Soybean questions

We had planted feed corn for a few years in two different areas one slightly larger then half acre and the other lightly less then a half acre using a Ford 309 two row planter. We had great success in both places and the wildlife seemed to love it. Deer/turkeys/squirrel/blue jays. The issue was that the corn wouldn’t last into the regular season and then it’s only use was cover. Reading about the different kind of soybeans makes me want to give it a try, it seems like you get a longer use out of it due to the deer eating the greens early season then the pods as they harden. Would it benefit trying to get plates for the planter and plant it as row crop so that it can be cultivated early or broadcasted like I have seen some do? Also am I wasting my time with the two small areas? Finally I’ve seen a ton of videos/advertisements on the Eagle forage soybean; any brands/type of soybean you guys recommend? 

It really depends on your deer density.  Many people consider a half acre to be the minimum for a soybean planting for deer.  I planted about 1/3 of an acre last year and didn't fence it.  It was totally fine, as our local deer density is fairly low, and there is tons of other Ag for them to feed on.  I'm a big fan of soybeans.  Mine didn't get a ton of use until late season, but when the cold weather arrived the deer were here every day/night.  

I would get the plates if you already have the planter.  I broadcast, and it works out ok.  I will probably increase my seed rate a bit.  I end up with bare spots, and have to go back and reseed.  You should be able to avoid that with the two row planter.  

I use Ag beans, mostly because I get them for free.  I've seen pictures and video of the Eagle forage beans, and they are impressive.  Pods are more of a priority for me.  I expand my bean plot a little every year, hoping it becomes more of a destination.  Any soybean seed should do the trick for deer, and beans are lots easier to grow than corn IMO.  I will incorporate feed corn into my rotation.

You might consider planting one plot in each.  Your soil might benefit from the soybeans, as they are legume and don't feed as heavily as corn.  I don't think you are wasting your time with plots that size, but each case is different.  If you have a high deer density, you might need to fence them.  

Hope this info is helpful and good luck!

• Like 2

I broadcast my beans, it works well, just seed a little heavy is all. 

You cant beat the power of soybeans. The leaves for summer/fall forage. and the pods for winter feed source. They are a magnet! That being said, it depends on deer density and if there is other AG soybeans around. What kinds were you considering? And when do you most want to utilize them? Early season vs Late?  With the size of you plot,  You might want to fence them. I would believe they will get hammered, a handful of deer could wipe that plot out quick once found. Let alone several dozen..  If it were me i would fence them(130$ on amazon) then pull the fence shortly before you are ready to hunt. If you put the fence up to late, after they have nipped them off, if they do come back it will stunt them a month or more..  

You can also plant early maturing beans, then as leaves just start to yellow broadcast a brassica blend into them August or cereal grains in early September. For a double crop. I love soybeans, my deer numbers are decent and they can wipe out an acre fast, 

Aslo, you have to watch for woodchucks!!! they will wipe your plot out as fast or quicker than a deer can. They are the worse with soybean planting..

• Like 1

Soybeans are a wonderful crop for food plots. One drawback is that they need to be fenced unless you are planting 2 acres or more.  Deer will destroy them as soon as they sprout and they will not stand a chance.  Also they come Round up ready if that appeals to you.    

I’ve planted soybeans both ways(broadcasting and a planter.) Hands down a planter is the way to go. This past year has been my best year. I purchased a single row planter and got a soybean plate also installed a hot zone fence around just over a acre of planted beans. 2 acre plot, using real world gen 2 beans. With great success. Good luck with what ever you decide.

9 hours ago, LIHUNT said:

We had planted feed corn for a few years in two different areas one slightly larger then half acre and the other lightly less then a half acre using a Ford 309 two row planter. We had great success in both places and the wildlife seemed to love it. Deer/turkeys/squirrel/blue jays. The issue was that the corn wouldn’t last into the regular season and then it’s only use was cover. Reading about the different kind of soybeans makes me want to give it a try, it seems like you get a longer use out of it due to the deer eating the greens early season then the pods as they harden. Would it benefit trying to get plates for the planter and plant it as row crop so that it can be cultivated early or broadcasted like I have seen some do? Also am I wasting my time with the two small areas? Finally I’ve seen a ton of videos/advertisements on the Eagle forage soybean; any brands/type of soybean you guys recommend? 

You have to many deer for size of plots you are planting. Your problem is common. Honestly you have 3 choices .

1. Decrease the population

2. Increase the size of the plots to allow some to reach maturity

3. Plant something that will withstand browse.(turnip and clover)

You will have same.problem with soybean the population will wipe it out before you can get tot to maturity

If you have anything above low deer density, then those plots are too small for spring planted soybeans.    What I would do in that situation is forget about spring planting.  Wait until late summer, then broadcast a mix of white clover, winter wheat, and soybeans.    That will give you a 1-2-3 punch of attraction that should last a few years.   Soybeans planted that late will reach their maximum attractiveness (the tender green growing stage) during early archery season, unlike spring planted beans, which are at their lowest attraction (brown-out) at that time.    Why not have the time of maximum attractiveness be when you can hunt ?     As the deer pick out all the sprouting soybeans, the wheat will fill in and hold them on plots, right thru until the following spring.   Then the clover will fill in good, providing several more years of attraction.    This mixture will do very well on soil that has been depleted of nitrogen by previous corn plots.

That clover can be maintained with nothing more that a mowing or two each season, depending on deer density.  If it is heavy enough, the mowing may not even be necessary.   Eventually, that clover will start to loose the battle with grasses, telling you that the nitrogen is building up in the soil.  That is the time to plow the clover under in the spring, tap all that "free fertilizer", which has been stored up by the clover,  and restart the whole sequence with another corn plot. 

If you want those little corn plots to last a lot longer into hunting season, you have to remove the raccoons.  Fortunately, NY state allows landowners to trap and remove nuissance coons before trapping season opens, as long as the carcasses are burried or burned.   After the season opens, sometime in October,  they can be killed and thrown out in the open for the buzzards to consume.   The hides have been basically worthless for quite some time.   Coons begin the process of corn destruction by knocking down the stalks, allowing birds and other species to quickly finish it off.   Deer themselves are extremely efficient users of corn.