Bill Schmidt

What Is Your Go To Spring Turkey Hunting Shotgun ?

Thanks guys with the info about the JC Higgins. Also written on the barrel- Sears + Roebuck Inc.   No problem with the Bolt Uncle Nicky as I shot the 16 gauge a good 12 times or so in patterning last Spring.  I checked the safety early on and  no problem. It has one of those flat safety's. Forward position and the safety is on. Press it back and the safety is off.  This shotgun really patterns well! Just did not take it out last year as I had to get a trigger guard for it.

4 hours ago, Dom said:

Sears is where my dad purchased the 3 firearms from 12 16 and the 410 the safety if I remember was the issue the gun/.410 would even shoot with saftey on or off.

Sears never manufactured any firearms.. They contracted  gun manufacturers such as Marlin,  Savage/Stevens, High Standard, Winchester and others to  manufacture guns under  their brand names as did many other retailers such as  Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, and many others...

Same gun since 1999........the camo paint and red dot sight were new last spring, Benelli SBE.

zlylCW6.jpg

• Like 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

13 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Same gun since 1999........the camo paint and red dot sight were new last spring, Benelli SBE.

zlylCW6.jpg

mines not as fancy.  Benelli SuperNova in AdvantageTimber camo with a PureGold ported choke.  It's also had a Burris Speed Bead red dot mounted behind the receiver for several years.  I really like it.  Great for things that fly and tight patterns of a turkey gun. How are you liking yours so far?

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

3f6fd16dc2e365d85c670f49c1ce85ec.jpg
Fall bird from 2 years ago. This gun is heavy but never mind shooting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

I use my Charles Daly 12ga autoloader with a turkey choke. Cant remember what brand choke, and #6 Fiocchi Copper Plated Nickel turkey loads. Lays them out as long as the shooter does their part.

• Like 1

TurkeyFeathers-- I like that position of the Turkey for a photo. I might try that also .

Like this type of position much better though f4a72bfab9d6f071f95424ef908f93e9.jpg

• Like 1

I have been using a 12 ga. Browning Pump Shotgun with a 28” barrel and turkey choke (cannot recall the brand). I am left handed, so the bottom eject is a nice feature.  I did buy a Hevi Shot Choke to go with the Hevi Shot ammo I usually use, but I have not sighted that in yet.  I also want to try some Winchester Super X, but I have about 10 boxes of Hevi Shot to use up before I get any more ammo.   

• Like 1

Alot of different ammo types here on this post.  I have heard positive feedback about Winchester-- LONGBEARD XR.  I started out as a Turkey Hunter who only used #4s. Probably missed some turkeys because of that. 5s are ok-- but with the close opportunities that I now seem to have-- I like #6s for shots at around 30 yards of so.

A lot of guys swear by the Winchester Longbeard shells, I have never tried them but they are supposed to hold a very tight pattern. I just question what type of knock-down they have, since they are plain lead pellets. I've been using Hevi-shot for the last 7 or 8 years, but when I did use lead shot, I used #4.

• Like 1

Alot of different ammo types here on this post.  I have heard positive feedback about Winchester-- LONGBEARD XR.  I started out as a Turkey Hunter who only used #4s. Probably missed some turkeys because of that. 5s are ok-- but with the close opportunities that I now seem to have-- I like #6s for shots at around 30 yards of so.

Way to tight of a pattern for my liking, I have went from one extreme to the other and have settled in the middle. I like a 2 3/4 high brass #6 game load for the both the 20's and 12's. I have not seen any reason to shoot turkey ammo for 20+$ a box of 5 or 10 when a box of high brass game loads are 10$ a box for 25 and they both seem to kill them just as dead at the ranges I shoot.

• Like 1

They are expensive-- the Winchester LongBeards. I only buy 1 new box of 10 every late Winter. Pattern 3 or 4 of them and the rest will last for the Spring and short 2 week Fall Season.  I have older ammo to fall back on in case I miss. Remember the old Active Penetrator-- Nickel plated Turkey loads. Every turkey that I shot with one of those stayed down. 

A lot of guys swear by the Winchester Longbeard shells, I have never tried them but they are supposed to hold a very tight pattern. I just question what type of knock-down they have, since they are plain lead pellets. I've been using Hevi-shot for the last 7 or 8 years, but when I did use lead shot, I used #4.
Knocked one down at 63 yrds last year. He flopped and barely twitched. It is a very tight pattern especially with a full or X full choke, but I have a red dot scope and I'm confident. As with any hunting situation, shot placement is key, obviously. I also like the fact that they are half the price of the hevi shot. I was shooting magnum blend till I put some XRs through the gun.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I guess I am a JC HIGGINS man. That the JC Higgins  on the top . 12 gauge and Model 20. 2 3/4" shells only.   I might take this on a day when it is raining lightly as pumps are easy to clean. The next one is my 1948 Model 12- 20 gauge-- pump. Took a fall with it and chipped off a piece of the stock. Gorilla glue down it back. Looks like Hell-- shoots great and LIGHT!!!  Just 2 3/4" shells here also. That Fat Jake did not flop much after I shot him with this 20 gauge--.

Remington 870 with a custom, spray paint, maple leaf camo job.  I cannot find my digital camera, so no pic.  I shoot 3" Federals in #4s early season.  I switch to #6s later on. Plain old Remington X-full turkey choke.  

• Like 1