Rifle for my daughter

So my daughter's 14th birthday is coming up shortly, and I want to buy her a deer rifle.  She already knows what shes getting and is very excited about it. We looked at a Savage Axis last time we went to Bass Pro, and she liked the look and feel of it. I found one of them online for $285 shipped. I just wanted to see what else I should have her look at before I buy one. Here are the qualifiers:

-Bolt action

-7mm-08 preferred (possibly .243)

-Left handed

-Less than $500

-Black synthetic stock (thats what she wants)

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Savage but it all depends on what you're looking to spend.  Lots of great rifles out there for just a couple hundred bucks more. I know the Thompson centers are great guns and not too long ago they were selling the compass for $180 at field and stream. For the money that rifle is hand over fist better than the axis. Ill add they guarantee it to 3 shot 1" MOA.

• Lightweight, durable and ergonomic composite stock
  • Single-stage trigger adjusts between 3.5 lbs. and 5 lbs.
  • Contours and textured grip panels for positive handling
  • Three-lug bolt design with a 60° handle lift
  • Free-floating barrel reduces the effects of a heated barrel
  • Easy-to-clean 5R rifling decreases bullet deformation
  • Detachable rotary box magazine fits flush with the stock
Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

If you want a rifle that is made in the traditional way without barrel nuts holding the barrel to the receiver and a bolt that doesn't have 100 parts to it like the Savage and other economy priced guns, or the lame accu-trigger type trigger, I would highly recommend a Howa.  They are made in Japan, but Howa is the company that makes the Weatherby Vanguard, so what you'd be getting here is a Vanguard without the Weatherby name on it.  This gun will last a lifetime.  Has a proven track record and better quality than the Savage, Ruger, Remington economy models.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/280/products_id/719005089/Firearms/Rifles/Howa/LEG HOG/PANMX 7MM08 22 BLK 5/

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, steve863 said:

If you want a rifle that is made in the traditional way without barrel nuts holding the barrel to the receiver and a bolt that doesn't have 100 parts to it like the Savage and other economy priced guns, or the lame accu-trigger type trigger, I would highly recommend a Howa.  They are made in Japan, but Howa is the company that makes the Weatherby Vanguard, so what you'd be getting here is a Vanguard without the Weatherby name on it.  This gun will last a lifetime.  Has a proven track record and better quality than the Savage, Ruger, Remington economy models.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/280/products_id/719005089/Firearms/Rifles/Howa/LEG HOG/PANMX 7MM08 22 BLK 5/

I didnt even know that the Savage had a barrel nut. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Unfortunately, Howa doesnt make a left handed action.

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I didnt even know that the Savage had a barrel nut. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Not to say that a rifle with a barrel nut won't work or shoot well.  I personally just don't like the look of them, and I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to how a gun should be made if I am to buy it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I'm not a fan of Savage but it all depends on what you're looking to spend.  Lots of great rifles out there for just a couple hundred bucks more. I know the Thompson centers are great guns and not too long ago they were selling the compass for $180 at field and stream. For the money that rifle is hand over fist better than the axis. Ill add they guarantee it to 3 shot 1" MOA.

• Lightweight, durable and ergonomic composite stock
  • Single-stage trigger adjusts between 3.5 lbs. and 5 lbs.
  • Contours and textured grip panels for positive handling
  • Three-lug bolt design with a 60° handle lift
  • Free-floating barrel reduces the effects of a heated barrel
  • Easy-to-clean 5R rifling decreases bullet deformation
  • Detachable rotary box magazine fits flush with the stock

TC makes a great rifle, but the only leftys they make are the Dimensions, and thats way above my price point.

12 minutes ago, Dom said:

How about a lever gun maybe 30-30 or 35?I know they are not long range rifles but good starters I think.Maybe recoil is to much 

She can handle recoil, she hunts with my 12ga turkey gun lol. Ive never been big on lever guns. I have one that barely ever leaves my safe. I keep saying Ill hunt with it, but its only been in the woods a couple of times. Honestly, I dont like shooting it. I keep it because it was given to me by my dad

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Not to say that a rifle with a barrel nut won't work or shoot well.  I personally just don't like the look of them, and I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to how a gun should be made if I am to buy it.

