Live from the rifle range

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

2 more sighted in. .450 is dialed in at 1" high at 100.  Can't wait to try that out this deer season.  

The 30/30 isnt as dialed but it also has a little 2 power scope on it, cause I don't like a big scope on it , feels awkward.  But it's still a deer killer at 100 yards.  All shots in the black on those little targets is a kill.  

One more gun to go - the favorite 12 gauge - before season and then it's all about bow practice once a week.  

Loving that 450 bushmaster - gonna be a tough call not to take it.  

rps20180620_165330.jpg

rps20180620_165354.jpg

You have to break the 450’s cherry on a deer.. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the range this afternoon to check the chuck gun at 200 yards. Been at the farm toting it around. Still connecting but have to be on for longer pokes. Didn't bother cleaning it. First cold bore shot hit althea center dot on the shoot-n-c 3" sticker. So I just had fun hammering a few of them. I had stuck on the target. Was holding 1/2 MOA and under groups.
9e10a53298f1b46462f38c3d4ab43b52.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Gotta show the good and bad sometimes. Not my best shooting for sure. Stretched out my backyard range to 400 yards. Need to figure out a good rest for prone shooting. May get a short bipod and i need a bigger bag for under the buttstock. This pic is from resting on a back pack.

qHJXOosA-23194873.jpg

• Like 2

i have two pivoting bipods... one for sitting or prone facing down hill and one for prone on more level ground. forget the lengths though. make sure you zero with it on and not resting on a hard surface (ground has some give) or your POI will change. when zeroing at the range i just use an old hand towel. then when setting up in the field make sure you're not right on ledge or rock.  legs should fold forward so it lets the gun recoil straight back rather than almost have a little more muzzle flip if they bottom out with recoil when folded other way. for your hand, a tightly rolled up hoodie or many other things work under the butt stock at that point.  i use them really only on my varmint gun and use the sitting length ones more. definitely good to get lower and more straight behind the gun for longer shots though.  thinking about getting AR500 plate at walmart. seems they're selling around 6" diameter ones. gives you better feedback. i can't see hits that well on shoot-n-c type paper targets much farther than that from my 18x scope.

edit: the short bipod is actually in the picture i last posted almost as short as it'll go. i guess reusable grocery bags in the wife's car work too.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Changed scopes on my grendel. Im going to save the Burris veracity for a dedicated long range gun. I hunt with the grendel so i wanted a little lighter setup. I put a leupold vx-r 4-12x40 on it. Real nice scope that i got at a very nice price. This is my first 200 yard group. Gotta get more ammo so i can shoor more! Any experts out there, the 200 yard target has the same vertical stringing as my 400 yard pictured just a smaller group. What can cause this, hot barrel?

xAk07mzX-702258608.jpg

14 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Changed scopes on my grendel. Im going to save the Burris veracity for a dedicated long range gun. I hunt with the grendel so i wanted a little lighter setup. I put a leupold vx-r 4-12x40 on it. Real nice scope that i got at a very nice price. This is my first 200 yard group. Gotta get more ammo so i can shoor more! Any experts out there, the 200 yard target has the same vertical stringing as my 400 yard pictured just a smaller group. What can cause this, hot barrel?

xAk07mzX-702258608.jpg

What app is that? That's pretty cool.

• Like 1

i don't think it's a hot barrel. not in just 3 shots. it'd string them more in a line i think. your well into sub-MOA so it could be any of a lot of things. it could be just the barrel harmonics and the way it groups. also it could be just you. when you're heart beats you might see a slight bounce in the crosshairs. depending on when the shot breaks i've always found them to effect up and down much more than L to R.  you've got a pistol grip which effects it less than standard rifle stock but pressure from your hand and on the trigger can do the same even if nice and square behind the gun. i'm not an expert.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

xAk07mzX-702258608.jpg

In addition to shooter fatigue, I have read a few times that vertical stringing can be caused by the fit with the barrel extension and the barrel nut on ARs.  Some suggested blue Loctite and claimed it solved the problem.  I am not expert just regurgitating what I read ... well maybe that makes me an "expert."  lol  Here is one thread where it was discussed.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Vertical_Stringing/118-539075/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

