act from day one. I don't want anyone to take Jdubs misinformed rant seriously. The man has never wavered in his gun owner's support, and is as good an opponent for Andy as anyone. What we don't need are these closet Cuomo supporters trying to dilute any opposition to the Governor. We gun owners seem to have a hard enough time uniting without these kinds of negative talking points on anyone willing to run against our little state tyrant.

Don't go there Doc.  You're 1000% wrong calling me a "closet Cuomo supporter"!  Total bullshit insult to make simply because you take offense to me calling a spade a spade.  I'm not misguided in the least and attended every gun rights rally in Albany held pre and post-SAFE.  I voted for Astorino and I'll vote again for the guy who runs against Cuomo.  And, that tyrant prick Cuomo will still win.  When the iron was hot, NY gun owners stayed home in 2014 recording a record-low 33% voter turnout for Cuomo v Astorino.  Pathetic.

Now you want to me to believe that Kolb can drive voter turnout and take him down?  Please show me Brian's hard-hitting track record against Cuomo?  McLaughlin ripped Cuomo a new one at every opportunity on the floor and in the press.  McLaughlin posted the list of SAFE Act provisions that Cuomo wanted, against the wishes of Dems.  He ripped him for the blatant abuse and waste of funds in StartUpNY.  The point is his passion has always been on display whereas Kolb hasn't shown that fight, something any candidate would need to have a shot at winning.

I think Kolb is a high character guy, but even his own party is waiting on other candidates to step forward.  Hardly a ringing endorsement.  It's going to take a visible profile across the state, lots of money and relentless hard punching to beat this beast killing our State.

Steve McLaughlin Photo107.jpg ChamberAssembly PartyRepublican DistrictRensselaer County DescriptionMcLaughlin was sanctioned in November 2017 for allegedly seeking nude photos from an Assembly employee and lying to investigators when the woman filed a complaint. He was barred from having interns work in his office after he was found to have violated the Assembly's harassment, discrimination and retaliation policy. McLaughlin, who vehemently denied the allegations, was elected Rensselaer County executive in November 2017 and will leave the Assembly at the start of 2018

• 3 weeks later...