Lowering Hunting Age

dbHunterNY

Looks like a bill has made it past the Senate. S3156 would lower hunting age for everything else (including big game) from 14 to 12 years old.  still stipulations in place though. wouldn't be out on their own. only halfway through the process though.  looks like it has to get through the assembly still (bill A477).  I'd be calling your assemblyman or woman up to let them know you're a voter in there district and you support this as should they.
if you don't know who it is, use the link below....
http://nyassembly.gov/mem/search/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'm missing your point on this?

The minimum poundage draw for a bow is 35lbs. Middle school kids range from 11-13 they struggle in Gym class doing a pull up and a lot can barely pull the 30 lbs. bow they use in class as it is. They are lowering the age but with the bow poundage cut off it will not allow a lot of those kids at a lower age to bow hunt anyway. I have a few kids in class that could do it but many of them can't.

2 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

The minimum poundage draw for a bow is 35lbs. Middle school kids range from 11-13 they struggle in Gym class doing a pull up and a lot can barely pull the 30 lbs. bow they use in class as it is. They are lowering the age but with the bow poundage cut off it will not allow a lot of those kids at a lower age to bow hunt anyway. I have a few kids in class that could do it but many of them can't.

bow hunting has been 12 for years. This doesn't change that. this is for gun and crossbow.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

It needs to be 12 years old for gun.   The best way for a kid to possibly draw some blood is with a gun.  Thinking that a 12 year old will kill a deer with a bow is wishful thinking at best. 

Yep. My daughter came close, but couldnt get it done in 2 seasons. Shes no slouch when it comes to knowing what shes doing, shes been in the field with me since she was 4. My hats off to any 12 or 13 year old kids that got it done with their bows. The frustrations of bow season seem like the ass backwards way to introduce them to the sport. I hope this passes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yep. My daughter came close, but couldnt get it done in 2 seasons. Shes no slouch when it comes to knowing what shes doing, shes been in the field with me since she was 4. My hats off to any 12 or 13 year old kids that got it done with their bows. The frustrations of bow season seem like the ass backwards way to introduce them to the sport. I hope this passes.

Exactly the same for my grandson, the last two years! He shoots really well at targets. But has not put it all together yet on a live deer. Even when within his effective range. Those shakes and jitters at the moment of truth are hard for some 12 or 13 year olds to overcome with a bow. This year, he'll be 14. So hoping for one each with the bow and rifle. If this law was passed two years ago, can't help but think he would have already put that first one behind him. We all know, that first one is the hardest to kill! And also the most special. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, virgil said:

This would be great. Do we know when the vote is scheduled?

i don't believe it's scheduled for a floor vote yet. best for you and some buddies to call your rep in the NYS Assembly to say you support it.  When legislators constantly hear about an issue it becomes a thing that gets attention and moves.

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i don't believe it's scheduled for a floor vote yet. best for you and some buddies to call your rep in the NYS Assembly to say you support it.  When legislators constantly hear about an issue it becomes a thing that gets attention and moves.

Yeah, except for the crossbow. But that is another story all together. 

• Like 1

the deal with any legislation is that a bill exists in the assembly with a number and one in the senate with a number. both are the same though. only passing in both senate and assembly does it move onto the governor to become law.  it's passed in the senate but now has to in the assembly. legislature doesn't meet everyday and the sessions for this calendar year end in June. if it doesn't pass in both senate and assembly the process basically starts over.

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

Yeah, except for the crossbow. But that is another story all together. 

yea some are dead in the water for the time being.  bills like this can move though if they get enough attention. throughout the country there's only a few states even comparable to New York.  Most have no or very low minimum age requirements if with a hunting mentor. many others are 10 years old.  New York is the biggest prick to any kid that wants to get into hunting.

• Like 1

My daughter is 11 and has been shooting every week for 2 years now. She can hit a 4" circle at 20 yards and is on her 2nd compound. But if you put a live deer in front of her at 20 yards, as much as I love her I don't think she gets it done. But she has surprised me before so who knows. Either way she has a year to practice even more.. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sodfather said:

My daughter is 11 and has been shooting every week for 2 years now. She can hit a 4" circle at 20 yards and is on her 2nd compound. But if you put a live deer in front of her at 20 yards, as much as I love her I don't think she gets it done. But she has surprised me before so who knows. Either way she has a year to practice even more.. 

...but if she could use a gun or crossbow if she so chooses, now it's probably game on and you'd be one proud dad.  more kids grow up that crazier their schedules or broader their interests can be. by the time they're 14 hunting might take a back seat to other stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

...but if she could use a gun or crossbow if she so chooses, now it's probably game on and you'd be one proud dad.  more kids grow up that crazier their schedules or broader their interests can be. by the time they're 14 hunting might take a back seat to other stuff.

For Sure!!! I wish it was 12 , it is in Ohio I believe not %100 on that 

13 minutes ago, sodfather said:

For Sure!!! I wish it was 12 , it is in Ohio I believe not %100 on that 

i'm not 100% sure either but i was thinking it was one of the many states that's even lower than that as long as the kid is with a non-hunting but licensed adult.

32 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I would think that the 35lb minimum is more of an issue than skill for most 12-13yr olds that shoot. 

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Would be nice if they opened up crossbow in bow season right after......kids could bowhunt the whole season.  Then can eliminate the youth weekend completely cause they can hunt with a crossbow. just sayin....but too much to ask for i am sure.  

i would vote for a youth crossbow to replace youth gun. 

• Like 1

According to the General License info. on page 12 in the Hunting & trapping syllabus a junior youth ages 12-15 already can hunt small & big game if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian using a gun, bow, or X bow so isn't this already in effect?   I am for a lower age but with an adult.