Watched a dog take down a deer today

The_Real_TCIII

21 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Yaaaaa, I ain’t buying it either.

:)

I'm guessing This happened 

Tacks- Hey Eric pretty cool seeing that dog take that deer down , let's get some breakfast 

Eric- Hell ya but first let me scale that mountain side for fun there may be a squirrel or rabbit on the other side of the ridge, just another mile or so..

Tacks - But I want eggs and hash 

I'm guessing This happened 
Tacks- Hey Eric pretty cool seeing that dog take that deer down , let's get some breakfast 
Eric- Hell ya but first let me scale that mountain side for fun there may be a squirrel or rabbit on the other side of the ridge, just another mile or so..
Tacks - But I want eggs and hash 

This is quite accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, moog5050 said:

That had to be one hungry hound.  Crazy. 

When I was a kid, we had domestic dogs get into our sheep. They ran from one to another killing or wounding one sheep after another with no signs that they were ingesting any parts of them. we later found a neighbor a few farms down that owned the dogs, and the authorities conducted an investigation, and found wool jammed in between their teeth and they were destroyed. I do not recall if the owners were prosecuted for anything at all. With no leash-laws in effect, I doubt that they did.

So it is not hunger that causes dogs to chase and kill. It is irresponsible dog owners that do not control their animals along with a borne-in instinct to chase and kill. These dogs were family pets that played with the owner's kids. Very friendly and very well fed animals. We caught them in the act, but had no weapon in hand. Otherwise we would have shot them. No, it is not the dogs fault. It is just something that they will do when given the chance. But in our case, we would have liked to protect our property, and would have done so had we had the chance. If the dog-owners won't keep control of them, we would have solved the problem in a minute if we had the opportunity. It's a shame when the dogs have to pay for the owner's irresponsibility, but the problem needed a solution.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, rachunter said:

That's not nature if it was a coyote or other natural animal i'd of sat back and watched in awe and excitement. Domestic dogs are man made and should be kept under control.I'd would have scared it off.jmo

It may not be natural to the human eye, but for many dogs it does seem to come naturally to them....I'm arguing semantics, I know.

And if you think about where dogs came from and how they were historically employed, and still are in some cases, it does make sense.  Hunger aside, many dogs will instinctively chase after a moving object as part of their prey/hunt drives.  A thrown toy stimulates that drive; a running deer does so even more.  

Owners need to have their dogs under control when around wildlife, or have their dogs broken off non-target species.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

When I was a kid, we had domestic dogs get into our sheep. They ran from one to another killing or wounding one sheep after another with no signs that they were ingesting any parts of them. we later found a neighbor a few farms down that owned the dogs, and the authorities conducted an investigation, and found wool jammed in between their teeth and they were destroyed. I do not recall if the owners were prosecuted for anything at all. With no leash-laws in effect, I doubt that they did.

So it is not hunger that causes dogs to chase and kill. It is irresponsible dog owners that do not control their animals along with a borne-in instinct to chase and kill. These dogs were family pets that played with the owner's kids. Very friendly and very well fed animals. We caught them in the act, but had no weapon in hand. Otherwise we would have shot them. No, it is not the dogs fault. It is just something that they will do when given the chance. But in our case, we would have liked to protect our property, and would have done so had we had the chance. If the dog-owners won't keep control of them, we would have solved the problem in a minute if we had the opportunity. It's a shame when the dogs have to pay for the owner's irresponsibility, but the problem needed a solution.

Doc in your situation it is true. But if that dog was abandoned it will hunt to survive, it's the middle of the winter and the dog needs to eat.  

9 hours ago, First-light said:

Doc in your situation it is true. But if that dog was abandoned it will hunt to survive, it's the middle of the winter and the dog needs to eat.  

I'll bet that most of the dogs running around the woods are family house pets that people let run free. I'd hate to say how many people over the years I've heard say that they wanted to move to the country so their dogs could "run free". That is just a lot of irresponsible nonsense, but there are way too many people with that kind of screwed up thinking. People that would allow their pets to become problems for the environment and their neighbors, should take their damn dogs and move back to the city where that kind of irresponsibility is expected. We don't need their "free-range dogs" raising havoc in our woods or yards or properties. I had some big old mutt that decided to claim my yard as his domain and stood there barking and growling at me until I re-emerged from the house with the 12 gauge. Then he finally got control of himself and decided that getting out of there was the prudent thing to do. I also had a visiting bowhunter that was kept in his treestand by some cross-breed, Cujo-style dog for quite a while. I told him he should have shot the damn thing. I'm not sure what is such a mystery about the fact that a pet owner has a responsibility to maintain absolute control of their animals all the time. There is not any acceptable excuse for any pet to be unsupervised and not in total control.

I also know that some people use the rural areas as dumping grounds for all kinds of pets that people don't want to have anymore. So, they take a little drive in the country and drop their critters off to fend for themselves. Just a little gift to the people that live out here. Thanx a lot folks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I'll bet that most of the dogs running around the woods are family house pets that people let run free. I'd hate to say how many people over the years I've heard say that they wanted to move to the country so their dogs could "run free". That is just a lot of irresponsible nonsense, but there are way too many people with that kind of screwed up thinking. People that would allow their pets to become problems for the environment and their neighbors, should take their damn dogs and move back to the city where that kind of irresponsibility is expected. We don't need their "free-range dogs" raising havoc in our woods or yards or properties. I had some big old mutt that decided to claim my yard as his domain and stood there barking and growling at me until I re-emerged from the house with the 12 gauge. Then he finally got control of himself and decided that getting out of there was the prudent thing to do. I also had a visiting bowhunter that was kept in his treestand by some cross-breed, Cujo-style dog for quite a while. I told him he should have shot the damn thing. I'm not sure what is such a mystery about the fact that a pet owner has a responsibility to maintain absolute control of their animals all the time. There is not any acceptable excuse for any pet to be unsupervised and not in total control.

I also know that some people use the rural areas as dumping grounds for all kinds of pets that people don't want to have anymore. So, they take a little drive in the country and drop their critters off to fend for themselves. Just a little gift to the people that live out here. Thanx a lot folks!

Dumping grounds for pets is true. My friend has come across a number of pets that were left to fend for themselves after the owners leave at the end of summer. One time he came across a dog that had porcupine quills in its face and eyes. Dog had to be put down after he spent some money trying to save it. 

I had a German Shepard that was a deer killer. When I was younger and lived up in the adks we let them run as we had nothing but woods around the house. During the winter our Shepard would bring home pieces of deer all the time. I had to ride across the road a bunch of times to find her after she wouldn’t come back for hours and found her running down deer or tearing up ones she already killed more times than I can count. I don’t think she ever really ate much of them but would dismember them and bring home legs and stuff to drop at the front door. We always had good deep snow winters back then so I’m sure that played a big part in how she was able to run down so many deer. She only did it for maybe 3-4 years before she either lost interest or got lazy. But it was the only dog I ever had or seen that would kill deer on a regular basis in the winter months. My black lab that was a couple years younger than her usually ran with her but I never saw him touch a deer, he always seemed more interested in the chase rather than the kill. The lab ran off a bunch of times when he was young and I’d find him a day or so later way out in the middle of a 800 acre tract chasing deer or just running around like a nut job. But he never seemed to kill anything.

Wolves kill for sport, google it and you’ll see lots of pictures of dead animals that wolves will run down, kill and leave to rot. I guess it’s a canine thing.