Good day of crow hunting

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, Bill Schmidt said:

I have never hunted Crows. Do Black Ravens ever fly on in also? There are Ravens here in Orange County. They seem to be increasing in population.

Ravens will come into crow setups sometimes, and they are federally protected, so you have to be careful  to avoid shooting them..

40 years ago,  ravens were basically absent in my area...One day while crow hunting we called in and shot 2 of them, thinking they crows and  assuming  that no ravens were in the area..Once we had them in hand, the size difference was obvious. They are MUCH bigger than any crow.. Nowadays, ravens are plentiful here,  so you have to be more careful..If you pay attention, it is easy to tell them from crows on the wing.

• Like 1

We crow hunted a few times after deer season ended but have been focusing on fox the past month. I heard they spread manure at the farm we been hunting, specifically the field where one of our blinds is located. Chomping at the bit to go this weekend if the weather cooperates. I’m a little late to this post but for a load setup, I use a 12 ga w a mod choke and I love using the Winchester AA super sport loads 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2, 1300 FPS. I used to miss a lot but we worked on building a better blind and letting the crows drop in more before shooting and our numbers have gone way up.

A couple pics of our hunts:

d3635190d71555cfedfc67258296501e.jpgbcdf47307959c2e6b358b77f1f77cd57.jpgc09c7756f3ee831db847dd05b9cdeaef.jpg13622f861d9ec84e340616e6deb78e3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Fun morning indeed. Still laughing   " We need to call crow search", "obviously these crows are not in rut', "coyotes killed em all"  Waiting for each other to shoot as they fly over head  "Shoot the bastid would somebody"   Upon retrieval of a not so dead one it latched onto my finger with its foot and couldn't get it off . Lifetime I'm now 3 for 59 I think   Thanks fellas

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

After em today. Plenty of shots fired, even killed a couple ! Thanks to tacks for the hunt !

Fwiw, tacks shot these but let me hold them for the photo

I lost count after 3
1f55a5c5f0e66aa674a6e75430f05b2c.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We could have used those three to write "1" in the snow

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been waiting for one to settle in on the 3/4 eaten deer carcass behind my bedroom window.  No takers yet this afternoon.  I average about 50/50 on crows with that 100 yard shot with my 10/22.   It is a lot tougher when the wind is blowing.  The coyotes have been very scarce this year thanks to the great trapping efforts of neighbors on each side so those remains may last thru march.   

I have been waiting for one to settle in on the 3/4 eaten deer carcass behind my bedroom window.  No takers yet this afternoon.  I average about 50/50 on crows with that 100 yard shot with my 10/22.   It is a lot tougher when the wind is blowing.  The coyotes have been very scarce this year thanks to the great trapping efforts of neighbors on each side so those remains may last thru march.   
That right there takes all the fun and sport out of crow hunting.

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

That right there takes all the fun and sport out of crow hunting.

Have you tried it ?  It is definitely more comfortable than trudging around thru the snow and mud with a scattergun.    That don't too look fun to me.   

9 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

So how to decide where to setup?
Just flip a coin and pick a spot?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ideally a fly route to and from roost in dawn or dusk hours .  But not privy to any its find a spot you can hunt. Set up a decoy spread and fire up crow fight on Fox pro and hope for the best. My experience is you only get in a sporadic bird or three this way. And I’ll be darned to not shoot at “ the sentry “. I figure they’ll send another. Supposedly a sentry will come in , check out things and if okay will bring in a few others. It’s a crow and I’m pulling the trigger. For those who’ve hunted crows this is a long debated subject and I’m sure you’ve heard it. Lol. Had a good spread today. Those 3 would’nt fully commit   Fun as all get up when they do. 

Have you tried it ?  It is definitely more comfortable than trudging around thru the snow and mud with a scattergun.    That don't too look fun to me.   
Have I tried it, no. Just deleted a few paragraphs to keep from derailing this thread. You have no crow game, it's ok. They are a tough bird to "hunt". Sounds like you just like it easy. Might as well get a feeder for deer.

Side question.... Can you see your corn field from your house ?

• Haha 1