Flu Shots.. Opinions..

LET EM GROW

For the past 20 years or so as I have started getting a little age on me I have been getting the shot. A couple of years ago the shot did not match the strain that was going around so I said the heck with it and did not bother getting it. Well don't you know as sure a hell I got the flu that year and was sicker than a dog, it is nothing to mess with when you are older or very young and as can be seen on the news just about every night you can die from it. It is no big deal and even without insurance affordable, better to be a little safer than sorry and do all you can to protect yourself and family.

Al

• Like 2

We are going to have her get the shot. Did some research and it cant hurt it seems. Its in her best interest, and the Doc said to, but i sometimes have a hard time trusting him and his ways, his decisions lately have made me wonder about his practices... 

Thanks everyone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hunter49 said:

I never had one & when my Dr. ask I say why put it in my system if it's not there now. My niece who is a Dr. of pharmacy just said if you haven't had it by now this year it's too late people should have gotten them months ago.

Months ago?  It was just on the news a couple weeks ago that this yrs vaccine was only 10% effective.  

I've also heard of many people getting very sick after getting the shot. I'd be VERY concerned giving my kid with a compromised immune system anything that could potentially cause illness. 

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, TreeGuy said:

I'm typically not a conspiracy guy... But the flu shot is something I just don't understand for a couple reasons. Effectiveness. As someone already said, this year's is only 10%. I agree, it better than nothing but it seems as if they should pack some more effective punches.

The flu virus is highly mutative so doctors are trying to predict what its going to mutate into this year.  Some times they guess well, some times they make a bad guess.

But I agree.  Its free and 10% is greater than 0%.  Even if your a super healthy person, if you're around children and elderly, you should protect yourself for their sake.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mowin said:

Months ago?  It was just on the news a couple weeks ago that this yrs vaccine was only 10% effective.  

I've also heard of many people getting very sick after getting the shot. I'd be VERY concerned giving my kid with a compromised immune system anything that could potentially cause illness. 

They inject you with a dead virus that can't reproduce so if you get sick from it then you probably got injected with a dirty needle that was passed around in a drug den.

It sounds like you have trust issues with your doctor. That is not acceptable, and you should be looking for another doctor. This question is one that you should be able to ask your doctor and rely on his/her opinion. If you can't, then you have the wrong doctor.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Elmo said:

They inject you with a dead virus that can't reproduce so if you get sick from it then you probably got injected with a dirty needle that was passed around in a drug den.

So your saying all the people who have a issue with getting sick a day or too after getting the shot we're in a drug den?

At 58 years old I have had the flu twice when I was young, so I have done okay without any vaccine... nearly ever person I know that has had the flu shot has gotten sick shortly after receiving the shot... some who have never had the flu in their life... coincidence??... Maybe,  but I'll take my chances without the shot. If you get a chance do some research on what is actually in the vaccine and how it a crap shoot at best in it's effectiveness... it should be all you need to make an educated decision about introducing any drug into your system. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mowin said:

That is our exact thoughts and worries. But, the pharmacist suggested it, her dr and the nurse practitioner.. In their eyes its only a little added protection..  I jus thope it doesnt make her sick. Shes unhealthy more than shes healthy during the colder/cooler months.. I feel horrible for her 

• Like 1

Being a doctor and being a good doctor is not necessarily inclusive. Doctors opinions vary as much or more among themselves as deer hunters and antler restrictions. A good doctor works for and with you for the best customized treatment. Not one is an all knowing infallible god.

As a healthcare provider, my opinion is this, it’s called the practice of medicine for a reason. Very little is perfected or agreed upon by “the experts”. I think that enough evidence exists however that the flu vaccine can shorten the duration of symptoms, if not prevent certain strains of the flu, for me to get one.

Johns Hopkins researchers have found that medical errors rank behind heart disease and cancer as the third leading cause of death ... a factor to consider when your Dr. says you should get a flu shot. Just sayin' do your own research before just jumping into what your doctor tell you to do.

I never get the shot. The people that make the flu basically make the best educated guess on what strain will be most common this year and make it based on that strain. So you can get the shot, have your body build an immunity to that strain and still get sick with a slightly different flu. You also can still get sick from that same strain if your body kind of rejects and it basically was pointless to get. Sometimes its just not effective either. I think I got it once in my life and honestly I won't be as long as I'm still healthy. 

As far as people getting sick from the shot, I don't believe that the virus they inject is actually live. I believe it just stresses your body just enough, which makes it much easier to get sick for a short period of time. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, mowin said:

So your saying all the people who have a issue with getting sick a day or too after getting the shot we're in a drug den?

As ATbuckhunter said, you're more susceptible to getting sick because you're body is fighting and building an immunity.  It thinks it's being attacked.  Its also how some people think you'll get sick if you're out in the cold and wet.  In reality, you're simply more susceptible because your body basically pulls all their defenses to fortify one area.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Elmo said:

As ATbuckhunter said, you're more susceptible to getting sick because you're body is fighting and building an immunity.  It thinks it's being attacked.  Its also how some people think you'll get sick if you're out in the cold and wet.  In reality, you're simply more susceptible because your body basically pulls all their defenses to fortify one area.

Exactly! When ever anything stresses your body your immune system then becomes compromised. That can be from being cold, hot, stressed from work/school ...etc. 

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Exactly! When ever anything stresses your body your immune system then becomes compromised. That can be from being cold, hot, stressed from work/school ...etc. 

But, your assuming EVERYONE that gets/or has gotten sick, was going to get sick within a day or two weather or not they got the shot.  

Sorry.  Not buying that.  

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

But, your assuming EVERYONE that gets/or has gotten sick, was going to get sick within a day or two weather or not they got the shot.  

Sorry.  Not buying that.  

Its not that they were going to get sick, its just that while your body is creating the antibodies you are more susceptible to any pathogens you may come into contact afterwards. Now is it possible that they became sick due to the actual virus that was injected...possibly but is incredibly low. The majority become sick because of a compromised immune system.