What's the coolest thing you found in the woods?

helmut in the bush

Found original article.of man and moose pic above little easier to read..

If for some reason there is someone out there reading this who thinks this is a modern phenomena, it isn't. For example, there's the story of the hunter who is believed to have killed a moose back around 1905. No one knew that he killed that moose until 1923.

In 1923, the skeleton of the moose was found. Actually, the skeletal remains of the moose that he killed was found. The skeleton of the hunter was found beneath the remains of the moose. It's true. 

After finding the skeleton of the moose, it became obvious as to what happened. The hunter died in the process of killing the moose after it charged him.

We know about this because the story was reported by The Daily Inter Lake newspaper out of Kalispell, Montana. The first article about this was written in their newspaper back on July 16th, 1923:

FIND EVIDENCE OF OLD TRAGEDY 

img%2B%25281%2529.jpg
Mute evidence of a tragedy of the woods was discovered a few days ago by Joe McKelvey, park ranger, in the vicinity of Many Glaciers chalet, Glacier National park. 

In a thicket. about three miles north of Many Glaciers, Mr. McKelvey ran across the skeleton of a moose and upon closer investigation found parts of a human skeleton which clearly showed that some hunter years ago had shot and wounded a moose and then been killed by the animal. 

Close by was found a Springfield 45.70 rifle with the breech open, and a shell which had stuck told how the hunter had lost his life. He had evidently fought to a finish for a broken hunting knife was found on the ground. 

Old-timers in the vicinity of the park are of the opinion the skeleton is that of a French Canadian trapper who disappeared about 18 years, ago, but none remember his name. There is no doubt that the man lost his life a long time ago, for the bones are bleached, and the rubber shoes which the hunter was wearing are badly weather-worn. 

Mr. McKelvey got an excellent photograph of this tragedy of the hills. It shows the two skeletons where the combatants fell after their finish fight together with the rifle and other equipment of the hunter. 
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DDT said:

The best thing was in some big woods way back in, 20 some year's ago.  a Remington 870 leaning on a tree. Still loaded with slugs. Rusted up tight, stock split. Had to have been there a couple years. I am one to always like a challenge so, soaked it good for days with penetrating oil. Pounded the action open.  Sandblasted, parkerized by a buddy at Kodak. Hunted with it for a few years, killed some deer. Eventually traded it off. Wish I had kept it though.

Was this gun found on Growalot's property?  She's been known to capture trespassers and jail them in her dungeon for years and years.  If it was on her property you were trespassing also, so look out if she ever finds out who you are!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Wouldn’t you love to know the story behind why it was left there ? 

This was In some way back thick woods. I always envisioned some poor sap leaning the gun up and wandering aways away either to take a dump or drag his deer and when he went back was lost. It had a shell in the chamber and some in the magazine. I was pucker butted hammering the action open.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:36 PM, G-Man said:

20180125_183129.thumb.jpg.ffbcafa005e34ef822bb467e6fda2e1a.jpgThe coolest thing i found was this rock.. its a little smaller than a volleyball .. i know what it is and turned down a pretty good sum of cash for it.. anyone have anything like it?imageproxy.php?img=&key=0f83455fcf3d977120180125_183129.thumb.jpg.837b91330bf6af60c872c6b14b2276dc.jpg

So, what is it?  Looks like some sort or rare geological formation. 

55 minutes ago, Otto said:

So, what is it?  Looks like some sort or rare geological formation. 

This is a portable version of igneous intrusion not very common at all in this size to have a good example..maybe a stripe or half a rock.. the black / blue granite was formed first.  Was fractured miles underground and new magma pink granite was forced into cracks where it hardend..few million years and it was exposed on the Canadian shield.. then a glacier brought it down and dropped it here in southern new york.. here are some more common sizes.. 5a6c88cced2cf_images(2).jpeg.67209308807204c2e58cd14fd036bf84.jpeg6-30-15.jpg.32dd7b272567da930dbb41ecc7327eb7.jpg

• Like 6

I also found a shotgun several years ago . I was putting up posted signs on my SIL's property . I was on a neighbor's side in somewhat of a thick area and saw something laying on the ground . It was a Remington 20 gauge . I couldn't get the action open all the way but it appeared to be loaded with birdshot and the gun was quite rusty . I finished with the posted signs and took the shotgun to the neighbor . He had no idea who had left it there as his brother and nephews never mentioned losing a shotgun . I left it with him . It just seemed weird to find a shotgun laying out in a wooded area . 

Coolest thing I ever found in the woods was a moose shed in the Adirondacks. It was a big shed and in perfect condition. I was hunting out of a Friends camp and felt donating it to the camp was the right thing to do. I can't wait until I can find another because I want one for my basement trophy room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

There was the branches laid out as a pentagram I found last year.  I also found the skeletal remains of a doe with the skeletal remains of the fetus lodged in her hip bone.

Pics or you are FOS! Did you watch any of the Blair Witch movies before making this post? LOL!

On 1/27/2018 at 12:39 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Coolest thing I ever found in the woods was a moose shed in the Adirondacks. It was a big shed and in perfect condition. I was hunting out of a Friends camp and felt donating it to the camp was the right thing to do. I can't wait until I can find another because I want one for my basement trophy room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which County? if it's ok that I ask?