Old Guys: Remember When..............

Lawdwaz

I'll second Doc's nod to Fur, Fish, and Game. They published things like 'expected market prices' by area and updated throughout the trapping season to actual prices. I heavily relied on them when making decisions regarding trap and stretcher purchases when I was 13 or 14 YO. In many ways I knew more about 'market economics' 45 years ago than I do now. :-)

16 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

A Cabela's catalog was something to get excited about? 

Boy it's been a long time since THAT has happened for me.  I just "fanned" through the latest catalog to make it to our coffee table, the "Spring" edition.  WTF is a "Spring" edition?  Just a bunch of crap from A-Z that doesn't light my wick......

I guess its just a combination of me getting older and the electronic age.  I'm OK with it, it's just a memory anymore (and a good one at that) how years ago you'd dream of going to a Cabela's store.  Now all I have to do is jump in my VW Bug (I'm freakin' kidding!) and drive a half dozen miles and walk into a Cabela's store.  Not Kearny, not Sidney; but CheektaVegas has a CABELA'S!!

Heck, I can have dinner at Mighty Taco then walk next door and shop for more "stuff" I don't need. 

OK, rant over. :)

It's more for the turkey hunters out there. Just like they have a separate catalog for camping, auto's, bow hunting, cabin/cottage. shooting.

Just think if they came out with only one catalog!!! it would be about 6" thick!!

i used to get the crazy version of the Cabelas master catalog sent to me.  honestly i never ordered from a catalog though.  i've called cabelas to have them not send me so many.  without fail though i ramp up hundreds in cabelas bucks and go a while without spending any of it.  they send me emails and every catalog they make, to get me to purchase something.  i usually surf the bargain cave or club offers. then pull the trigger and get something free; optics, muzzleloader, processing equipment, lowrance fish finder/gps, etc.

TF.   might be too young but I remember the Western Auto. store & the Firestone store on Main st. in Lancaster. They had all their guns & ammo. on shelves behind the counters. People would buy guns & ammo. & walk right down the side walk, street & no one would make anything of it. Now days the cops would be on you like stink on shyt & people would be calling them on cell phones!  Hell I even remember when Main St. wasn't a dead end.

Edited by hunter49
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, maytom said:

It's more for the turkey hunters out there. Just like they have a separate catalog for camping, auto's, bow hunting, cabin/cottage. shooting.

Just think if they came out with only one catalog!!! it would be about 6" thick!!

There was a time the catalog covered allseasons.They Cabelas used to send you a hat with every subscription.Other than a few local gunshops/bait stores I first started buy from KMart we didn't have any shops/sporting goods near by.

4 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

TF.   might be too young but I remember the Western Auto. store & the Firestone store on Main st. in Lancaster. They had all their guns & ammo. on shelves behind the counters. People would buy guns & ammo. & walk right down the side walk, street & no one would make anything of it. Now days the cops would be on you like stink on shyt & people would be calling them on cell phones!

How about Joe Basher's on Broadway by Cemetery ? I remember going in there with my Pop. You could buy anything from an oil filter to old paper shotgun shells ,.22 ammo . At that time my dad had a pet raccoon and he'd buy it hard candy. The coon would sit on the back of the seat in the pick up. Reach down into my dads shirt pocket, grab a piece of candy, unwrap it and eat it.  My dad has that old Pepsi cooler in his basement from there.

Don't recall the other store you mention

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

They're ya go....Bowhunter's DISCOUNT Warehouse IIRC..........from somewhere in PA, right?

I bought from them too but I think that was the late 80's?

That's. I was missing the discount.  I graduated in 82, and I think I purchased the bow in '80. 

16 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Boy it's been a long time since THAT has happened for me.  I just "fanned" through the latest catalog to make it to our coffee table, the "Spring" edition.  WTF is a "Spring" edition?  Just a bunch of crap from A-Z that doesn't light my wick......

I guess its just a combination of me getting older and the electronic age.  I'm OK with it, it's just a memory anymore (and a good one at that) how years ago you'd dream of going to a Cabela's store.  Now all I have to do is jump in my VW Bug (I'm freakin' kidding!) and drive a half dozen miles and walk into a Cabela's store.  Not Kearny, not Sidney; but CheektaVegas has a CABELA'S!!

Heck, I can have dinner at Mighty Taco then walk next door and shop for more "stuff" I don't need. 

OK, rant over. :)

Yeah but you also had the same reaction to the Women's lingerie section in the JC Penny's Catalog. lol

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

How about Joe Basher's on Broadway by Cemetery ? I remember going in there with my Pop. You could buy anything from an oil filter to old paper shotgun shells ,.22 ammo . At that time my dad had a pet raccoon and he'd buy it hard candy. The coon would sit on the back of the seat in the pick up. Reach down into my dads shirt pocket, grab a piece of candy, unwrap it and eat it.  My dad has that old Pepsi cooler in his basement from there.

Don't recall the other store you mention

I remember Bashers. How about Mikes bike shop at Bowen & Clinton St.?  Anyone remember when they started digging Lake Erie ?

9 minutes ago, 52 farmer said:

Dusty's Bait shop,Penora + Terrace Blvd. Depew,remember stopping their for bait with my Dad 5 o'clock in the morning.Not sure what the owners real name was but he was one miserable SOB

I used to sell Dusty's nightcrawlers for .03 each. Picked off the tightly mowed tee boxes at Lancaster Country club.

Does anyone still get the Cabela's bible ? That thick azz coffee table catalog book

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philoshop said:

I'll second Doc's nod to Fur, Fish, and Game

I still get it...just renewed my subscription for two more years. One of the best out there for $15.00 a year. Every issue has something worth reading and a number of issues have something that will capture my attention.

• Like 1

I also bought my first bow from Bowhunter's Discount Warehouse - - Martin Cougar Magnum.  Still have the receipt at home, even though the bow and the catalog company are long gone.

There was also a Fisherman's Discount Warehouse (or something like that - probably the same company in PA).  I used to buy fishing rods from their catalogs and have them delivered.  Since I was so young and didn't have a credit card, I'd order them COD (That is NOT Cod Fish for you young guys, but Cash On Delivery).  I still have every one of the rods I bought all those years ago (late 1970s).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I say the same thing about Playboy ^_^

The problem with playboy is there is nothing there I could buy, use, or learn that would help me be a better hunter, trapper, or caller and the "fur" by itself is probably worth less than a possum. :mda:

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

The problem with playboy is there is nothing there I could buy, use, or learn that would help me be a better hunter, trapper, or caller and the "fur" by itself is probably worth less than a possum. :mda:

Perhaps....But that fur and what it conceals  can and HAS  changed history and moved mountains...

Never underestimate its power....

• Like 1

OK, rant over.

I wish I had the ones from 20 years ago, they’d be fun to flip through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't remember Cabelas catalog as a kid, but I do Gander Mountain. I tied trout flies, so I drooled over the Orvis catalog and several other fishing supply catalogs....names long forgotten. Dixie Gun Works though, wow.....that was and still is a love affair.