Got sprayed

Water Rat

Last year ,  as I got near my stand I knelt down to get my jacket out of my pack and put it on, when I noticed a “ weed”swaying back and forth a few feet in front of me .

I grabbed my headlamp and what do you know , it’s a skunk , tail up and moving back and forth ....

I slowed backed away, and all was well.

Worse encounter with a skunk several.years ago at camp.. woke up and went out back door huge skunk at bird feeder.. friend decides he want it to mount.. so he shoots it with .22 it rolls over amd.pisses a 3 ft stream into the air.. no big deal.close door.. problem is we weren't using forced air furnace to heat with but had wood burner in front addition going to heat.place.. the cold air was being drawn in thru the furnace exhaust stack.  And so was the stink... was so strong you could taste it in the air.. took. A few minutes before we realised to crank the thermostat to stop the draft coming in....sigh.. never.forget that morning..

• Like 1

Years ago, when I was a mere wisp of a lad, I  attempted to get a skunk out of a fox set  at close quarters and received a FULL FRONTAL  hose down... You have to experience it to believe it...It  burns when it contacts your skin, penetrates your sinuses   and kind of totally overwhelms you   When I got home my Mom made me strip before she would let me come in the house...I bathed in all kinds of stuff and still stunk for a week...My Woolrich coat hung in the shed for about 8 months before the smell finally wore off...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, Pygmy said:

Years ago, when I was a mere wisp of a lad, I  attempted to get a skunk out of a fox set  at close quarters and received a FULL FRONTAL  hose down... You have to experience it to believe it...It  burns when it contacts your skin, penetrates your sinuses   and kind of totally overwhelms you   When I got home my Mom made me strip before she would let me come in the house...I bathed in all kinds of stuff and still stunk for a week...My Woolrich coat hung in the shed for about 8 months before the smell finally wore off...

My best or worst experience depending how you look at it was a skunk in a dirthole for fox. Only had my trapping axe with me . I slowly approached it and it faced me. Hmmmm, ideal situation I thought  I slowly crept up to it kneeling for a quick thwack of the axe to dispatch  It was a front paw catch and now jumps up on its front legs and shoots me square in the face from a 2 feet away. I stunk for a week   My yearbook was littered with comments about smelling like a skunk and Brut cologne I tried to cover up the stench with. Not one of my brightest moments

• Like 1