Oh I know they will shoot. I have lots of experience with ARs, which use them. I just didnt realize the Savages had them.

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

She can handle recoil, she hunts with my 12ga turkey gun lol. Ive never been big on lever guns. I have one that barely ever leaves my safe. I keep saying Ill hunt with it, but its only been in the woods a couple of times. Honestly, I dont like shooting it. I keep it because it was given to me by my dad

My henry 30-30 is rapidly becoming my favorite firearm to hunt with.  But I still think for under $300, its hard to beat the axis. 

• Like 1

Lefty here.  I was in the same boat, looking at the same packages you are considering.  The Savage was "OK", but the trigger and bolt weren't smooth and the rifle wasn't especially lightweight/balanced; didn't need the included entry-level scope either.  Ultimately, I picked up a .308 Tikka t3x stainless lefty and worked every discount angle possible at F&S.  The difference between the rifles (to me) was night and day.  F&S ended up honoring the same $649 price (versus $849) as the righty version they sold plus they honored all of he coupons I had.  If you can stretch the budget a bit and have a spare scope, it would be worth it.

Edited by Jdubs
wrong prices typed originally

9 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Lefty here.  I was in the same boat, looking at the same packages you are considering.  The Savage was "OK", but the trigger and bolt weren't smooth and the rifle wasn't especially lightweight/balanced; didn't need the included entry-level scope either.  Ultimately, I picked up a .308 Tikka t3x stainless lefty and worked every discount angle possible at F&S.  The difference between the rifles (to me) was night and day.  F&S ended up honoring the same $699 price (versus $899) as the righty version they sold plus they honored all of he coupons I had.  If you can stretch the budget a bit and have a spare scope, it would be worth it.

Just bought a new house, theres no stretching this budget lol

• Like 1

Nate has the Axis 7-08 lefty. I got it for cheap from Dick’s with a coupon but did have to order it being a lefty. 

No adjustable trigger on that axis anymore either, I believe that comes on a different model but can’t recall. 

We shot it yesterday with the new Boyd’s stock and it made it feel much better with even less recoil than before.  

I don’t care for the bolt either and be sure to get at least medium height rings as it’s close with the angle of bolt when it’s open.  With that said it’s a great cheap gun, it shoots well, is light to carry, fits small framed shooters and has little recoil. 

Plenty of aftermarket upgrades available should she want too. 

• Like 1

My daughter has a cva hunter in 7mm-08. I am a huge fan of single shots for kids "and myself" I'm not sure if they still make the compact in 7mm-08. I bought hers with a full stock and bough the compact stock for I think 30$ from cva. I own 8 cva hunters and have nothing but great things to say about them all shoot great and have awesome triggers for under 250$ they're very hard to beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all the Savage 110 style bolt action has a reputation of being one of the most consistently  accurate designs period, the barrel nut has a zero downside other than aesthetics to some. I picked up a synthetic stock left hand plain trigger version in 7mm-08 for my wife, and did a trigger job and got a nice crisp 4 lb pull. Mounted a Leupold 3x9 I had laying around and picked up some 139 Hornady SST handloads at the Syracuse gun show. Once we got her sighted in the wife shot several 3 shot groups at 100 , she was getting 11/2 inch groups no problem. I am sure with some experimentation with some different loads I could get it to shoot even better but for fairly short range woods Deer hunting it was plenty good enough.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I picked up a Savage Axis when F&S had them on sale during the holidays. Savage also had a $100 rebate. I've got $218 in a gun, scope and 2 boxes of bullets. Ya the scope is cheap, but I got it for my nephew to use.  

I sighed it in and I'm impressed with the accuracy. BTW, I got the 6.5 cm. 

Love my Thompson pro Hunter 7mm 08. You can't go wrong with that cartridge for your daughter.