ATV size food plot equipment wanted

Im looking for some ATV sized equipment for food plots at my new place. The ground is too rocky for a tiller and Id rather not tear up the trails as much with a tractor, so I plan on doing everything with my ATV. I am already all set with a spreader and sprayer. I would like to find a 6-8 foot 2 row disc and a 6-10 foot cultipacker or roller. Let me know what you have.

I've got a 4 ft (or maybe it's 5 ft) single row tow-behind disc that I use occasionally behind a 660 Yamaha Grizzly.

That disc works my ATV pretty good. In the summer, my Grizz runs super hot pulling that thing across rocky ground. I would think a double row disc like you are looking for would be just way too much for mine.

I've also got a 3 point hitch double row disc the same size as you want that I use behind a 38 HP diesel tractor. That seems just about right, but even that gets bogged down just a tad when going up a decent grade.

What do you have to pull it with?

Edited by Steuben Jerry

39 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I've got a 4 ft (or maybe it's 5 ft) single row tow-behind disc that I use occasionally behind a 660 Yamaha Grizzly.

That disc works my ATV pretty good. In the summer, My Grizz runs super hot pulling that thing across rocky ground. I would think a double row disc like you are looking for would be just way too much for mine.

I've also got a 3 point hitch double row disc the same size as you want that I use behind a 38 HP diesel tractor. That seems just about right, but even that gets bogged down just a tad when going up a decent grade.

What do you have to pull it with?

Its a Yamaha Viking. Ive pulled a 6 foot double row disc with it before, also a 8 or 10 foot drag harrow set as deep as it would go in soft, plowed up dirt as well as a 16 foot cultipacker. It will do the job with the differential lock on and a cool down period or two if its hot out.

WNYBH i wish you were searching a couple months ago, lol. I gave away 3 sets of harrow drags like in your picture and a a set of pull behind disks. I came across a guy scrapping it all on craigslist, gave him 150$ for everything. Kept the good 8" double gang of disks and the best harrow drag, and the single 4" for my no till planter and gave away the rest..

Ill check next time i go to camp, but i think it all has been claimed for.. 

Im holding off right now, as I was given the green light to buy a tractor, as we need something to plow our road and work on firewood stuff, clear trails in the woods, etc. Looking at the same one we were last year, a 45hp Kioti 4wd, which will be more than enough to handle a disc, etc.

Thanks though guys.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im holding off right now, as I was given the green light to buy a tractor, as we need something to plow our road and work on firewood stuff, clear trails in the woods, etc. Looking at the same one we were last year, a 45hp Kioti 4wd, which will be more than enough to handle a disc, etc.

Thanks though guys.

DK or the NX series?

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Dk4510 shuttle. We looked at one last year, but decided the ATV was fine for what we needed at the old place and picked up a Scag commercial zero turn for lawn duties. We no longer have a large lawn, so we are selling the Scag and buying a small mower and the tractor. 

FWIW Kioti sometimes run deals and you can get the DK50 series for cheaper than the 40 series. The 50 series isn't much bigger than 40 size wise either. This past April they had the DK50 series for dirt cheap when I was calling around, I could have had a DK5010 for $16k with the loader when the 4510 was going for $18k.

43 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

FWIW Kioti sometimes run deals and you can get the DK50 series for cheaper than the 40 series. The 50 series isn't much bigger than 40 size wise either. This past April they had the DK50 series for dirt cheap when I was calling around, I could have had a DK5010 for $16k with the loader when the 4510 was going for $18k.

The DK5010 is the same physical size as the DK4510, just 5hp more. Where did you get those prices from?

Get the hydraulic remote,  which is an option with Kioti today.  Comes in very handy for the extra $.  The older DK 40's(  DH4510) came standard with them along with a 4 cylinder engine and metal hood, fenders. The 4 cylinder would start in the coldest of weather and run very smooth, not shaking the fenders. These tractors would sell themselves, LOL.  Kioti  had to replace the 4 with  3- 183 engine to meet tier 4.  Only thing  I don' t like on  todays Kioti's is the fiberglass.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Get the hydraulic remote,  which is an option with Kioti today.  Comes in very handy for the extra $.  The older DK 40's(  DH4510) came standard with them along with a 4 cylinder engine and metal hood, fenders. The 4 cylinder would start in the coldest of weather and run very smooth, not shaking the fenders. These tractors would sell themselves, LOL.  Kioti  had to replace the 4 with  3- 183 engine to meet tier 4.  Only thing  I don' t like on  todays Kioti's is the fiberglass.

DK 40's also had extendable lower lift arms which made it very handy for hooking up 3 point hitch equipment. I don't see them listed as standard equipment. If available, sure would be worth paying extra. 

Something we were after Daedong to install on these smaller tractors was a lever to raise and lower 3 point hitch arms from  the rear of the tractor. That comes in very handy also. Saves having to move the implements around by hand or going up on the platform. The 55 had it on as standard equipment. 

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

Buck hunter check out Bruno's power sports in Arkansas. Free delivery and no sales tax. I bought a Massey 2706 (60 hp) for 24,000 no one could come close. He also has Kioti which I almost bought. I like how they have a lever on the back to raise the 3 point hitch while standing at the back of the tractor where you can see it close up. Good luck

If you get a new CUT for foodplotting, make sure to order it with AG (R1) tires, not the Industrials (R4) that 90 % of them are supplied with.   That way you will be able to develop much more traction force on soft ground.   R4's become slicks after one revolution in mud and do nearly as much damage to turf as R1's do.   Their only advantage is slightly better puncture resistance.  For foodplot usage, that no where near makes up for the sacrifice in traction.   A 4wd tractor with R4's can only develop traction force about equal to an equal weight 2wd tractor with R1's.  That is a pretty big waste of a very expensive front drive system.   

I don't know if R4 in 4 wheel drive is equal to R1 in 2 wheel drive. I have R4s on my tractor with no chains and had no problem in 14" of wet sloppy slushy snow this weekend up in the Catskills. My neighbor has R1 with chains and I went anywhere he went cleaning snow. The only time I slid was in 12" of mud on on a grade sideways. Now I got the tires loaded and haven't had a problem since.