African Hunter

ryno botma

16 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Ryno

What caliber do you typically recommend for a safari?  Do you supply rifles or do people bring their own?  I have no idea how difficult travel is overseas with a rifle.

It all depends on the species your after and the area your hunting , I always say bring the gun that you are most comfortable with generally any .30 calibre will be more than sufficient to kill all plains game up to eland .

However if you are looking at going to the eastern cape and your going to be taking some long shots over 300yards the 7mm or .270 calibers also works well and are more than enough gun , just use premium bullets .

My favorite caliber for all the plains game would be 30-06 or any of the .300 range .

Should you be going for buffalo elephant ect I would say .375 and you can hunt all the plainsgame with that as well .

For the import we use a company that does all the paperwork for you  beforehand and the cost runs around $150 for everything per rifle this is well worth it as they try to make it as pain less as possible and you don't have stress about anything .

Should you still not prefer to go trough all the effort to import your own rifle we have rifles to rent in various calibers cost runs you $35 per day ammo included .

Africa always sounds daunting but it really is not as scary as people make it sound once you've done it once you will be hooked for life .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the professional hunters I hunt With knows him very well, he did his apprenticeship under him .

He is mainly based in the eastern cape but also hunted all over southern Africa .

Not sure if he himself still hunts but they run quite a big operation down here .

• 2 weeks later...
Management elephant bull hunted on one of our areas for population control , he broke one of his tusks on a rock when going down thus the black band on the tusk .IMG-20180806-WA0002.thumb.jpg.1b67e4a9a76b9fe029f604c89917b45c.jpg
Just out of curiosity what does a management Bull hunt cost? I know my taxidermist charges around 20-25k to do a shoulder mount so figured might as well see what the hunt itself goes for

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

15 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Just out of curiosity what does a management Bull hunt cost? I know my taxidermist charges around 20-25k to do a shoulder mount so figured might as well see what the hunt itself goes for

Hi they go for around $15000- 25000 depending on availability and area 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Looks like I have some serious saving to do then, either that or hit the lottery

And most likely you have to be single as well.

"No, hon, I am not driving a mini-van and we are not getting a second car.  Oh, by the way, I'll be in Africa next month."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And most likely you have to be single as well.
"No, hon, I am not driving a mini-van and we are not getting a second car.  Oh, by the way, I'll be in Africa next month."
Well the girlfriend and future doesn't really want me to shoot an elephant so even if I had the money may be a hard sell to get it in the house after the fact let alone if she'd ever talk to me again lol

7 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Well the girlfriend and future doesn't really want me to shoot an elephant so even if I had the money may be a hard sell to get it in the house after the fact let alone if she'd ever talk to me again lol

You should be able to hide a fully body mount somewhere without her noticing.

• Like 3

Maybe she’s not the one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe she’s not the one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blasphemy! And I'm sure she would, but would likely be a bit upset both that I had just dropped over 100k on a hunt assuming full body or over 50-70k for a shoulder mount. And that it was an elephant

• Like 1

Unless one is very wealthy, I don't think there are too many women who'd be happy with the husband spending up to $25K of the family finances to shoot an elephant.  I honestly don't know if I could blame them either.  I'd surely be pissed if she wanted to spend that much on jewelry or some other girlie nonsense.

Unless one is very wealthy, I don't think there are too many women who'd be happy with the husband spending up to $25K of the family finances to shoot an elephant.  I honestly don't know if I could blame them either.  I'd surely be pissed if she wanted to spend that much on jewelry or some other girlie nonsense.

At this point its either a ring or an elephant and loneliness. Looks like an elephant will have to wait

3 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

At this point its either a ring or an elephant and loneliness. Looks like an elephant will have to wait

