Flu Shots.. Opinions..

LET EM GROW

I need some advice on the Flu Shot.. Sorry if there is another thread, I didnt have a lot of time to look for it. 

I have never had the shot, I typically dont get sick at all. This year ive been sick on and off since November. Im not so much worried for me, But my 3yo Daughter. She has a mild case of asthma and allergies. She takes albuterol and a steroid nebualizer treatment daily throughout the course day during the fall, winter and spring months when it acts up. In Febraury of 2017 she caught pneumonia pretty bad and never really recovered for nearly 3 months, that leaves her prone to getting sick quicker now( I think) because her lungs have not fully healed yet. Anyways she gets sick easy now. My wife and the rest of the family have never got a flu shot before either, and dont have a problem getting one for our daughters sake.  We're just nervous of her getting the shot if it will make her sick or not initially. I mean it sounds like its in her best interest to get the shot(scheduled appt. for this Friday 1/26/18). But mom and dad are stressing over it.. Hopefully we are just over reacting but we cant stand seeing her sick so much, shes a trooper but still... The fact of whats inside the shot makes us wonder/worry also lol... Anyways, does anyone have some opinions if its the right call for her to get one? Maybe theres some Dr.s here and or Nurses? And when she gets her shot, we all plan on getting one in her best interests.. 

Sorry for the ramble.. Its been bugging us

Thanks,

Bryan

I get a flu shot every year since my dad had his bone marrow transplant. Worst thing that happens to me is my arm gets sore for a day but thats just from the shot and totally normal. My girlfriend is an asthmatic and gets one every year and it is highly recommended for asthmatics and people with weakened immune systems including the elderly and young to get them. I say get your daughter the shot and get them for your family as well. Worst case you feel a little crappy but you can't get infected from it because it is a dead virus. Hope this helps and that your daughter is able to grow out of her asthma the way I was able to.

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

The question of whether or not your daughter should get the shot should be discussed with her doctor. As a parent, if either of my kids had a condition that compromised their immune system, I would want family members who have regular contact with the child to have gotten the shot. The flu is a serious problem. 

• Like 3

My wife and I get one each year. My Doctor told me this year, the shot is only 10% effective. Also told me, as of right now, they are developing the shot for NEXT flu season. And they are never sure what strain will be making the rounds next year, so they just give it their best educated guess, and hope they hit it right. Most times they do a good job, this year they were off. We also get the pneumonia shot every three years, as we have both had that a few times as well. Outside of a sore arm for a day or two, we have never had any ill effects from these shots. I hope your daughter will be fine. And as my Doc said, "even though it's only 10% effective, you may be one of the lucky ones".  But the best advice will always come from her Doctor, of course.

• Like 1

The Dr did recommend it. But this Dr i thought i could trust too, he missed the pneumonia for weeks when she had it and would listen to us. Begged him for the application for chest X rays and he finally gave it after several visits.. Guess what.. Pneumonia it was..  He makes me wonder if hes in it for the money or to help these kids. He also prescribes her meds for her ear infections that dont ever work and we continue to tell him, and he just states to "try it and go from there".. 3 different meds later leads to a liquid steroid to clear her up..

I guess that is why i was looking for opinions or situations here.. Something new to the both of us, and as my grandpa always stated with medical practices, to get several recommendations or opinions. She goes to a pulmonologist early March. I did hear too that they weren't super effective this year. But as long as there is no negative side to this I'm all aboard.. 

• Like 1

I never get the flu shot my wife and kids usually get the shot this year no one. In the house got the shot.

Today all 5 of us are home with the flu it started with my daughter last thursday now were all sick. This definitely isnt any fun. I feel really bad for my wife and kids.

• Like 1

never got one, likely never will. I do not take any medication unless absolutely necessary and even then reluctantly i will. to me its nothing more than poison.

when I had my gall bladder and hernia surgery I found hydrocodone pills the next morning that judy had picked up on the way home the previous evening,  I didn't take one of them. when the dr.asked me 2 weeks later if I needed a refill I told him i never took any and had told him I didn't want the script to begin with, his reply was well when you got off the gurney less than an hour after surgery and got dressed and tried walking out of the hospital i shoulda known you would not take those pills. 

I think flu shots and if you should get them is a complex question .

It depends on your health age and even geneics.  If you have a family history of people getting really sick or dying from the flu it is probably a good idea to get it .

If you don't have a family history of anyone getting really sick from the flu .

I think your better off letting your immune system do it's job on its own .

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

The Dr did recommend it. But this Dr i thought i could trust too, he missed the pneumonia for weeks when she had it and would listen to us. Begged him for the application for chest X rays and he finally gave it after several visits.. Guess what.. Pneumonia it was..  He makes me wonder if hes in it for the money or to help these kids. He also prescribes her meds for her ear infections that dont ever work and we continue to tell him, and he just states to "try it and go from there".. 3 different meds later leads to a liquid steroid to clear her up..

