Question for the AR15 Folks

moog5050

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Didn't follow it closely but I believe a challenge to the safe act was shot down by the Second Circuit (which is the federal appellate court for NY) in 2016.  I have no idea whether a petition for cert was ever filed with SCOTUS (which would be the next step) and was denied.  But clearly that case did not go any further.

Once Scalia died, they were staring at a 4-4 split so they decided to not petition SCOTUS.  Tough call, but you can't take a loss with SCOTUS.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Once Scalia died, they were staring at a 4-4 split so they decided to not petition SCOTUS.  Tough call, but you can't take a loss with SCOTUS.

That said, someone would have to file a new suit, appeal and then petition.   Won’t hapoen I don’t think and it’s unlikrky that cert would be granted.  Very low percentage of cases. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Maybe, maybe not.   A 4-4 loss is a non-precedential affirmance.  Sure, you lose, but it has no bearing on future cases, including a subsequent repeat challenge to the SAFE Act.  

I hate to sound ignorant, but I am curious as to what the attraction to the AR style rifle is. I know they have become wildly popular, but I am curious as to what the appeal is. Is it a styling attraction, or are there more practical reasons for the popularity? I am more of a fan of traditional rifles that have the nice wood stocks as far as appearance features, but perhaps there are more useful features of the ARs that I am not aware of.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I hate to sound ignorant, but I am curious as to what the attraction to the AR style rifle is. I know they have become wildly popular, but I am curious as to what the appeal is. Is it a styling attraction, or are there more practical reasons for the popularity? I am more of a fan of traditional rifles that have the nice wood stocks as far as appearance features, but perhaps there are more useful features of the ARs that I am not aware of.

i am in the same camp as you.  Not really an AR guy but know that just like fishing lures people always like new shiny stuff - i am guilty.  Lol.  They are probably fun but not my cup of tea. 

It’s a component based gun. You can change the them out as you choose.   Buy a new upper and you hav a new chambering.  Stocks easily adjusted for comfort.  Plus they tend to be among the more affordable accurate semi autos.  The reason I was considering one had nothing to do with style.  In fact, I too prefer the style of traditional wood stock guns.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Different tools for different jobs.  The AR platform is basically like the Legos of firearms.  You can configure, change, swap out and accessorize a rifle in almost any way imaginable, including caliber conversions by swapping uppers and mags.  All while enjoying a semi-auto rate of fire with mag capacities of 30 to 100 rounds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

It’s a component based gun. You can change the them out as you choose.   Buy a new upper and you hav a new chambering.  Stocks easily adjusted for comfort.  Plus they tend to be among the more affordable accurate semi autos.  The reason I was considering one had nothing to do with style.  In fact, I too prefer the style of traditional wood stock guns.

Ok, I guess I can see the benefits. It would be a whole lot more important to me if I had one years ago at the beginning of my gun collections. Right now, I pretty much have what I want and need so the most important benefit of caliber change is unimportant to me. But I can see where others might be attracted to the economy of it all.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Yea me to , if I got  something else in that type of mid power caliber  it is going to be either ruger mini 30 or the m1 30 carbine . 

Probably  before I got a AR

I never liked the looks of the AR15.   AK 47 on the other hand   I always thought was  a better looking gun .

But I know the AR15 is a really good gun  that i probably may get also want  but it is not on the top of my list . Especially now with the threat of government confiscation and all the bs laws surrounding anything that looks like a AR15 in New York .

It was an accuracy thing for me, primarily. When it comes to semi autos that will be used for preds, those that are reliable, accurate and take abuse of the in and out of the truck, through the snow etc there are very few that can compete. The AR is also very simple to break down, completely. I am all about the super clean at least once a year, so it no sweat doing the AR. Also, customizing is simple. About 90% off mods that can be done a gunsmith is not needed. That's for aesthetics and for accuracy. A sweet trigger can be 160-300$ and dial down you groups immediatly.

I qualified with an M16A2 and went 10/10 @500 yards with a peep sight, prone. With a hunters backround, I knew I would have to own one at some point in my life and was beyond impressed.

I'll never hunt deer with it, I'll never grab it if there's an intruder in the house, I'll never take it on a long walk, but it's a sweet piece to have in the gun cabinet.

I think anyone with hesitation as to why others love them just need to get behind one and send a few rounds down range... You will see

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Not to mention ease of fixing/adjusting. Not many .308 semi autos out there that can be had for under $400 and shoot MOA. 

One motive not mentioned yet is the attraction to military arms for various reasons.  Even when I was young, many people preferred Garands, Springfields, Mausers and M1 Carbines over any type of commercial, or even sporterized firearms.  I know some deer hunters who hunt deer with nothing but military rifles.  Nothing wrong with that.  Everyone pursues happiness in their own way.

You got a fine shooter there moog! And that offhand at 125 is pretty darned good! All of my guns are capable of shooting much better, if it were not me shooting them!.........grin.

Would like to see pic's of the new rifle!

Will you mount a light for predators?

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not generous at all. We should start a new freehand 100yd group thread. If people are honest I bet you would be in the top half of the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was shooting at 9x and it seemed like those crosshairs were bouncing all over and I was doing my best to time the shot even though I know its not how one should shoot.  Maybe I got lucky (to the extent its a decent group) but I really didn't think it was very good shooting.  That said, I haven't done a lot of free hand shooting at that distance.  I wanted to shoot a bit more to break in the barrel so I gave it a run.  If I can, I will take a rest or tree to steady myself any day of the week.  I am not proud.  lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

You got a fine shooter there moog! And that offhand at 125 is pretty darned good! All of my guns are capable of shooting much better, if it were not me shooting them!.........grin.

Would like to see pic's of the new rifle!

Will you mount a light for predators?

Yep, I would like to see what a competent shooter could do with this rifle.   Got a light coming today.  Will post some pics later.  I should be all set to miss again this Friday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Yep, I would like to see what a competent shooter could do with this rifle.   Got a light coming today.  Will post some pics later.  I should be all set to miss again this Friday!

I'm certain, you'll do just fine!  The local coyote and fox, should be getting their affairs in order!

• Like 1