Question for the AR15 Folks

moog5050

Not good for pelts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are if you use barnes tsx like my hunting loads. Go in teeny tiny hole. Exit if at all another tiny hole no bigger than a dime. I got that baby dialed in to perfection

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Well no AR.   I caved on the bolt action.  It just felt so good in hand  

Biekirchs called me and cut me an even better package deal on the savage, a leupold vx2 3-9x50, rings and ammo.   Wicked lights on the way.  Grampy’s electronic caller.  Just need to kill one now.  Lol. 

Treeguy and Nomad, get ready to do some fur hunting.  

I believe you have yourself a good all around outfit with the 243 Savage and Leupold scope setup, dialed in with the right ammo it will handle a very wide variety of game and hunting situations and do it well. 

Al

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

We have time.  

I hope to do a daytime hunt sometime next week, perhaps when I’m on nights , I’ll go out in the morning .

Im not much of a coyote hunter , but there are a lot of them at my spot, we could sit in my hut one night , we’d have the wind and chairs....

Well off to a play on Gloria Estefan’s life and career, that’s ok Friday night 

we’re seeing Dwight  Yoakam to balance things out .

Edit the farm has a bunch of huts all over we could use .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Yea but does that make it a pain to load that type of action . ? Sorry if that is a dumb question.  ? But have not really looked at one in years .

My buddy has one & it's more of a pita to unload than load. Actually kind of scary to unload , keep pointed in a safe direction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

Moog, did you go to DD's, he is only 1.5 mile down the rd. from me.

I didn’t.   I checked out a safe act legal AR at Biekirchs.   In the end, I decided the 243 would be more useful all around but I still may dive into an AR at some point.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steve863 said:

Other than being an autoloader,  I can't think of one thing that an AR would have an advantage over a bolt action. 

Put your sneakers on, run across a field, and I will show you the difference.

Edited by Steve D
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Quiche for dinner ?

Edit : " The rhythm is going to get you"

Nope pizza , although I like egg pie just fine and if it boosts my man card any I snuck my LCP, right past the hand held metal detectors. Had it in my overcoat pocket , picked a line where the guy was on my left and held my coat open WIDE, his wand never got near the far side pocket .

Just one way I like sticking it to the man .

• Like 3

10 hours ago, grampy said:

I'm looking at the Ruger Precision Rifle. Detachable magazine and all the bells and whistles of an AR. And still pretty quick with follow up shots, if need be. My experience is that after the first shot, very seldom do you get a follow up. It's usually spray and pray, as they run off. I'm not a spray and pray kinda guy. I like to make that first one count!

I have the Ruger precision rifle in 6.5  bye one u won't regret it I also have 2 Ar's ones 5.56 the other is 308 ...the only down side with the rpr is with a scope and a Harris bipod it's 16.5 pounds...the Ar's are lighter but I wouldn't shoot long distance for yotes with them 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, loworange88 said:

https://www.meanarms.com

Mean Arms sell a nice little alternative for top loaders.  They have hardware kits for "pinning" mags to the lower.  The only draw back I can see to a top loader for hunting, is UNloading it after the hunt.

Still...I'm tempted to build one.

Currently I use an ARES SCR (Fightlight Industries now).  Uses a different design for the buffer system and bolt carrier group, the stock is modelled after a Remington 1187 if I'm not mistaken, but the rest of the rifle is AR-15.  Its NYS legal.

Not really, take a target with you and pop off the mag. Makes it fun that way too.

14 minutes ago, Steve D said:

All in fun...don't get your panties in a bunch :hi:

Yeah, you think it's hilarious telling someone to "Put your sneakers on, run across a field, and I will show you the difference" and then you tell me "don't get your panties in a bunch"?  You are a DUMBASS and don't expect me to be apologizing to you for calling you that.

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You are a DUMBASS and don't expect me to be apologizing to you for calling you that.

Don't expect an apology and everyone is entitled to their opinion

I just figured a dumb response was a good response to your wonderful post

13 hours ago, Steve D said:

Other than being an autoloader,  I can't think of one thing that an AR would have an advantage over a bolt action. 

No comparison whatsoever. Enjoy your day:pleasantry:

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Don't expect an apology and everyone is entitled to their opinion

I just figured a dumb response was a good response to your wonderful post

No comparison whatsoever. Enjoy your day:pleasantry:

In mine opinion the difference is that if you going to be walking stalking type hunting .

Ar style stock  pistal grip or thumb hole stock  is a little faster to get on target because of the way you can shoulder it in front of you .hard to explain unless you have walked around the woods with a thumb hole  or pistol grip stock to explain . 

But besides that it is all just looks some guys,like  the look some don't 

Edited by Storm914

On 2/7/2018 at 12:16 PM, moog5050 said:

No idea.  But if you read the list of features prohibited with a detachable mag, its obvious none really have any impact on the capability of the rifle.  IE, none would prevent one from being used like any other AR.  Its just a silly and arbitrary law.  But for now, if you want an AR that has any of the banned features, it must have a fixed magazine.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:10 PM, Storm914 said:

Is there any on going litigation to get rid of that dumb law ?

Or are we pretty much stuck with it 

there was an on going suite climbing the court system but they called it off before it made it to the Supreme Court. basically justice scalia died that was pro gun at the time, splitting the justices to evenly split a decision. when that happens the previous lower level court decision is upheld. that decision came from here in NY so it said yea ARs that meet the Gov Cuomo's SafeAct definition of an assault weapon can be banned. I don't know of anything getting resurrected and brought back up.  Maybe Moog knows but idk if filing again can start where things left off or not.  I'm guessing no. otherwise, it would've been now that justice Gorsuch (pro-gun) has filled the vacancy.

24 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

there was an on going suite climbing the court system but they called it off before it made it to the Supreme Court. basically justice scalia died that was pro gun at the time, splitting the justices to evenly split a decision. when that happens the previous lower level court decision is upheld. that decision came from here in NY so it said yea ARs that meet the Gov Cuomo's SafeAct definition of an assault weapon can be banned. I don't know of anything getting resurrected and brought back up.  Maybe Moog knows but idk if filing again can start where things left off or not.  I'm guessing no. otherwise, it would've been now that justice Gorsuch (pro-gun) has filled the vacancy.

Didn't follow it closely but I believe a challenge to the safe act was shot down by the Second Circuit (which is the federal appellate court for NY) in 2016.  I have no idea whether a petition for cert was ever filed with SCOTUS (which would be the next step) and was denied.  But clearly that case did not go any further.

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Didn't follow it closely but I believe a challenge to the safe act was shot down by the Second Circuit (which is the federal appellate court for NY) in 2016.  I have no idea whether a petition for cert was ever filed with SCOTUS (which would be the next step) and was denied.  But clearly that case did not go any further.

yes. that decision axed a muzzle brake because they worded it "break" and ruled 7 rounds in a 10 round mag was arbitrary and unconstitutional. may have been something else too.  i don't think they filed with SCOTUS at all, because numbers were split for justices and figured they wouldn't win and Skretny decision that shot down the challenge would've been upheld. if that's the case could they still file or has that opportunity sailed already? that's what i don't have a clue about.

12 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

yes. that decision axed a muzzle brake because they worded it "break" and ruled 7 rounds in a 10 round mag was arbitrary and unconstitutional. may have been something else too.  i don't think they filed with SCOTUS at all, because numbers were split for justices and figured they wouldn't win and Skretny decision that shot down the challenge would've been upheld. if that's the case could they still file or has that opportunity sailed already? that's what i don't have a clue about.

Too late to file for cert now.