Live from the rifle range

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

Nice shooting zeek! Looks dialed in pretty good for the upcoming hunt!

That rifle isnt goin on that hunt. This just lays around till varmint season, maybe if i hunt my field during deer season. At about 13.5lbs its not much of a tree stand gun.

This is my son and the much lighter rifle goin on the hunt.

20190803_105116.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A little shooting this morn. Last dial in. 30/30 is on, I also took 4 shots with that.  But wanted to run a few thru the 06 again.  Last 3 shots at 100.  Liked the fusion ammo the best.  Ready for season.  

If I go again it will just be with a buddy to shoot and just shoot one or two shots to confirm.  

Didn't go on the lake cause of the crazy rain and flash floods watches last night. And too warm and humid for treestands today .  So this works. 

IMG_20190817_095628119_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190817_102319099_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Had a good time last night. Had 3 buddies come over at 8pm to shoot. We all wanted to dial in our varmit guns for the season. I had targets at 100, 200, and a 6 inch plate at 260. The plan was get them zeroed while we still had light and then shoot using our red lights. Shooting went well, i shot first at the plate at 260, 3 shots 3 hits. Then everyone elso took turns shootin. I took my last 3 shots at 10:10pm. We went down to check targets and on the way back 3 flashlights walkin down our path at us. I was like yep, someone called the cops on us lol. Got to talk to 3 nice sherriffs. Supposedly a neighbor was concerned with all the shooting and thought we may have been drinking. No one had a drink down there. It was funny to me and nice just bullshi#ting with the sherriffs. Didnt get any great pics but u can see the plate, my buddy put reflective tape on it to be like yote eyes.

20190817_213353.jpg

20190817_210902.jpg

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Got to talk to 3 nice sherriffs. Supposedly a neighbor was concerned with all the shooting and thought we may have been drinking.

That sucks..but at least no one got a "SWI" if there is such a thing:scratchhead:

37 minutes ago, Steve D said:

That sucks..but at least no one got a "SWI" if there is such a thing:scratchhead:

Not even a bottle of water down there. I wouldnt allow anyone to drink while shooting on my property. Im not mad what happened, i enjoyed talking with them. Learned a little of thier mind set on a certain topic i was interested in.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 10:16 AM, Gencountyzeek said:

Not even a bottle of water down there. I wouldnt allow anyone to drink while shooting on my property. Im not mad what happened, i enjoyed talking with them. Learned a little of thier mind set on a certain topic i was interested in.

Would you feel comfortable talking about this topic in a public forum ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the rifle a good scrubbing the other day, so decided to get it dirty today. First group is 3 shot 100 yard cold bore group. Then on to 200 yard 5 shot group. Was happy with that so the rest of the ammo went to the gong at 260. Love shooting this rifle. Going to see if i can get to a 700 yard range next week. Rifle is set for snow now too with its fancy ace bandge gun wrap stuff lol.

20190913_131125.jpg

Screenshot_20190913-140200_Range Buddy.jpg

Screenshot_20190913-140420_Range Buddy.jpg

20190828_125448.jpg

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 1

Took my grendel to potf shooting range in batavia. Walking it out to 700, started at 400, then 600, and finally 700. At 700 i went 4 of 7. Very hard to spot your own splash on a miss at that range with this little bullet. I was 3 for 3 at 1 point. Definitely gonna head back there soon.
You need a spotter.

Was the wind pushing to much to make the hits or was it you?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, TACC said:

You need a spotter.

Was the wind pushing to much to make the hits or was it you?

Wind wasnt bad, but first time shooting this gun past 400 yards. I was using the strelok app for my elevation adjustment and windage. Thats based off my best guesstimate for velocity of these rounds too. Next time i go i have to respray the targets, if it wasnt a swinger i couldnt tell if it was a hit or not, too many splashes on the targets already.

• Like 1

Wind wasnt bad, but first time shooting this gun past 400 yards. I was using the strelok app for my elevation adjustment and windage. Thats based off my best guesstimate for velocity of these rounds too. Next time i go i have to respray the targets, if it wasnt a swinger i couldnt tell if it was a hit or not, too many splashes on the targets already.
I use strelok also, but what I found out is the farther you go out, I've only taken my 6.5 CM out to a 1k yards so far, ammo speed gets more critical for correct calculations. Have you run 10 rounds through a magneto speed or other chrono?

The other thing that made a huge difference was the actual height of scope above bore.

Once I corrected my height of scope it made things much easier, I was only off by a little but at 800-1000, it wade a difference of 1/2 mil easy

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the 22nosler to the 100yrd range.. Found out how really horrible the mil spec trigger is..  A new larue 2 stage is set for delivery next week. But for a crappy gritty trigger, this gun shot the cheap ammo the best. these are after shooting 12 times with bore snake after each shot.. 55gr Dogtown tipped and 62gr Varmegeddon hp(upper left and upper right)..  I would like to think the new trigger will make all of these much better, It was not fun at all trying to hold steady and squeeze that pile of a trigger..  Decent start, but $26 for 50 rounds if they'll shoot less than MOA i probably wont even handload for it. 

nostarget.jpg

• Like 1