I guess that is why i was looking for opinions or situations here.. Something new to the both of us, and as my grandpa always stated with medical practices, to get several recommendations or opinions. She goes to a pulmonologist early March. I did hear too that they weren't super effective this year. But as long as there is no negative side to this I'm all aboard.. 

Been there..  My stepbrat was sick, her mom and I asked repeatedly for a chest x-ray.  She said it was viral.  After a week, we decided to take her to the ER. Guess what,  pneumonia.  Needless to say, we got rid of that doctor really quick.  You might want to think about doing the same. 

• Like 1

Health care....hmm. Always tough with your kids. Getting second opinions that contradict the first. Ultimately it's up to you to decide what's best for your kids.

I'm typically not a conspiracy guy... But the flu shot is something I just don't understand for a couple reasons. Effectiveness. As someone already said, this year's is only 10%. I agree, it better than nothing but it seems as if they should pack some more effective punches.

Second is the biggest kicker to me. They are usually FREE. NOTHING else in the health care world is free. Vitamins. Pro biotics. Herbs. Etc. All proven to increase immune systems and be beneficial to our health,in the same way the flu shot is except WE pay for these ! Theres prob alot of facts I miss out on and still rant about the flu shot, but really, I've spent too much of my own money after insurance pays their part on things much more necessary.

With this flu season being so fatal, the kids will be getting the flu shot because that 10% is something I don't want to regret out of my own stubbornness towards the shot. Just my .02

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mowin said:

Been there..  My stepbrat was sick, her mom and I asked repeatedly for a chest x-ray.  She said it was viral.  After a week, we decided to take her to the ER. Guess what,  pneumonia.  Needless to say, we got rid of that doctor really quick.  You might want to think about doing the same. 

I told my wife the same thing. She wants to but has a hard time leaving cause he was her Dr when she was a child to. But we are both set on whatever is best for the kids. 

20 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Health care....hmm. Always tough with your kids. Getting second opinions that contradict the first. Ultimately it's up to you to decide what's best for your kids.

I'm typically not a conspiracy guy... But the flu shot is something I just don't understand for a couple reasons. Effectiveness. As someone already said, this year's is only 10%. I agree, it better than nothing but it seems as if they should pack some more effective punches.

Second is the biggest kicker to me. They are usually FREE. NOTHING else in the health care world is free. Vitamins. Pro biotics. Herbs. Etc. All proven to increase immune systems and be beneficial to our health,in the same way the flu shot is except WE pay for these ! Theres prob alot of facts I miss out on and still rant about the flu shot, but really, I've spent too much of my own money after insurance pays their part on things much more necessary.

With this flu season being so fatal, the kids will be getting the flu shot because that 10% is something I don't want to regret out of my own stubbornness towards the shot. Just my .02

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Im with you 100% man!! My thoughts exactly! As weak as her immune system is, we will get her the shot as it should help prevent or weaken the disease if it does get to her. We keep her inside as much as possible and try to keep air as clean as possible until warmer weather arrives..

Not sure if I will get it or not, probably only if it will benefit her. Otherwise i try to stay free of prescription meds if possible..  

Especially after the young girl from Naples passed from the flu last year, I couldn't imagine losing a child of my own. 

• Like 1

People have to make the decision best for them.

10% seems like crummy forecasting, but 10% is a lot more than 0%.

I get the shot every year. We bring in nurses to admin them at work, so no reason not to get it since I'm beyond the concern of whether such a shot does harm to me.

If I die, at least I am trying.

• Like 2

Your "doctor knows best." Your daughter has been under the care of a doctor who has scheduled her to get a flu shot. There is nothing to worry about as the doctor knows her specific medical history and what is in her best medical interest. Every medical professional I have heard has stated that even if the flu shot is not effective in preventing the flu, the symptoms will be far less severe should she get the flu, and less dangerous for her. As others have stated, listen to your doctor and do what the doctor says is best for your daughter.

valoroutdoors.com

• Like 1

Ide ask your doctor. Everyone in my house got it this year and last year do to my son being a premie. The flu tends to run through my wifes work place(medical field) she says that the ones who get the flu the most seem to be the only ones who skip the shot.  But there is a couple of them who get the shot and get the flu regardless.   

Hope your daughter gets better it sucks when kids get sick, especially at that age.

Have not read any of the responses to this thread so I could be repeating, ask your daughter's doctor if the best thing for her is to get the flu shot, not a bunch of us yahoos. I'm no doctor but I would bet he/she says get it. Every doctor out there is saying everyone should get the shot. I was at my doctor this afternoon for something else and he told me this year's flu is nothing to mess around with.