scope creeping ...... on 12 g.

Robhuntandfish

i have a semi auto 12 g from american tactical. Its a cheap semi auto for just around the house and a little target and for when I am the pusher in some real heavy brush for deer.  I cant get the scope to stay in place.  Its only a 2.5 but would like to mount this on there.  Asked a gun shop and they said they couldnt really tap the gun at all. I even tried some locktite and that wouldnt hold it in place - any ideas???? 

I had problems with a scope on a .338 Win Mag slipping in the rings due to recoil...On the advice of a friend, I put a wrap of tape around the scope underneath the rings...I think I used masking tape.. Whatever I used it cured the problem..

• Thanks 1

From your photo I can not tell what kind of base your rings are attached to or the type of rings you are using. Also you are not mentioning exactly how the scope is moving, are the rings slipping and losing grip on the base or is the scope sliding in the rings?

Because of it's heavy recoil a 12 ga shotgun firing slugs will really put a scope and it's mounting hardware to the test. Back when I worked in a gun shop I mounted a whole lot of scopes on shotguns and we found that the best mounting system was a Weaver setup. Autoloaders and pumps are very thin on top of the receiver with not enough depth for the base screws to hold well under heavy stress. Weaver's shotgun base mounts up high on the side of the receiver where the metal is much thicker making for a solid mount. A special set of rings and mounts attach to this side base putting the scope perfectly lined up on top of the receiver.  The receiver of the shotgun has to be drilled and tapped for the Weaver base and any gunsmith worth a hill of beans should be able to do it easily. Lefever Arms north of Rome NY did all of our drilling and tapping of shotguns for the Weaver base.

Below is a couple of photos of  Weaver's systems for pump and auto shotguns, the one on the right is the one I like best I have used that mount on a couple of my own slug guns and it holds well.

Al

2018-02-09_082053.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i had just basic scope mounts on the rail that was on the gun.  Didnt put anything too expensive as i paid under $200 for the gun.  it only has a front end sight and had this 2.5 scope at the house and it was a good fit but cant get it to stop sliding forward. Both rings slide forward with the scope . 

So the rail that the scope rings are attached to isn't the "picattiny" rail type, like in the picture I posted?  If it's only a straight rail, I can see it being a problem to hold the rings in place from a shotguns recoil.  Those straight type rails may work with .22's, but not so well with larger shotguns or rifles.  Also, if the rings are made of aluminum, that adds to the weakness of the set up.  I myself won't put anything but steel rings and mounts on guns that have some recoil.

Element_Picatinny_Rail.png

Edited by steve863
  • Thanks 1

yup its just a straight rail.  A guy at work suggested filing the rail a little to see if can get a better grab 

the guy at gun shop said he wouldnt drill and tap into the gun , these you attached look like they would work great.  Might have to ask another shop about putting those on - thanks   

2 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Why won't the gunsmith tap it?
The barrel is to thin maybe??

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The newer style receivers on a lot of shotguns are too thin to tap. The new 1100's and 1187's are like that and require a side mounts. My father's old 1100 has the thicker reciever and has no issues with tapping the top as it is close to an 1/8" thick.

You said the rings are sliding in what I assume is a simple dovetail groove, rather than the scope sliding in the rings. A competent gunsmith can put a few drops of silver solder in that dovetail groove to keep the rings from sliding forward under recoil. An even more 'permanent' solution would be to silver solder the rings directly to the dovetail groove. Not something I'd recommend on a fine rifle, of course, but it's an option.

22 minutes ago, philoshop said:

You said the rings are sliding in what I assume is a simple dovetail groove, rather than the scope sliding in the rings. A competent gunsmith can put a few drops of silver solder in that dovetail groove to keep the rings from sliding forward under recoil. An even more 'permanent' solution would be to silver solder the rings directly to the dovetail groove. Not something I'd recommend on a fine rifle, of course, but it's an option.

yup thats exactly it - looking for a cheaper fix and thats a good idea.  Its just a cheaper shotgun didnt want to invest much in it - thanks