2018 Shed Thread

NonTypical

was watching one of those Encon officer shows and they were giving a guy a hard time about cutting the horns off a dead deer.  Said that he isnt supposed to possess any part of a deer without a tag for it.  First I thought what a jackhole, then thought well what about shed hunting ?  Wonder if anyones ever been given grief for this? 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Are there any books or other literature on how to train a young dog to find sheds ? My son acquired a German Short Hair pup . So far all it can find is ATV tracks . :rolleyes:  Nick is wondering how to train the pup .

Jeremy moore has some good video's on the subject.I use to watch him on bowhunting tv and was considering training a pup to shed hunt,But i decided to go with two beagles trained to small game hunt.

good luck to your son 

https://www.everythingsheddog.com/shed-antler-training-by-dog-bone-dgdsh.html

Saw a picture of a urban buffalo set that is supposed to go 2teens w 4 drops. Apparently there were a number of guys running this deer and each other ragged and he knocked his second, quoted to be 119” single side, off while being pursued by the guy who has both haves. He was described to me as being a non hunter and having his 4mo old child in a sling stylecarrier. Yes- I am very aware as to how many inches/feet of antler that is and would say it seems legit. A shed obsessed coworker showed me all the pics. Never realized how addicted people get and how crazy urban areas get related to them.

I have seen some farm county wNY bucks dropped and others carrying. Valentine’s Day was always when I started to get serious about my searching....perhaps this yr is different.

Because of you we can’t have nice things.

I've heard it's combat shed hunting in Stiglemeier park, and the rail yard too
  • Like 1

Out west. They all line up on opening day if shed season. Once they get the Ok people start sprinting to grab big elk and Muley sheds. It’s crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats on the public land, on the big leases you can take your time. That is assuming of course you have permission and/or are the lease holder with exclusive rights

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

They can sell those, can't they?

Yup. Big $. Sold by the lb. those elk sheds gotta weigh a ton.

In 2012, i scooped a bunch of muley sheds while I was hunting. I can only imagine how many I could have found if I spent time just looking for sheds

. 0cf3ab24d8bfaf1008c01b9d0982eb8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

was watching one of those Encon officer shows and they were giving a guy a hard time about cutting the horns off a dead deer.  Said that he isnt supposed to possess any part of a deer without a tag for it.  First I thought what a jackhole, then thought well what about shed hunting ?  Wonder if anyones ever been given grief for this? 
There are some states that you can only keep sheds from private land, shed hunting on public land is ILLEGAL, also a few states don't allow you to possess "deadhead" (finds with antlers still attached). Definitely some crazy laws out there. I'm not sure if in NY you are allowed to cut racks off of road killed deer, something tells me you probably aren't supposed to, but I know I have on a few occasions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1