In addition to shooter fatigue, I have read a few times that vertical stringing can be caused by the fit with the barrel extension and the barrel nut on ARs.  Some suggested blue Loctite and claimed it solved the problem.  I am not expert just regurgitating what I read ... well maybe that makes me an "expert."  lol  Here is one thread where it was discussed.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Vertical_Stringing/118-539075/

Interesting read, ill work more on my breathing, see if that helps. Im going to check how tight everything is too. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I just got back from sighting in her new Weatherby Camilla in 7-08. For only being the second time she’s shot and having never shot a gun with a scope,  She  shot  very well. The 120 grain nosler ballistic tips  over 40 grains of reloader 15 grouped nicely. At the tail end she put 3 in the bullseye at 75 yards. 

Myself I put the scope back on the old super redhawk to try it again and we’ll its coming back off  and the  ultra dot red dot is going back on and staying on. I have such long arms that even 15 + inch eye relief hand gun scope Is very difficult for me to acquire. All in all we both shot pretty well.. 

2323340A-4E7B-4E86-B4C4-7F43BA8446D2.jpeg

A70B564D-1687-4A8E-91B1-217AA0020BFD.jpeg

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Got out to finish sighting in 30-06.  Just need to get that Maine moose draw golden ticket in a couple of weeks.  Been about 10 years of drawing.  Guess you never know.  But rifle should be good out to 250.

Pic is sideways. Shots are an inch + high at 100. Bullet is pointing down. 

IMG_20190523_105454254_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Got out to finish sighting in 30-06.  Just need to get that Maine moose draw golden ticket in a couple of weeks.  Been about 10 years of drawing.  Guess you never know.  But rifle should be good out to 250.

That is a minute of moose group no matter how you turn the picture!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

How much time you giving it between shots?  My ultralight 6.5 creedmoor AR10 would open up a bit if I didn't give it several minutes after 2-3 shots.  I guess that's the nature of a pencil barrel.  Regardless, the moose should be worried!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

How much time you giving it between shots?  My ultralight 6.5 creedmoor AR10 would open up a bit if I didn't give it several minutes after 2-3 shots.  I guess that's the nature of a pencil barrel.  Regardless, the moose should be worried!

It's like you were there!  Lol I had the same problem.  Had to stop after 3 shots cause barrel was hot as hell and I was getting shots right.   Those three on the farthest right were after three shots . I waited ten minutes and then shot three more.  Those 2 - 3 shot groups with a cooler barrell were all right above the bull for the most part. 

Had another target I started out on to dial it in but this one was the last target.  

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

It's like you were there!  Lol I had the same problem.  Had to stop after 3 shots cause barrel was hot as hell and I was getting shots right.   Those three on the farthest right were after three shots . I waited ten minutes and then shot three more.  Those 2 - 3 shot groups with a cooler barrell were all right above the bull for the most part. 

Had another target I started out on to dial it in but this one was the last target.  

Interesting, mine drifted right when the barrel was hot too.  Must be the earth's rotation or something like that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I've got a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor heavy barrel that does the same thing. 

Could be because its got a fair amount of powder.  My 223 with carbon fiber proof barrel can be shot all day at rapid fire and not lose accuracy but its only a 223.

• 1 month later...

Main deer rifles ready for season.  Put new scopes on them this year so had to dial them in. Good to go.  30/30 will see the most woods time. I don't bother with the muzzleloader or shotgun for now.  I now they are good to go. But got this put of the way .  Got to start a little bow shooting soon. 

On the way to range had to jump on the brake to miss an otter crossing the road.  Right by a swamp and Creek just about a 1.5 from the house.  Was cool to see , glad I didnt hit it.  

IMG_20190713_122549332_HDR.jpg

• Like 2