Question for the AR15 Folks

moog5050

Wow!  That sure is a nice looking set up!  No doubt, it'll bring you years of enjoyment and performance! Next pic, it will be along side a song dog!!!
Tune in Friday. I'll take the pic

Even if I kill, we can toss the new savage in there.. I would never tell !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Still working on that first yote, but we were awful close twice on Friday (thanks Treeguy).  And after stopping at DDS ranch, I caved and ordered a new AR.  Don't need it but should be fun.  Went with the Stag 15 Fluted Varminter.  Match trigger, heavy 20" fluted stainless barrel.  Reviews say accuracy is very very good.  The only change I had to make to it to keep it legal was a spur vs pistol grip.  I can always pin the mag if I don't like the spur and go back to a pistol grip but the spur is an easy modification to keep it legal.

So now I will have two legit varmint rifles.  I just need a darn varmint, but I am confident that it will happen soon.  Lots of fun out there regardless!

• Like 5

Still working on that first yote, but we were awful close twice on Friday (thanks Treeguy).  And after stopping at DDS ranch, I caved and ordered a new AR.  Don't need it but should be fun.  Went with the Stag 15 Fluted Varminter.  Match trigger, heavy 20" fluted stainless barrel.  Reviews say accuracy is very very good.  The only change I had to make to it to keep it legal was a spur vs pistol grip.  I can always pin the mag if I don't like the spur and go back to a pistol grip but the spur is an easy modification to keep it legal.
So now I will have two legit varmint rifles.  I just need a darn varmint, but I am confident that it will happen soon.  Lots of fun out there regardless!

Next up, a leopard hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

thank you for making it safe and less scary with the spur.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

thank you for making it safe and less scary with the spur.

Quite comical isn't it.  Or not having a flash suppressor or a collapsible stock.  I see how restricting all these features keeps the public safe.

They never really interested me before, but I am kind of excited about getting it in.  I can see it being great fun to plink with too!

• Like 2

Yup.........you're hooked! 

Nice choice with the new AR rifle!  I've heard nothing but good about that Stag 15.  Will you transfer the light, and optics from the Savage, or go with something different on the Stag?

We will be see your smiling face with a coyote in the picture, before the season ends, no doubt!!

Post up some pic's of the new rig, after you get it all set up!  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've always wanted an AR. just never thought it a necessity above other things so i don't have one.

AR  , if you like to go to the range target shoot a lot it is probably one  of the best guns you could use for that .

But because of a  few retards

Doing bad things with them .

It has become the 1 # target of the anti gun lobby. 

Which acually makes me almost want to get one just to give them the finger in a way :)

Even though there are other guns I would like to have before I got around to  getting a AR .

More then likely the anti gun lobby probably helps the sales of AR 15s more then anything else. 

People don't like to be told what they can buy or not buy it is  unAmerican.

Doubt that.  But night hunting the yotes is flat out fun, even though I haven't killed one yet.

That’s what I’m saying. After you kill a few yotes at night then you’ll want a leopard at night. But in a ground blind, 20yds, with your recurve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Nice choice with the Stag. I am predicting that youll end up doing something to make it legal other than the spur, those things are not comfortable to me at all, and your hands are way bigger than mine.

Maybe.  It’s an easy and cheap fix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Yup.........you're hooked! 

Nice choice with the new AR rifle!  I've heard nothing but good about that Stag 15.  Will you transfer the light, and optics from the Savage, or go with something different on the Stag?

We will be see your smiling face with a coyote in the picture, before the season ends, no doubt!!

Post up some pic's of the new rig, after you get it all set up!  

Got new optics and a mount with a small rail on the rings that i can just attach the light via a quick release.   Easy enough to swap between guns with the flip of a lever.  

• Like 1

One tip, for a dedicated predator rig running a regular type variable scope. You may want to pick up a small, light weight holo sight and mount it either on the scope, or better yet, next to it at an angle. It works especially well with an AR, as you can angle the rifle, and quickly get on target when they come in close and are moving.

Similar to what this guy did

lwrc3.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

One tip, for a dedicated predator rig running a regular type variable scope. You may want to pick up a small, light weight holo sight and mount it either on the scope, or better yet, next to it at an angle. It works especially well with an AR, as you can angle the rifle, and quickly get on target when they come in close and are moving.

Similar to what this guy did

lwrc3.jpg

i've checked out these setups on other peoples' ARs i know and i'm a huge proponent of it.  i even have the Burris on my turkey gun.  i've had a yote come in hot before and i missed many times. just too close for a scoped rifle. another time i had the shotgun propped up with something under it to grab quick and still couldn't transition to from the rifle to the shotgun quick enough.

• Like 1

I've had (and sold) a couple of AR's. One was an Alexander Arms custom chambered in 6.5 Grendel and was so accurate it was actually boring to shoot. I was going to take it deer hunting, but some guy had lots of cash and wanted it badly. So, I obliged his want. 

• Like 1

Was a great hunt though. Lots of talkative Yotes that were in range, just never showed. Personally I've never had that much noise and no action but that set has been hammered with calling. We will get back out and get some blood on the new rigs !

In general, I'm beyond thankful to have had some good experiences with moog in the field and off. It's bound to happen one of these hunts !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Was a great hunt though. Lots of talkative Yotes that were in range, just never showed. Personally I've never had that much noise and no action but that set has been hammered with calling. We will get back out and get some blood on the new rigs !

In general, I'm beyond thankful to have had some good experiences with moog in the field and off. It's bound to happen one of these hunts !

Thanks for showing me the ropes and sharing dirt.   We will get it done!   Maybe out this way!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...