I wonder how many lives this feral cat has

goosifer

3 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That kitty looks pretty well fed for a feral cat. Somebody's outdoor cat on her mid-day patrol?

I really don't know know. I've seen it for a couple years now, along with a black one (never together), out year round. I'm amazed its survived this long. Maybe a barn cat, so it has some shelter.

We've got a cat that lives in the chicken coop with my wife's birds. She has her own clean/heated apartment in there. Someone dumped her on us a few years ago.

She roams around all day mostly on our place. I can walk outside and call her/whistle and if she's within earshot she comes running. Always affectionate.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

We have a cat, hes very affectionate, stays indoors all winter, cuddles up to us, etc. During the summer, when he goes outside, he hunts and kills everything he can catch. A couple of times, weve found dead bats on the steps. Honestly, I wish my girlfriend would keep him in the house. Cats are proficient killers, and do a number on wildlife, especially songbirds.

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

We have a cat, hes very affectionate, stays indoors all winter, cuddles up to us, etc. During the summer, when he goes outside, he hunts and kills everything he can catch. A couple of times, weve found dead bats on the steps. Honestly, I wish my girlfriend would keep him in the house. Cats are proficient killers, and do a number on wildlife, especially songbirds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/07/15/health/cats-chicago-rat-patrol/index.html

pest control

Cats have worked as the world's fuzzy exterminators for at least 10,000 years. That's when wild cats cozied up to the Natufians, the first human farmers who stored grain, which attracted rodents.

Agile and nocturnal, cats need little light to hunt. With rodents most active at night, cats became their perfect nemesis.

Cats have worked as rat catchers in New York bodegas, Disneyland and ships during World War II. They've even protected the prime minister at number 10 Downing Street, although Larry the cat is described as a terrible mouser.

Even cats you costume for internet videos or holiday cards maintain that hunter instinct.

Knowing this history, Tree House organizers started the Cats at Work project five years ago. It transplants these colonies to areas that need their kind of help

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thats great, but what about all of the other animals they kill? Cities arent the only place that feral cats live. People drop their cats off out in the country all the time.

Just a educated guess but more then likely in the wild away from cities they feed off of field mice/ Chipmunks insects and other  ground animals . for the most part then anything else  just easier for them to catch then birds and bigger Critters. 

Edited by Storm914