Anyone own one of these ?

Mag lock is the way to go in my experience. The spurs and odd stocks all felt really weird to me. Are you set on 556/223 cal? Check out the 6.8spc. You will be able to use it for deer, and it will attach to the ar15 lowers.  I have a stag model 7 hunter. Its one of the most accurate guns in my safe. 20 inch medium contour barrel is really nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGroundhog said:

Mag lock is the way to go in my experience. The spurs and odd stocks all felt really weird to me. Are you set on 556/223 cal? Check out the 6.8spc. You will be able to use it for deer, and it will attach to the ar15 lowers.  I have a stag model 7 hunter. Its one of the most accurate guns in my safe. 20 inch medium contour barrel is really nice.

Could do the 300 blackout too. 

6 minutes ago, MrGroundhog said:

That’s true. No direct experience with the 300 but from what I read the 6.8 shoots flatter further. You could also look into the 6.5 Grendel. 

The BC for the .30cal is slightly better depending on the bullet and you can go down to weights used in the .277cal bullets. If you went with the 300 blackout round you would get a much larger bullet variety than the 6.8/.277 bullet selection if you wanted to reload. The over the shelf rounds have some variety but mostly on the heavier end. I saw some people loaded the 300 blackout with 220 grain bullets. That would be an awful heavy bullet but for coyotes but would do a licking on deer out to 100 yards. 

6 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Could do the 300 blackout too. 

Do you have experience with those ? I did a little reading and guys were having trouble cycling the next round and a common fix was to add silencer to create more back pressure . Just wondering if there is a fix other then the silencer if this is really a common issue.

I have a fair anount of knowledge when it comes to the AR world. The maglok is not legal in nys, in fact atleast 10 people have been arrested because of it. The way the safe act explains it the magazine cannot be removed easily with hand tools. Thats why if you buy a AR with the mag pinned from a dealer if they want to keep their ffl it will have epoxy over the allen head screw in the mag release. As far as "building" an ar or buying a already built one, you can save alot of money buy putting a upper together with a lower. I would look into uppers from aero precision. Goid prices and good quality. For speed loaders for fixed mags look at Bear flag defense speed loaders, better built than the mean arms.

16 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Do you have experience with those ? I did a little reading and guys were having trouble cycling the next round and a common fix was to add silencer to create more back pressure . Just wondering if there is a fix other then the silencer if this is really a common issue.

Should be able to change the buffer spring out to a lighter one, I think you actually have more backpressure with the 300 blackout than the .223.

13 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I have a fair anount of knowledge when it comes to the AR world. The maglok is not legal in nys, in fact atleast 10 people have been arrested because of it. The way the safe act explains it the magazine cannot be removed easily with hand tools. Thats why if you buy a AR with the mag pinned from a dealer if they want to keep their ffl it will have epoxy over the allen head screw in the mag release. As far as "building" an ar or buying a already built one, you can save alot of money buy putting a upper together with a lower. I would look into uppers from aero precision. Goid prices and good quality. For speed loaders for fixed mags look at Bear flag defense speed loaders, better built than the mean arms.

As far as legalities go I have talk with several law enforcement and they told me if you can not remove the mag while in the gun assembled you are NYS compliant. He said to check they press the button and pull on the mag. If it doesn't come out you are legal. They also all told me that splitting the gun should make it inoperable and can have the mag removed at that point. They said it has nothing to do with tools or time it takes to remove the mag stop/retention device. They also went on to say if the mag can be inserted but not removed it is considered compliant. I know that sounds kind of backwards but he said it can not accept a new mag which makes the gun compliant.This is what the troopers, and town cops are doing in my area (Horseheads, Corning, Elmira). I can not vouch for other areas but they all told me if it can be removed before splitting the gun then it is Illegal with any other features.

So if it were me with the ARmaglock you are best to do 2 things leave an empty mag in the gun while transporting or completely tear it down to 2 pieces and package separately while retaining the mag in the lower. Either way once the gun is assembled you can not remove the mag. IF the gun is in pieces it is considered gun parts even if you bought a bare lower from an FFL. They run a NICS check as gun parts not not a firearm. So can't call it a firearm if the federal government or any state law dictates it as so.

2 hours ago, chas0218 said:

As far as legalities go I have talk with several law enforcement and they told me if you can not remove the mag while in the gun assembled you are NYS compliant. He said to check they press the button and pull on the mag. If it doesn't come out you are legal. They also all told me that splitting the gun should make it inoperable and can have the mag removed at that point. They said it has nothing to do with tools or time it takes to remove the mag stop/retention device. They also went on to say if the mag can be inserted but not removed it is considered compliant. I know that sounds kind of backwards but he said it can not accept a new mag which makes the gun compliant.This is what the troopers, and town cops are doing in my area (Horseheads, Corning, Elmira). I can not vouch for other areas but they all told me if it can be removed before splitting the gun then it is Illegal with any other features.

So if it were me with the ARmaglock you are best to do 2 things leave an empty mag in the gun while transporting or completely tear it down to 2 pieces and package separately while retaining the mag in the lower. Either way once the gun is assembled you can not remove the mag. IF the gun is in pieces it is considered gun parts even if you bought a bare lower from an FFL. They run a NICS check as gun parts not not a firearm. So can't call it a firearm if the federal government or any state law dictates it as so.

Im not looking to argue, i just know from my ffl whos main business is AR rifles the mag lock is not legal. He has to know the laws its his business. He has had lawyers call him to explain the details of the safe act. I work gun shows with him so i have to know what im talking about too. I think its all stupid and should go away but that aint happening anytime soon. As far as breaking the rifle into a upper and lower again. If the lower is complete (pistol grip,trigger group etc) and has no mag in it technicly its illegal. The lower is the registerd part of the gun, it is the firearm. So it would be illegal to have a pistol grip with a detachable mag. Agai i think its all horse poop. Also im sure 80% of the police force could care less as long as your not acting like an a$$ with the gun.

I'm with gen. Again, safe act verbage is cannot accept a detachable mag. Tools, broken down etc doesn't matter, if the mag can come out, it's not compliant. Again, just what I was told by a pro who relies on his mortgage payment by selling compliant guns.

Lots of municipalities have different methods. Some also let you go 5mph over the speed limit--- doesn't mean it's legal. I'm not at all trying to argue cause this state would love if us gun owners battled to the death, just don't think it's worth the headache of running into that one cop who's says your not compliant.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

All you need is to run into that one LEO who had a fight with his wife before starting his shift. 

Lol for the purpose of this forum let’s assume the mag is pinned. And the rifle doesn’t leave my hunting camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I'm with gen. Again, safe act verbage is cannot accept a detachable mag. Tools, broken down etc doesn't matter, if the mag can come out, it's not compliant. Again, just what I was told by a pro who relies on his mortgage payment by selling compliant guns.

Not true
But, the ability of a semiautomatic pistol or semiautomatic rifle to accept a detachable magazine are not sufficient to turn the firearm into an assault weapon. The weapon must have at least one additional “assault weapon” feature.