rust prevention oil for muzzleloader question

goosifer

I finally got around to cleaning my muzzleloader (yes, I know, should have done it weeks ago.) It has a  Nitride-treated Bergara barrel. On the bottle of the CVA barrel blaster cleaning patches it says to wipe with a dry patch, and then with Barrel Blaster Rust Prevention patches once clean. It sounds like the Barrel Blaster Rust Prevention patches are a type of oil. Can I use regular gun oil, like Rem Oil for this step? (I know the solvents/cleaning patches for muzzleloaders are completely different than regular guns, but what about the rust prevention/oil part?) If not, i will just suck it up and order the Barrel Blaster Rust Prevention patches. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I finally got around to cleaning my muzzleloader (yes, I know, should have done it weeks ago.) It has a  Nitride-treated Bergara barrel. On the bottle of the CVA barrel blaster cleaning patches it says to wipe with a dry patch, and then with Barrel Blaster Rust Prevention patches once clean. It sounds like the Barrel Blaster Rust Prevention patches are a type of oil. Can I use regular gun oil, like Rem Oil for this step? (I know the solvents/cleaning patches for muzzleloaders are completely different than regular guns, but what about the rust prevention/oil part?) If not, i will just suck it up and order the Barrel Blaster Rust Prevention patches. Thanks.

Run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel now.......next time you shoot it, a few dry patches will get all the remaining oil out and you're ready to roll, Joel.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel now.......next time you shoot it, a few dry patches will get all the remaining oil out and you're ready to roll, Joel.

thanks. I forgot to ask, should I oil around where the firing pin assembly touches the face of the breech plug or the outside of the barrel? Last question, to clean the outside of the scope, just a damp rag? Windex? thanks again.

32 minutes ago, goosifer said:

thanks. I forgot to ask, should I oil around where the firing pin assembly touches the face of the breech plug or the outside of the barrel? Last question, to clean the outside of the scope, just a damp rag? Windex? thanks again.

I'm not familiar with the guts of your gun but I wouldn't be afraid to wipe down almost any part of it with a LIGHTLY oiled cloth.  The only part I'd shy away from is the touch hole area, other than the threads.  LIGHTLY :)

Store in a dry place and call me in the morning..........oh wait, scratch that part.

• Thanks 1

What powder were you using?  Did the gun get fired?

I have used pyrodex loose powder, but now use real blackpowder in both modern inline, percussion, and flintlocks I have.

Here's how I do it....

Pull the breech if possible.  Dip one end in warm water with a touch of dish soap or better yet pinesol, then push a patch back and forth.  Then take a brush and push it back and forth a few passes.  Change to clean warm water only, then push a patch back and forth a few more times.  Push a dry patch or two, then spray inside with WD40 and push a patch with some WD40 down it.  Wipe down the exterior with a wet towel, then WD40.

IF the muzzleloader shoots sabots, I use a bore solvent that disolves plastic fouling.  The proshot red solvent works good for me.

I push a patch with WD40 down it the next day, if it looks ok, i'm good.  If I see too much residue or any rust, I clean it again.

I also cover the scope lenses with plastic bags held in by rubber bands.  Too much cleaning of the lenses removes the optics coating, which hurts low light performance.  The less you windex them, the better. but do it if it needs it.

The breech get soap and water only.  The breech is stored by itself and not installed.  The barrel points down to drip out oil.  IF the gun is percussion or flintlock, I remove the flash hole or nipple and clean the channel area.  If the gun will be used for hunting, I clean with alcohol before using to ensure nothing will cause me ignition issues.  

If the gun is put away for longer than a few months.  I will use rem oil or motor oil.

Seen lots of old firearms in wonderful shape just from good old WD40......

Edited by sailinghudson25
  • Thanks 1