Live from the rifle range

• 1 month later...

Cold, wet, and miserable this evening. Had an hour before sunset so I headed to the range with my browning 30-06 to check it for first time this year. Also brought the new 7mm-08 browning I picked up from form member billdogge. Saturday had a gathering and quickly got it dialed in to 200 with 3 shots reduced recoil stuff quickly so a new hunter I'm mentoring could get some trigger time. figured I'd check it too.

7-08: first 2 touched. Then rang some prehung steel out there in 100 yard increments. Came back and took last two rounds of the box back on paper. Drifted an inch but still touched.

30-06: in the bullseye to start a touch left. Did some test groups with different ammo including 178gr eldx. Everything new was MOA and nothing better but good to go.

Take away... 7-08 seems real accurate. Still need to keep working toward getting into reloading for this 30-06 to get better.
23b34a0a065cdcb99c1e4c3250f6ae76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

My son got a savage 7-08 for christmas from Grandma & Grandpa. It was the one cabelas had cheap on black friday. After rebates and club points my dad got it for $187. Gave us a handful of different rounds to test out. I got it close then let him shoot. Its getting a new scope so i wasnt worried about being perfect. He made up a target to shoot. His 1st 3 were 140gr rem cor loks, next 3 were 120gr nosler bt. Handle it goid, he was happy he got the lungs everytime. The 120s he shot were right around 2" at 100 yards. Not too shabby. 

I also got a savage for Christmas from my wife. Model 11 trophy hunter xp in .204. Waiting for it to come in. The local gun shop had to have one shipped in. Its goin to be my new yote gun.

20191225_195840.jpg

20191228_132411.jpg

20191228_132919.jpg

20191228_134350.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

My son got a savage 7-08 for christmas from Grandma & Grandpa. It was the one cabelas had cheap on black friday. After rebates and club points my dad got it for $187. Gave us a handful of different rounds to test out. I got it close then let him shoot. Its getting a new scope so i wasnt worried about being perfect. He made up a target to shoot. His 1st 3 were 140gr rem cor loks, next 3 were 120gr nosler bt. Handle it goid, he was happy he got the lungs everytime. The 120s he shot were right around 2" at 100 yards. Not too shabby. 

I also got a savage for Christmas from my wife. Model 11 trophy hunter xp in .204. Waiting for it to come in. The local gun shop had to have one shipped in. Its goin to be my new yote gun.

20191225_195840.jpg

20191228_132411.jpg

20191228_132919.jpg

20191228_134350.jpg

That’s awesome, tell him nice shooting and nice rifle ..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

20191225_195840.jpg

20191228_132411.jpg

20191228_132919.jpg

20191228_134350.jpg

There we go ! I have the exact rifle I share with my daughter. Love it !  I ( Treeguy) dropped in a new trigger spring bought from MCarbo for $11. Took mere minutes.  Night n day difference.  I also swapped out the optics to a Leupold v3 2.5x 10. Tack driver.  Nice shooting little guy   What an awesome gift from grandpa 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

There we go ! I have the exact rifle I share with my daughter. Love it !  I ( Treeguy) dropped in a new trigger spring bought from MCarbo for $11. Took mere minutes.  Night n day difference.  I also swapped out the optics to a Leupold v3 2.5x 10. Tack driver.  Nice shooting little guy   What an awesome gift from grandpa 

Was looking at the trigger kit last night. Definitely getting it soon. 

1 minute ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Was looking at the trigger kit last night. Definitely getting it soon. 

I'd be hesitant to monkey with a trigger spring in your boy's gun.  He doesn't need a lightened or crisper trigger at this stage of his learning.  YMMV of course.......

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'd be hesitant to monkey with a trigger spring in your boy's gun.  He doesn't need a lightened or crisper trigger at this stage of his learning.  YMMV of course.......

It drops it to a 3.5lb trigger. Nothing crazy, i have had him shoot my grendel with a 1.5lb trigger. Teaching him proper safety with a gun goes a long ways. Id trust him with a gun more then a bunch of people ive shot/hunted with. I do understand were your coming from and appreciate the advice.

a butchered trigger pull by the individual will be hidden with a lighter pull specs wise. assuming crispness, creep, and all that are still fine someone who has control to shoot a heavy trigger will be a better marksman. give them a lighter trigger after they've dealt with the heavier one decent enough. i learned and am still learning this with NRA bullseye pistol competition. i agree 3.5 lb shouldn't matter as much. safety is all the same. booger hook shouldn't be on the trigger or in the guard unless you're intentionally firing a shot.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A couple weeks ago, I got my short range deer and bear gun sighted on my 50 yard bench.  I took care of the longer range ones on my 100 yard bench this morning. 

Ammo scarcity and high prices have severly limited my target practice this year.  I settled for one shot each from my 30/06 (1/4" left and 1/4" low), and my 12 gauge bolt action shotgun (1" left and 2-1/2" high).

It took 4 shots to get my 50 cal ML dialed in but that was no big deal because ammo is still real easy to get for that (apparently the prepper/hoarders are not into ML's).  I upped my powder charge from (2) 777 pellets to the max of (3) on that to gain a bit of range.   

20200912_220631.jpg

20200912_220615.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Didn't take any pics but today was a productive day. Sighted in two .12 gauge slug guns, a .223 rifle, two .22 rifles, and one .22 magnum. Got them all cleaned, oiled, and put away ready to go.

Got enough to get started anyway :locomotive:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...