Liver and onions ....talk to me

turkeyfeathers

After not having this in many years I've had it twice in the last month   Calves liver, onions, bacon and mushrooms    My new favorite meal I gotta say    Anyone have a favorite way to cook it ? I'm sure I could google recipes but that's no fun   Cast iron skillet I'm sure, maybe flash sear it and put skillet in the oven under broil quick   Maybe sous vide first and then pan sear it ?   How many eat venison liver ? I'll be flying solo on this venture as the wife and daughter will not eat any

fry up bacon and onions in a large deep walled pan... no shrooms.
take a knife and thinly slice the liver and set aside.
cut up some potatoes into 1" or less cubes and dice up some carrots.
add can each of cream of broccoli and cream of chicken soup to the pan with bacon and onions.
add in potatoes and carrots, bringing it to simmer until potatoes are done but firm.
throw away liver and you know you've made a mean soup. plus you verified your knife is still sharp.

• Like 3

Liver and Onions is a couple times a year meal. Growing up on a beef farm we had it a lot. Cook bacon and onions together in butter in a cast iron pan. Then dredge the liver in seasoned flour add more butter to the pan with the liver cook till done. Delicious finish it topped with ketchup and hot sauce.

Edited by REDNECK4LIFE32
misspelled words
  • Like 2

Last time I ate liver I think I was about 8 or 9 years old.  We were heading to my uncles house after our meal and the whole way there I could feel my stomach turning.  Just as we got to his house out of my mouth came the liver right on my uncles doorstep.  True story.  Makes me sick just thinking about liver to this day.

My Dad used to love it and we saved the deer liver for him.  One of my uncles on my moms side - wasnt much of a hunter but did get a deer one year.  He called my Dad and told him he saved the liver for him and froze it.  So my Dad picked it up when we were out to visit, took it home and thawed it out......it was a lung!  

• Haha 3

Deer liver is my favorite...Most other livers ( beef & pork) are too strong for me but deer liver is always mild...

I slice it 3/8 to 1/2 half thick and take out all the veins, etc...

Dust in flour with salt & pepper....Fry in bacon fat until nicely brown on both sides...I also sautee a bunch of sliced onions in a separate pan in either butter ir bacon fat and serve with the liver... So good it makes you wanna slap yo MOMMA !!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

After not having this in many years I've had it twice in the last month   Calves liver, onions, bacon and mushrooms    My new favorite meal I gotta say    Anyone have a favorite way to cook it ? I'm sure I could google recipes but that's no fun   Cast iron skillet I'm sure, maybe flash sear it and put skillet in the oven under broil quick   Maybe sous vide first and then pan sear it ?   How many eat venison liver ? I'll be flying solo on this venture as the wife and daughter will not eat any

Cast Iron for sure,Cook onions bacon mushrooms first in oil or butter remove and put in covered dish.Season some flour of your choice with salt pepper and garlic in a gallon sized zip bag do not rinse liver just pat dry enough so flour still sticks shake in bag and cook about 4 mins per side return all other pre cooked goodness to pan and cover on low heat about 4 mins add A little butter mix and serve with spinach.This is my way of cooking live.I don't think I would use the sous vide for liver

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dom said:

Cast Iron for sure,Cook onions bacon mushrooms first in oil or butter remove and put in covered dish.Season some flour of your choice with salt pepper and garlic in a gallon sized zip bag do not rinse liver just pat dry enough so flour still sticks shake in bag and cook about 4 mins per side return all other pre cooked goodness to pan and cover on low heat about 4 mins add A little butter mix and serve with spinach.This is my way of cooking live.I don't think I would use the sous vide for liver

no no no no no!!!. no oil. Cook the bacon first and everything gets cooked in the bacon grease....lol. oil? sacrilege!!

Seriously though I cook it just like you Dom, except I do it in the bacon grease.   Has to be a touch pink in the center. over cooked liver is possibly one of the grossest thing on the planet. 

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

no no no no no!!!. no oil. Cook the bacon first and everything gets cooked in the bacon grease....lol. oil? sacrilege!!

Seriously though I cook it just like you Dom, except I do it in the bacon grease.   Has to be a touch pink in the center. over cooked liver is possibly one of the grossest thing on the planet. 

I myself use and cook in bacon/lard but most people wont think to cooking that way 

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

How many eat venison liver ? 

I used to eat more of it, but for the last 10 years or so, I limit it to button bucks only.  I have been blessed with one of those, about every other year, since I started hunting.    The flavor is excellent and it is very tender, probably my second favorite wild game.  The only thing better is pickled moose tongue.   Liver from older deer is chewier and not as tasty, so I leave it in the woods.  I prefer button buck liver over beef liver (of which I have access to an almost limitless supply), but not that from 1-1/2 yr or older deer, which is why the coyotes get all of that now.      

As far as cooking methods, I just fry up the fresh button buck liver in a pan with some olive oil and mix in a few onions.  It and the tenderloins never make it to the freezer and the liver is just a bit better.   I brought some Angus beef liver up to my in-laws last year and my father in law grilled it after marinating in BBQ sauce.   It was very good that way.