Toringo Crabapple

I have never planted crab apples.  I plan on ordering Whitney crab apples from a nursery this year.  Deer will destroy apple trees if they find them and they are hungry.  I plant my seedlings in tree tubes for the first year, then switch them to wire cages once they are a little bigger.  No deer problems so far.  You can fence them individually using 4 or 5 foot tall fencing.  Just use the tag ends  of the fence, or zipties, to make a circle.  Anchor it with a couple T posts.  I would also recommend using some kind of wrap or paint or protection on the trunks, close to the ground.  Mice will chew the bark and girdle them when they are still small.  Good luck!

I have not, but i talked to someone who has and was very un happy with the quality in the DEC fruit trees last year. Not sure if they will be the same this year or not.. 

But I plan to pick up a few in one or two of their package deals. You should definitely at least tube them, and use a steel stake of some sort, and if possible fence them in. Last year the deer  tore my tubes out of the ground and away from the stakes during the winter, and ate most trees to the ground. So i would reccomend a small fence around each if possible. I know i will be.