2018 Shed Thread

NonTypical

There are some states that you can only keep sheds from private land, shed hunting on public land is ILLEGAL, also a few states don't allow you to possess "deadhead" (finds with antlers still attached). Definitely some crazy laws out there. I'm not sure if in NY you are allowed to cut racks off of road killed deer, something tells me you probably aren't supposed to, but I know I have on a few occasions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Tis the season to drive around with saws and muck boots in my trunk. I kind of hope a copper lights me up when I’m sawing through a skull. Just curious how that will play out.
Last year I had a mess of PD draw on me when shed hunting PUBLIC land that borders private Westchester homes. They were all confused about my searching the woods for sheds. I told them all about how hunting is all about BIG RACKS (FSW is my friend!) and since I can’t kill them (not skilled enough!) I have to pick them up.
They were so pissed I wasn’t a real bad guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Im throwing out a pre-hunt-Biz-like-prediction.... I am finding 8 points tomorrow after work and before I buy my craft beer (aka HIGH LIFE) for the weekend!!!

If you find a shed tomorrow, I’ll try for my first NY shed on Sunday.

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Tis the season to drive around with saws and muck boots in my trunk. I kind of hope a copper lights me up when I’m sawing through a skull. Just curious how that will play out.
Last year I had a mess of PD draw on me when shed hunting PUBLIC land that borders private Westchester homes. They were all confused about my searching the woods for sheds. I told them all about how hunting is all about BIG RACKS (FSW is my friend!) and since I can’t kill them (not skilled enough!) I have to pick them up.
They were so pissed I wasn’t a real bad guy!

Kinda shows the true story when hunters even have to go after big racks even when they cant kill the deer that carried them.  

It's all about the bone. Always has and Always will.

Kinda shows the true story when hunters even have to go after big racks even when they cant kill the deer that carried them.  

It's all about the bone. Always has and Always will.

Damn I wish coyote (and big racked deer!!!) were as easy to bait!!!

I looked for sheds yesterday when I was checking my trail cams . It was rough walking on thick and thin ice as well as some muddy areas . I trudged through some thickets and didn't find any . I went through some downed cat tails near a pond and found part of a skull from a 4 point . Not many bones by it .

Deer skull 2  2-15-18.jpg

deer skull 2-15-18.jpg

• Like 8

On 2/15/2018 at 10:01 AM, chrisw said:

There are some states that you can only keep sheds from private land, shed hunting on public land is ILLEGAL, also a few states don't allow you to possess "deadhead" (finds with antlers still attached). Definitely some crazy laws out there. I'm not sure if in NY you are allowed to cut racks off of road killed deer, something tells me you probably aren't supposed to, but I know I have on a few occasions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I had to get a tag for my dead head I am in Ulster county ny

Hope you don’t have plans Sunday!!58c222e996aa6e8eac48f0ac5df8a5df.jpg&key=ee03a5fdcd92dd6fea878c13b8fe2ff22fe849997f4dc05c83de5e4232389c2d

Wow impressive. But with 7” of snow coming, I guess my first ever NY shed find will have to wait. Where’d you find those- a bedding area or just randomly walking around?

The “paddle” one was in a bed off a trail under some down trees(this year’s shed). The longer crooked one was right off a run that I was walking.(last year’s I guess)
bc8c1b4e5e6c01f9cd13a7056728282c.jpg&key=f72c2b47d04c57104b09ed915e407e6a54eb699d3cb8ab129ec8e4713c675904
That’s all I first saw!

Nice. The crooked one is a cool/unique rack

Bang! My first NY shed. Thx for the motivation. I’ll post story and trail cam pics in my journal later.

d6c33441dbaca6fc697bbddc704fa292.jpg&key=0546dd173656e3f43891680eac6ee91811787e9a5f167e962fb07b0f5258f22d

63635852f5226f524781876e76406667.jpg&key=2e75fd176aeefee4fd437718030a78f8cfb8923caff5b69a0ef2166466477923

I was going to predict a find for you. Seems like first timers whether golfing, hunting, fishing m, CURLING often do the best to hook you in...nicely done-looks like somebody was gnawing on the tip a bit