Doe's ears trimmed

Buckstopshere

10 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

No deer farm around here that I know of...one down south near Coudersport, Pa...just across the border. 

Frostbite...? Why not other deer?...especially where it gets really cold.  I have never seen a deer with its ears like this. 

It's been known to happen with cattle. Esp the ears.  Not enough thickness to keep warm blood flow thru.  Ears would be one of the first things to get frostbite. 

download.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Makes sense...then do you think this was a real early fawn...like from the first rut...before the main rut...born in April...and we had a Zero degree F. day then...? I don't think so. She looks like about a 3-year old doe, so that puts her back about 2014 or '15 when she hit the ground. So have to check NOAA for the historical weather data. But I don't recall that low a temp around here in April...never in May.  What temps to get frostbite in a deer's  ear? And why no others? 

27 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

Makes sense...then do you think this was a real early fawn...like from the first rut...before the main rut...born in April...and we had a Zero degree F. day then...? I don't think so. She looks like about a 3-year old doe, so that puts her back about 2014 or '15 when she hit the ground. So have to check NOAA for the historical weather data. But I don't recall that low a temp around here in April...never in May.  What temps to get frostbite in a deer's  ear? And why no others? 

Didn't have to be when she was a fawn.  Could've happened in the dead of winter.  Cows have even lost their tails to frostbite.  I know last year we had a good run of below zero for a couple days and 2 years ago we had something like 13 days in a month it was below zero.  

Have seen multiple outdoor cats with ears missing. Also ears can get frozen without a deer being totally aware it happens.  Once they can't feel from numbness the frostbite hurts after you start to warm up. 

She probably was not born early but late, that could explain the frostbite at an early age.  My other thought is parasites, they can take a toll in bad areas.  Otherwise I would just think its a genetic defect or it might have been prey as a fawn to a fox or small coyote.  

Do you have any other closer pics?  They look ok, not damaged.  Is that a scar on the left front leg?  

Edited by NFA-ADK

i grew up on the family farm with hay the dominant crop and have caught and almost caught numerous fawns in older style haybines (sickle bar type cutting) and discbines (cuts like your lawn mower).  can't see how it caught it's ears like that knowing how they lay and thoughts that there's a huge chance it'd catch something else.  even for a newborn the cut height is low.  even if it made it over top of the fawn it'd be a good amount of force and trauma.  any other piece of equipment that cuts doesn't float like them and would crush the fawn. just my opinion.