Squirrel hunting today!

Son in law and I are going to try to shoot some squirrels this morning at Carlton Hill state land.  Presently, every dang squirrel in the village of Alden is out running around... I hope they are moving in the woods.  Always see them when you hunt deer and turkey but not so much when you target them!  Wish us luck and I hope to be able to post some pics of this adventure!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Son in law and I are going to try to shoot some squirrels this morning at Carlton Hill state land.  Presently, every dang squirrel in the village of Alden is out running around... I hope they are moving in the woods.  Always see them when you hunt deer and turkey but not so much when you target them!  Wish us luck and I hope to be able to post some pics of this adventure!

I heard that place is CRAWLING with rabbits................... :)

• Like 1

Took a ride around our property in southern Erie county yesterday with my son and brought along the .22 for some squirrels.....well we saw well over 20 deer(which he was pumped about)...but not a dang squirrel moving around.
Anyway we had fun and he got to try it his new helmet he got for Xmas!8294fcfe447a4651529cdcd582b4a75b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Indeed the squirrels were not out.... but we did find an area full of nuts and tons of sign.  It was still great to get out for the day!  No rabbit sightings.  The road going to one of the parking areas was not plowed so I didnt want to take the chance of getting stuck way back in there.  I have seen rabbits in that area last September.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since I began this thread, My son in law have been out there three more times... Last Sunday we finally put one in the bag... a big fat grey.  I missed one and so did he, but its the first one we have ever bagged.

We did a lot of exploring and found an area where the nuts on the ground are super thick, nicknamed it "nut city".  We have yet to see a squirrel in that area.  We did find another area with much less mast on the ground... and squirrels.  Going out there again this Sunday.  Hopefully we will do better than one.

Having a great time exploring this place.  Last Saturday I had nine doe walk right past me.  I think I will do late season muzzle loading at this place.

IMG951408.jpg

Edited by Arcade Hunter
Added image
  • Like 5