You could be mugged flashing jewelry around.  Not too many cat burglars are going to haul out a full body elephant mount.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You could be mugged flashing jewelry around.  Not too many cat burglars are going to haul out a full body elephant mount.
This is true. But a full body is close to 100k. Damn we need more pictures Rhyno. Deer Season can't come soon enough!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By TheHornHunter
      I put up another post a few days ago about the buck I harvested and the favorable weather setup I took advantage of. A member replied asking me to expand on this and how barometric pressure impacts deer movement so I decided to make a new post about it.
      Cold fronts are one of the best catalysts for deer movement and there are  three phases to any cold front which we will discuss later as it relates to hunting. I’ve generalized the wind conditions below which are based on our typical north westerly winds for cold fronts but we occasionally have a NE system come through:
      Just before: winds will typically shift NW to N and barometric pressure will start increasing as temps slowly start to drop During: winds typically still NW to N, barometric pressure is high (30.2+) but typically flattens out as temperatures bottom After: winds shift S to SW, barometric pressure starts dropping as temps increase Before we get to the hunting part I think it’s worth explaining why cold fronts impact deer movement and how the deer react and interpret the weather conditions. Cold weather causes deer to use more energy to sustain which means they need to eat more and thus must head to food more during day light. During the rut it also drives more movement because it’s more favorable for bucks to run around – think about working out on a 90 degree July day vs. a 60 degree September day; I bet you can do a lot more and be more comfortable in September than July. So how do deer react to a cold front? Deer can sense changes in barometric pressure - I believe through a sensor in their ear - and they know if it starts rising that probably means colder weather is coming and vice versa when it drops. This means you’ll see movement just before it hits because deer will sense the pressure rising and will hit the feed to try and get enough reserves to get through whatever is coming. Once the cold is here and pressure is high they will typically continue to feed heavy or if during rut running around like crazy (partly because does are out more trying to eat). Finally, once the pressure starts dropping deer will understand better conditions are coming which I find usually has one good day of movement where deer are out restocking feed reserves and getting their social fix; after the first day of warmer temps I find movement drops off pretty drastically.
      Now to the fun part – how do you hunt them? Most of you know how powerful a October or early-to-mid November cold front can be at getting deer – especially mature bucks – up on their feet and I think any one of the above phases is a good time to be in the woods, although I’ve seen the most movement in #2 when temps are the lowest followed by #1 just before it hits and deer are preparing for it.
      That all changes from my experience once we get past the middle of November - they are still just as powerful (if not more) at driving movement but require different tactics. The cold fronts are now much colder with typically higher wind speeds and the deer are much more run down from already going through the bulk of rut. This translates to much more movement on phase #1 when the first northerly winds come in and pressure starts rising (signaling to deer bad weather ahead and the need to feed) and phase #3 when wind switches out of the south, temps start rising and pressure starts falling (signaling to deer the coast is clear and better conditions ahead). I’ve spent many lonely cold hours in the stand during the middle of those cold fronts thinking deer would be out feeding hard when temps are the lowest but based on my observations they more so just hunker  down in thermal bedding and forage on whatever is close to that. It’s almost like they avoid movement to try and conserve as much food reserves as they can which makes sense given the difference in temps (an October / early November cold front probably bottoms out at 20-40F while later season they will usually be single digits). I think the very low movement characteristics of phase #2 really enhance phase #3 which is by far my favorite time to hunt one of these cold fronts - phase #1 is good too and I definitely go out but I generally stay out of woods during phase #2 and do stuff like pull trail cam cards, put up new sets, etc. Deer are social creatures and become more like humans late season in that they don’t like nasty weather any more than us. Deer will crave social interaction after being bottled up for a couple days dealing with extreme cold so there’s two powerful factors driving movement in phase #3 (need to restore feed reserves and get their social fix). If you get one of these cold fronts from say 11/15 to 11/25 then you add another even more powerful factor and that’s the desire to breed with the tail end of rut. Bucks will finish breeding any does they are locked down with during the cold front but they don’t really go out seeking new ones until weather gets better so you can see some powerful seeking and chasing on the first south wind after a cold front (especially with mature bucks).
      This is exactly what happened on my hunt – Tuesday afternoon the winds shifted NW and pressure started rising so I jumped in an observation stand overlooking a creek bed and rye grass field on one of my properties and saw quite a few does and some bucks (including a big frame 10) hitting the tallest section of grass an hour before sunset. Temps dropped to single digits Wednesday and Thursday – I ended up hunting Thursday because it was thanksgiving and who doesn’t hunt on Thanksgiving (?!) but only saw a few does – I usually see at least one 3 year old buck and minimum of 10-15 deer every time I hunt this property so this was a very slow day. Friday AM was still very cold but winds switched to the south, pressure started dropping, and it was probably 35 degrees by 2PM when I headed out. I went to the closest spot I could get to where I saw the deer feeding in the rye on Tuesday which happened to be in a hedgerow – we didn’t have a stand on it so I put some brush together and made a DIY blind to ground hunt from. I had a 3 year 130-140 class 8 pointer cruise by within 60 yards of me less than ten minutes after I was set up and had constant action the rest of the evening (two mature bucks, two 3 year olds, three 2 year olds and ~15 small bucks and does). I had 8 does in front of me in the rye around 430PM when I saw one snap her head back to the creek bed at the head of the hedgerow I was on and a second later I had my buck in sight at a full run after her grunting like crazy. I couldn’t stop him and ended up shooting him on the run, but it was something I will never forget and is a good example of how powerful the action can be right after one of those brutal late November cold fronts.
      The best stand locations are pinch points between bedding and food or right on a food source (my favorite are green ones like winter wheat, clover, rye, etc. or a cut corn field). I like to sit an observation stand where I can see a lot of ground on the first phase so I can get an idea of where the deer are moving and then I move in on those spots and either ground hunt or do a hang and hunt on that first day of southerly winds (unless of course I’m lucky enough to already have a set hung there but I’m usually not that lucky).
      I hope this helps explain my strategy better and helps one of you put a nice buck on the ground! Definitely let me know if anyone has any questions or has different opinions or experience on the matter.
      --- Horn Hunter
    • By ryno botma
      Hi guys new member here from South Africa.
      My name is Ryno Botma I'm a professional hunter and ranch manager in south Africa.
      Along with Kwalata safaris we hunt all over southern Africa and Mozambique , we are just trying to expand our horizons and get our name out there .
      Pleas feel free to ask any questions and have a look at our website www.kwalatasafaris.co.za 
      You can also watch our promotional video with the link below 
      Please feel free to send me a mail regarding our specials for 2018             [email protected]
            [email protected]
      Best regards 
      Ryno