Fishing tackle

sodfather

21 hours ago, sodfather said:

I've fly fished for trout and steelhead a good part of my life but want to take up fishing from the boat this year on bass, pike etc etc..   

Get the right water and you can keep on with the fly rod.

50% of the bass/pike fishing I do is with a fly rod, ironic I rarely fish for trout.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sodfather said:

I'll definitely get some of those Senko's . Seams like the majority like soft plastics. Back when I had lots of lures it was rattle traps and tons on rapalas . Lost them all in the Tondawanda Creek . What about line, I used spiderwire 15 years ago. I used it for chug bugs. I guess I'm getting cabin fever sick of this white s*it 

For Senko fishing, get some 8lb florocarbon line. It sinks unlike mono. Makes a difference for sure.

• Like 3

Why is it that most of you use artificial baits?I am not trying to change the topic but most do not use live bait any longer is it the availability of bait why its not used?I guess I am just 1 of maybe 50 that still just bait a hook with live bait/worms minnows mealies grubs frogs and crayfish.I do know that bass love to eat crayfish and frogs.

• Like 1

Why is it that most of you use artificial baits?I am not trying to change the topic but most do not use live bait any longer is it the availability of bait why its not used?I guess I am just 1 of maybe 50 that still just bait a hook with live bait/worms minnows mealies grubs frogs and crayfish.I do know that bass love to eat crayfish and frogs.

I still use love bait but only fish a few times a year. At $15/dozen for sawbellies I can see why People have switched to trolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Dom said:

i can generally always outfish someone using bait except when it comes to perch or bullheads.  In school took out one of my buddies trout fishing and caught 5 before he had a hit.  Gave him a lure and he got a 19" brown - he was hooked for life.  Plus dont have to worry about keeping it alive etc.   Can cover more water with different techniques and get the most aggressive fish to hit.  Bait certainly has its place, i use dixxie spinner and a worm all the time on Oneida.  But the right lure in the right spot is the deal 

2 hours ago, coonhunter said:

I sure have caught a lot of both smallmouth and largemouth bass on a perch colored Pop R. I would have to say that at least 50% of my fish are caught on some sort of jig. It may even be more than 50%.

I catch about 90 % of my smallmouth bass on hand-tied 1/8, 1/4, or 5/16 oz bucktail jigs, and about 10 % on plugs which include deep-running crankbaits, when it is too windy for jigging, and top-waters (mostly Heddon zara- pooch or tiny-torpedoes) in the early mornings when it is calm.   Taking them on lures you make yourself adds considerable satisfaction, especially when considering the money saved, but the top-water strikes are awesome.  I will have to add some of those Rebel Pop-R's to my box. 

A nice thing about the hand-tied jigs, is that you can show them something they have never seen, which can be a big help in high-pressure areas.  A few years back we took a week vacation in mid-summer up at Long lake in the Adirondacks.  Every morning the bass boats would shell the shorelines with all types of lures.  I never seen one with a fish on.  I paddled my canoe out to the center of the lake and let the wind push me along, always doing quite well out there with those hand-tied jigs.  I shared some of them with a neighbor, who had just purchased a real fancy fishing kayak, but was getting frustrated with the lack of action.   His luck improved greatly after he gave them a try.       

Smallmouths get about 75 % of my efforts.  "Accidental" northern pike, largemouth bass and walleye frequently fall for those jigs while I am targeting smallmouths.   Largemouth bass might get 15 % of my efforts.  I usually go with heavier, store-bought weedless rubber-skirted jigs with a rubber trailer, spinnerbaits, or wacky-rigged plastic worms when targeting them.   Trout and salmon get about 10 % of my fishing time, which usually involves trolling spoons or j-plugs, although I have taken a few nice lakers on the hand-tied bucktail jigs tipped with a perch minnow, out on the Niagara bar.

As far as fishing a drinking goes: Jig fishing is almost all by feel, and the first thing I loose when I drink alcohol is my ability to detect a strike.  That means saving the beer until a limit is in the live-well or on the stringer.  Nothing works better for washing down some walleye-cheek sushi, eaten off the fillet knife, than a big swig of Genny cream ale.   Trolling, bobbers, and live bait are the drinking fisherman's best friends because they eliminate the need to feel the strike.  

10 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Now you had me looking.  2 in the top water box.  The green one has caught so many smallies the tail feathers are gone. 

rps20180207_194359.jpg

and ive actually caught fish on most of these.  Have boxes where it might be 50%.  Shiny new lures sucker me in for sure.  Not as bad as i used to be as I fish less now these days.  

On 2/6/2018 at 10:21 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I still use love bait but only fish a few times a year. At $15/dozen for sawbellies I can see why People have switched to trolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no idea that they were costing that much.Haven't been fishing reservoir for about 6 years.I do more creek  fishing than any other,large/small mouth trout and bottom feeders/bullheads and eels.I also catch alot of Brim

• Like 1