Bill Schmidt

What Is Your Go To Spring Turkey Hunting Shotgun ?

I have 2 New ones. Well one is brand new and the other is brand old!   This past Summer, I bought a Stevens single-shot for 155 bucks. 12 gauge- model 301 and can take 3" shells. It is matte black and I got real lucky with a Comp-n-Choke-xxx Full. I had that leftover from a Winchester pump, I sold years ago. It fits like a glove. I will be shooting Winchester Longbeard-1 3/4oz of #6s through it.         My next one is an OLD J.C. Higgins-- model 583-- 16 gauge Bolt-Action. 28" Barrell and marked-- Full. Paid 50 bucks for it and it had no trigger guard. I had to Refab one for it. Balanced really nice as well!  Patterns very well also. Painted the 16 Gauge all green except for the butt stock. I pasted 2 oak leaves on first and did a good job. I will be shooting Remington Express Long Range 2 3/4-- 1 1/8ozs of #6s. Need to keep my shots with this one down to 35 yards max as I will be shooting just extra-hard lead shot.  Try to bring the pic up. 

My good old trusty 12Ga Remington 11-87 with a Primos screw in Turkey Choke shooting 3" Remington Premier Magnum Turkey Loads in 4 shot... Can't wait to get out there after them this Spring!

• Like 1

Mine would be my .410 mossbrgh chambered in 2/34 or 3 inch out of my truck window on youyr front lawn.Just buting chops picked upn 20 single newEngland to give a go this season

• Like 1

My first turkey set up was a Winchester 1300 with an xfull tube. Bushnell red dot  I don't miss shooting 2.75" turkey loads out of it one bit.  That bastid rattled my fillings loose   Used to shoot Winchester Super X #5's 

Now my turkey thumper is a Remington 1187 SPT /Rhino .660 tube/ Bushnell Circle X scope  Started shooting Nitro Co. triplex loads I ordered on line but Safe Act stopped that. Then on to Heavi Magblends. Experimented with Winchester XR's but that pattern is way too tight   Landed on Federal Heavyweight 7's  Those loads hit like 5's with velocity of 5's with the penetration too but density of 7's   Would love to get my hands on some hand rolled TSS loads to try.  I can shoot 3.5" all day long on paper and never feel a thing

Daughters is a Remington 870 youth 20 gauge  Jellyhead tube and Bushnell Circle T optics ( that glow green or red )  Landed on Federal Heavyweight 7's for her too But again need to find somebody who handloads the TSS to try

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

My best choice for Turkey would be my sidexside/doubled barrel Stevens in 12 guage wit 31.12 barrel length

• Like 1

I also have my trusty Mossberg 835 12 gauge Pump with a Primos  Turkey choke.  I feel most comfortable with this one and will take the other 2 out a good 3 times each this May.

I use 2 shotguns for gobbler hunting, and often which one I take depends on my mood that morning...

# 1 is a 1993 Vintage Rem  11-87 SP  12 gauge 3"  mag...It has a synthetic Treebark camo stock, a 21"  cantilever barrel with a Kick's Gobblin Thunder .665 " choke tube and is mounted with a Leupold VXII 1 x 4   scope...

#2 is my early 1980s vintage Rem 1100  12 gauge 3" mag , blued and walnut, with a fixed 26"   full choke vent rib barrel ( twin beads)... Both shoot well with  either Win XX or Federal Premium  1 7/8  or 2 oz. loads of copper plated 6 shot....

• Like 1

I like a nice light Remington 20 gauge something or other, presently using Federal shells. It just feels good in my hands. Shoots straight and a good enough distance to do one thing;  it kills turkeys.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I use 2 shotguns for gobbler hunting, and often which one I take depends on my mood that morning...

# 1 is a 1993 Vintage Rem  11-87 SP  12 gauge 3"  mag...It has a synthetic Treebark camo stock, a 21"  cantilever barrel with a Kick's Gobblin Thunder .665 " choke tube and is mounted with a Leupold VXII 1 x 4   scope...

#2 is my early 1980s vintage Rem 1100  12 gauge 3" mag , blued and walnut, with a fixed 26"   full choke vent rib barrel ( twin beads)... Both shoot well with  either Win XX or Federal Premium  1 7/8  or 2 oz. loads of copper plated 6 shot....

Your #2 1100 is that  pump or semi auto?

Mossberg 835 3.5 mag with jugged barrel and removable chokes

• Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

1 hour ago, Bill Schmidt said:

20180211_085902.jpg

Do you think you will restore the Higgins or consider selling??

Mossberrg 835 with a scope in the spring, and a Mossberg 535 in the fall with no scope (ultra light, and I do a lot of walking).

• Like 2

Mossberg 535.  Love this gun for Turks. Loaded with federal 3" #5 turkey.  Showstopper.  Bought it just for turkey only.

download.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

Probably keep the JC Higgins. My goal is to take Gobblers with 12 gauge of course,20 gauge-- took 1 Fat Fall Jake with a 20 gauge-- pump a few years back. And now 16 gauge in a bolt action yet. That is my next goal and that awful looking and old JC Higgins is some shooter. I might take that rabbit hunting next Sat if there is any time left.

• Like 1

My favorite turkey gun is a single shot H&R that I had the barrel cut to 18" and had tapped for rem choke. Weighs a tick under 5lbs and is only 34" long. I shoot an improved modified choke. It's perfect for my style of hunting unless I miss! I also use my 20ga 870 youth from time to time with the same choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

JC Higgins..there's a name I haven't heard in a long time, I think it was Sears brand. I had a JC Higgins 12 gauge bolt shotgun years ago, I think I paid $50 for it, from a buddy that was having hard times. About 5 years later he went on the wagon, and I sold it back to him when he had $50. I think there was some sort of recall with the bolt not locking correctly, back in the 1980s if I remember correctly...

My go to is my only shotgun at the moment. Its a 535 that came with a waterfowl barrel and a turkey barrel w/ a red dot. Ill be shooting reduced recoil hevi-mag blends witha  hevishot turkey choke. This combo has worked well so far, so ill be sticking with it. 

IMG_2627.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dom said:

Your #2 1100 is that  pump or semi auto?

Gas operated semi auto.....It is  arguably THE classic American made gas operated auto shotgun...Made from early 1960s to present...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicky said:

JC Higgins..there's a name I haven't heard in a long time, I think it was Sears brand. I had a JC Higgins 12 gauge bolt shotgun years ago, I think I paid $50 for it, from a buddy that was having hard times. About 5 years later he went on the wagon, and I sold it back to him when he had $50. I think there was some sort of recall with the bolt not locking correctly, back in the 1980s if I remember correctly...

I believe the J.C. Higgins bolt action was manufactured by Mossberg....Check with Airedale...He posted a thread awhile back that told who made the various " hardware" brand shotguns, like J.C Higgins, Revelation,  Ted Williams and many others...

Imagine a pristine barely fired Winchester SXP 12g with a jellyhead choke shooting 3 1/2” heavies.   Haven’t missed a bird with it yet!   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Rem Versamax, vortex red dot, jelly head choke, win Longbeard xr's in 3.5". Rig is proven to flop at 65yrds.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I believe the J.C. Higgins bolt action was manufactured by Mossberg....Check with Airedale...He posted a thread awhile back that told who made the various " hardware" brand shotguns, like J.C Higgins, Revelation,  Ted Williams and many others...

3 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Sears is where my dad purchased the 3 firearms from 12 16 and the 410 the safety if I remember was the issue the gun/.410 would even shoot with saftey on or off.