The proper way to Break in a Rifle barrel?

LET EM GROW

So I've recently picked up a few rifles, that have yet to be shot. I've done a little research but have heard several different ways from different people/sources on how to properly "break in" a barrel for the best accuracy.. I used to just shoot til it was "zeroed" then clean it. I'm sure this may be the worse thing for them, but I was young, and my family never owned rifles.  With these new guns, and any new gun from this day forward I want to properly break in the barrel? Whats everyone's thoughts on the Proper way to do this??  I've been told to "Varnish" with a special lube after each shot, for as many shots as possible the first time shooting the gun. I have been told to shoot a round or 2 then run solvent patch down the barrel and shoot another round or 2 through it and continue the process.. As well as a few other ways. There are many people here, much smarter than I, on the gun topic, so I thought Id ask you all the best or proper way(s) to break in a rifle barrel. I want to designate these couple to guns long range shooting. Thanks in advance! 

If it matters, the new calibers are .270, 6.5 C'moor and 22-250

Grab you popcorn.  Lol

But I've purchased many rifles and pistols in my day.  I've always cleaned the gun before sighting in.  I'd shoot 3 round groups, adjust the scope, clean the bore, repeat.  I've never compromised the accuracy as far as I could tell. Still have several that will punch a one hole 3 Rd group at 100 yrds. Problem is, I'm not getting any younger, and theses guns are alot more accurate than I am. Lol. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2

My experience is very limited...I have only intentionally "broken in" one of my rifles, and it turned out to be very accurate,  but I have had several other rifles that were just as accurate  that  were simply sighted in, cleaned and used..

IFRC the process I used was  brushing the bore after every shot for the first 20 shots, and then after every five rounds for the next 40 rounds or so....

• Like 2

Thanks guys.. Ive never had a real issue with accuracy yet from anything ive ever done. But I was always just sighting in for deer hunting closer ranges and didnt feel the desire for super tight groupings, until now lol. After i picked up these new guns, it was the first time ever hearing from several people to "make sure I break the gun barrel in properly" .. Well this was news to me. So i guess I wasn't sure if there were certain things to do and not do when first shooting a brand new gun.  

My experience is very limited...I have only intentionally "broken in" one of my rifles, and it turned out to be very accurate,  but I have had several other rifles that were just as accurate  that  were simply sighted in, cleaned and used..
IFRC the process I used was  brushing the bore after every shot for the first 20 shots, and then after every five rounds for the next 40 rounds or so....
Thats what I did for my 300Wby and it dead nuts accurate out past 500 yards able to easily put a heart shot on a speed goat at 505 yards. (My longest shot to date)

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I was given Pygmy's protocol when "breaking in" rifles but I know Sako specifically said no break in was required.  I think the idea is to ensure that you clean any copper fouling that may catch any imperfections early so as not to screw up the rifling.  It would seem to make sense that the better the machining to start on the barrel, the less need there is for any type of break in because there are no imperfections.  But I can't see how cleaning the gun often for a few boxes is going to hurt anything either.

Edited by moog5050

3 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Thats what I did for my 300Wby and it dead nuts accurate out past 500 yards able to easily put a heart shot on a speed goat at 505 yards. (My longest shot to date)

Its a weatherby.  That's cheating. They shoot themselves as per Biz!

Its a weatherby.  That's cheating. They shoot themselves as per Biz!
While such may be true for "special people" like Biz, I handload all my hunting rounds to get the best possible accuracy out of my guns. At that distance the indian needs to have some skills too, not to say I have sniper level skills but enough to relax and make a smooth trigger pull and maintain and estimate proper holdover. But main point being I used the same method as pygmy and $200 bucks worth of ammo and the gun is lights out accurate. Also another thing to note is the barrel should be fully cooled before each shot and cleaning.

2 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

While such may be true for "special people" like Biz, I handload all my hunting rounds to get the best possible accuracy out of my guns. At that distance the indian needs to have some skills too, not to say I have sniper level skills but enough to relax and make a smooth trigger pull and maintain and estimate proper holdover. But main point being I used the same method as pygmy and $200 bucks worth of ammo and the gun is lights out accurate. Also another thing to note is the barrel should be fully cooled before each shot and cleaning.

I was just kidding with ya.  500yds is a poke and requires real skill even with a weatherby!  Not a shot I would be confident taking that's for sure.

28 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Thanks guys.. Ive never had a real issue with accuracy yet from anything ive ever done. But I was always just sighting in for deer hunting closer ranges and didnt feel the desire for super tight groupings, until now lol. After i picked up these new guns, it was the first time ever hearing from several people to "make sure I break the gun barrel in properly" .. Well this was news to me. So i guess I wasn't sure if there were certain things to do and not do when first shooting a brand new gun.  

Do you reload?

i think it depends on the quality of barrel coming from the factory, but honestly anything decent will probably shoot better than i can.  i looked into it and figured i'd put more attention into how i cleaned than anything.  I bought a bore guide, one piece coated rod, nylon brushes, and better jags. try to stay away from anything really harsh or crude. i just clean more often when barrel is new, or if it seems to be dirtier than i think it should be. like if i notice when cleaning that it's picking up copper faster than others.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Do you reload?

Not yet, but as i spend these rounds, I plan on keeping the brass to reload them. A Reloading setup is on my list for "wants" this year.

I have buddies who have offered their equipment if I buy the die. So sooner or later i will be yes.  

57 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i think it depends on the quality of barrel coming from the factory, but honestly anything decent will probably shoot better than i can.  i looked into it and figured i'd put more attention into how i cleaned than anything.  I bought a bore guide, one piece coated rod, nylon brushes, and better jags. try to stay away from anything really harsh or crude. i just clean more often when barrel is new, or if it seems to be dirtier than i think it should be. like if i notice when cleaning that it's picking up copper faster than others.

Same here, I guess im not hurting nothing. Just look into fine tuning my gun knowledge and marksman skills some with these rifles. Just picked up a couple Hoppes gun cleaning kits over the weekend.  

• 1 month later...

Op, read the firearm manual; if it doesn’t mention anything about initial barrel cleaning/breakin, I wouldn’t worry about it.

There is a fellow who teaches long range precision shooting in the Finger Lakes (former USMC Scout Sniper by the name of Curt Drewel). He said that all the recommendations about detailed cleaning regimens for brand new barrels were hyped up. He advised just shooting the barrel and then running some oil patches through it afterwards.

Bore solvents really aren’t needed for a bolt action until it’s seen hundred of rounds. You actually want some amount of fouling to remain present in order to maintain better shot consistency. Mind you, these recommendations are geared towards precision target shooters, but there should be some applicability to hunting rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk