Question for the AR15 Folks

moog5050

8 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Although I hate the SAFE Act and want it repealed, I don't see it happening unless the SCOTUS finds these stupid laws to be unconstitutional regarding the 2nd Amendment, mainly because AR's are in common use already.

That being said, I wouldn't consider investing money in an AR at this time because the work arounds that make them compliant in NY today could very easily be criminalized tomorrow the same way the SAFE Act was passed in the first place.  If you don't think they are already planning to do that, you're deluding yourself.

Nothing angers me more then legally buying and owning something, only to have the government decide it's illegal years later.

That being said, I have a Remington 700 SPS with a Leupold VXII 4-12x40mm AO with a Mil Dot reticle that takes predators very nicely.  It shoots minute of angle and is fast enough for follow up shots at any predator, if needed, which is rare.

I don't think an AR would be a better predator rifle, but it does have dual purpose capability in a SHTF situation, if all the compliant mods can be reversed that is.

;)

Truth.  The gun grabbers will NEVER stop in this state.

Latest package of anti-2A crap includes a ban on mods that increase the rate of fire.  However, in typical NY politician fashion, they conveniently leave out any and all definitions of what is a "normal" rate of fire and what is "modified"  So if one put a match or 2-stage trigger into their rifle, would that run afoul of this proposed law and turn you into a felon? As always, NY would drag you into court to argue that you didn't break their stupid law.  You're guilty until proven innocent under King Cuomo's rule.

Latest bag of bullshit from elected NY gun grabbers

• Like 1

Ill be working the clarence gun show with dds ranch this up coming weekend. You should stop by and check out all the differant rifles. Putting a lower together takes maybe 30min, the upper is the part where you need specific tools for the barrel nut, and torquing it down right. I hunt yotes with a ar, loading and unloading isnt that bad, its like if u were hunting with a bolt gun with no detachable mag. Once you buy one however you will want more...i just picked up 2 striped lowers that i have to figure out what i want to make.

Of all my AR's I own only 2 are factory built, a bushmaster and a dpms. The bushmaster is old and has been flawless but I wouldn't recommend a new one. The dpms is a full custom "back when dpms had a custom shop it's an AR10 in 308 that is an impressive rifle, never a a problem and stupid accurate.

All my other AR's are home built from pieces. I highly recommend building your own even if you buy complete uppers and lowers its often cheaper and you can get exactly what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have lowers in about every configuration and for strictly a predator rifle my choice is a pinned mag. Realistically It doesn't change anything other than taking an extra 30seconds to load and 10 to unload. Other than PI$$ING me off every time I have to do it it's really not a big deal.

11 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

What about non pinned mag on  AR platform with a spur ? You've taken the pistol grip out of the picture thus making legal ?

Assuming you have no other features, the Spur would appear to be compliant, but won't handle as well as the Thornsden, aka "fugly stick". :pleasantry:

• Like 1

Biekirchs has this in stock in 243 and 22-250.  Can pick it up for $729.   Felt rock solid with the heavy barrel and accustock.  It’s very tempting as I am much more accustomed to bolt action.  Plus my daughter could use it on Deer at some point since the have it in 243.  My experience is great with savage accuracy. 

I may end up switching direction here from the AR.  

9F8DBCEB-103A-46E4-932C-08BDAE580F78.png

• Like 4

Had enough fun hunting with treeguy that I decided to buy a dedicated predator gun.  Sold one of my trad bows last night to responsibly fund it - i.e. not tick of my wife on another hunting purchase.  lol  Never owned an AR but it seems like a very good option being semi, reasonably accurate and something new to me.  MY lever action 30-30 was not ideal as I learned.  Obviously it will have to be safe act legal so I am considering one with a pinned mag versus featureless. Andrew suggested I look at DD's Ranch for safe act compliant ARs.  Doesn't hurt that the shop is 5 min from him and I could grab one, sight in and we can hit the woods again. 
Anyways, thinking about the DPMS, Stag Arms Model 3 or perhaps even a colt LE6920.  Talked to the owner a bit who was steering me towards either a Stag Arms or Smith and Wesson.  Looking at the 5.56/.223 and think I would prefer one without a front sight for ease of mounting optics (although I was told anything higher than 3x and you won't see the front sight).  I don't see either Smith and Wesson or colt versions without a front sight.  Not sure how much it matters.
Looking for thoughts/comments from anyone with experience with these rifles.  Leaning towards the Stag at this point but need to handle them to decide.  Thanks.
Already stole a kill light so I am set there!  Haha.

Simple — Weatherby 22-250

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Biekirchs has this in stock in 243 and 22-250.  Can pick it up for $729.   Felt rock solid with the heavy barrel and accustock.  It’s very tempting as I am much more accustomed to bolt action.  Plus my daughter could use it on Deer at some point since the have it in 243.  My experience is great with savage accuracy. 

I may end up switching direction here from the AR.  

9F8DBCEB-103A-46E4-932C-08BDAE580F78.png

Yes, get a bolt action.  Simply a better, less complicated choice in my opinion.  Don't have to worry about what is compliant and what is not.  Other than being an autoloader,  I can't think of one thing that an AR would have an advantage over a bolt action. 

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I'm looking at the Ruger Precision Rifle. Detachable magazine and all the bells and whistles of an AR. And still pretty quick with follow up shots, if need be. My experience is that after the first shot, very seldom do you get a follow up. It's usually spray and pray, as they run off. I'm not a spray and pray kinda guy. I like to make that first one count!

I would agree with this statement but there are times when multiple shot  opportunities  are possible

ie  2 fox at once or multiple coyotes. When it does happen quick shooting is required. That is why all of my "varmint " guns are

semi -autos except my  sweet . \:kissing: A-bolt in .223.

My primary night gun is a semi-auto .22mag. I simply do not like using a centerfire at night for safety reasons.

I used to have a Ruger ranch rifle that was a semi-auto .223 but it was not accurate at all.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

What a coincidence, I just took a break from sanding drywall , and find a post about NYS compliant ARs......

I don’t care for any compliant ARs at all, how  about a 30 Mini or pump action AR ?

As for building one , guy at work never owned a gun, his first one was an AR he built himself . He became somewhat of a prepper, got  a couple off the books guns he built out of 80 % lowers , and a fair amount of gold .

Well no AR.   I caved on the bolt action.  It just felt so good in hand  

Biekirchs called me and cut me an even better package deal on the savage, a leupold vx2 3-9x50, rings and ammo.   Wicked lights on the way.  Grampy’s electronic caller.  Just need to kill one now.  Lol. 

Treeguy and Nomad, get ready to do some fur hunting.  

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Biekirchs called me and cut me an even better package deal on the savage, a leupold vx2 3-9x50, rings and ammo.   Wicked lights on the way.  Grampy’s electronic caller.  Just need to kill one now.  Lol. 

Hope our schedules line up, I’m working days this F,S,S then nights W,T,F

Around that I’m painting kitchen ,hallway , stairway ,upstairs hall, putting in a sink and faucet , four light fixtures.

Wife is going to FLA.....

oh had my MRI yesterday , find out tues 

54 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Hope our schedules line up, I’m working days this F,S,S then nights W,T,F

Around that I’m painting kitchen ,hallway , stairway ,upstairs hall, putting in a sink and faucet , four light fixtures.

Wife is going to FLA.....

oh had my MRI yesterday , find out tues 

We have time.  

• Like 1

Been ready !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk