Cerakote or other options

Buckmaster7600

I have 2 rifles I want to get cerakoted or something similar. I want them as tough as possible because they are my two main tracking still hunting rifles and do/will get beat up.

Anyone have any recommendations/experience on where/what to have it done? Done care about looks just want durability. One of them is my old 760 that the blueing is shot on and gets rusty quick the other is a 7600 that has Remington's crappy bluing and rusts when there is rain in the long range forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am having my R700 VTR done this year that has that insta-rust Remington coating on it. Im going with Cerakote, and will be having it done through Avon Gun shop. Im sure they are sending things out to someone, Im not sure who exactly that is though. As long as they do a good job, I have a few more for them to do as well. My last house was more humid than I thought and some of my guns ended up with rust on some of the bluing even though we used dehumidifiers.

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I am having my R700 VTR done this year that has that insta-rust Remington coating on it. Im going with Cerakote, and will be having it done through Avon Gun shop. Im sure they are sending things out to someone, Im not sure who exactly that is though. As long as they do a good job, I have a few more for them to do as well. My last house was more humid than I thought and some of my guns ended up with rust on some of the bluing even though we used dehumidifiers.

My 11-87 has that same flat black finish.  If you just say the word "moisture" in the same room as the gun it rusts. 

• Like 1

I have just one firearm that has been finished with the Duracoat finish and it has held up very well so far, It was taken care of by the now defunct Gander Mountain's gunsmith. I think if I had a beat up firearm I would give the DIY Duracoat finish a shot myself, I have done a lot of stock work finishing over the years and enjoy working on guns in general. From the youtube videos I have watched on applying Duracoat it looks to be pretty straight forward and not hard.

On a high end firearm I really like what I see with that Black Ice Coating and would seriously consider, it is basically the same finish that was used on high end non stick cookware which is very durable and has natural slickness properties.

Al

Edited by airedale

8 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

I had a rifle cerakoted by Eddie Fosnaugh of Fosnaugh Customs. The job was superb and the turn around time rather fast. I believe it was a shade over $225. Highly recommend Eddie. 

Seen that name come up as recommended many times with out ever seeing a complaint.^_^

I have several non blued guns; a rifle that has Ilaflon and is similar to the black ice ; several factory Nitride barrels, they are very durable and weather resistant and my favorite; a handgun in QPQ/Melonite; all three have good looking black finishes that are non glare.

Also custom that has a coating very similar to Ceracoat that has logged some serious hard miles in rough, abrasive conditions. For the price could be the best buy IMO and you can get a choice of color if you want.

I Duracoated a 870 myself and it came out great, better than expected. Nice because I can always just redo any future bumps and bruises.