Bill Schmidt

What Is Your Go To Spring Turkey Hunting Shotgun ?

Here you go kids.  After wanting these but only available hand rolled they are now in production for commercial sales   Not cheap but only pull the trigger once or twice a season after putting on paper anyhow   Loved the Heavyweight loads we've been shooting but looking forward to rolling a bird or two with these. Keep in mind the #9's are a no go in NYS  The "professional " turkey killers over on oldgobbler shoot these and primarily these (mostly #9's )  Most tote 20 gauges   Some .410 patterns are just mind boggling over there too   So for you running and gunning guys who want to carry a 20 gauge for less weight I highly suggest looking into these or Federal Heavywight in 7's (upon looking it appears they may have discontinued their standard heavyweight load and replaced with these TSS)

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/shotshell/family/heavyweight-tss/heavyweight-tss/

Edited by turkeyfeathers

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Here you go kids.  After wanting these but only available hand rolled they are now in production for commercial sales   Not cheap but only pull the trigger once or twice a season after putting on paper anyhow   Loved the Heavyweight loads we've been shooting but looking forward to rolling a bird or two with these. Keep in mind the #9's are a no go in NYS  The "professional " turkey killers over on oldgobbler shoot these and primarily these (mostly #9's )  Most tote 20 gauges   Some .410 patterns are just mind boggling over there too   So for you running and gunning guys who want to carry a 20 gauge for less weight I highly suggest looking into these or Federal Heavywight in 7's 

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/shotshell/family/heavyweight-tss/heavyweight-tss/

Wooooo lets order up a case, $9 a shot but I'd probably give them a run.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101977707/federal-premium-heavyweight-tss-turkey-ammunition-12-gauge-3-1-2-2-1-4-oz-7-non-toxic-tungsten-super-shot-flitecontrol-flex-wad

• Like 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, sodfather said:

Same as last year and year before still clean as a whistle. 870 super mag with true-glo 

24D76312-1FB5-4300-B56D-6FB89BD974A6.jpeg

Lets get some feathers under that gun this year shall we ?!

• Like 2

. .TurkeyFeathers-- you are right about the -- Professional Turkey Killers over at OldGobbler.com.  I am there as well. Everyone there just seems to be an expert . One veteran wrote of 200+ Gobblers-- but I don't put much stock in that number if you are sitting in a 2 man blind on your own 1000 acres.

I only have one shotgun, Tri-Star Raptor 12.

This year I will also be using my bow to kick the Spring turkey season off. Diamond Prism.

Plan to spend the first two weeks with the bow, then head out with the firearm.

636ed20ce12e18f21dc61263a1f89a57.jpg&key=615eb219c64bde7f8014b40fd436d08661ff4bb52a279215cb9fe8bed4caa58e

• Like 2

Just picked up a new Mossberg 535 Turkey 12GA.  Came with a 22" and 28" barrels.  Bought and installed a Vortex Sparc II red dot.  Picked up a few chokes (Rhino, Mossberg) and different ammo to pattern when I get some time to get out on range.  My old gun (still at my parents house in IL) was a '96 Remington 1187.  No complaints on the Rem, but wanted a gun that would be a bit more forgiving with moisture.

28460690_10156188231903276_2121408578_o.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gwhalin said:

Just picked up a new Mossberg 535 Turkey 12GA.  Came with a 22" and 28" barrels.  Bought and installed a Vortex Sparc II red dot.  Picked up a few chokes (Rhino, Mossberg) and different ammo to pattern when I get some time to get out on range.  My old gun (still at my parents house in IL) was a '96 Remington 1187.  No complaints on the Rem, but wanted a gun that would be a bit more forgiving with moisture.

28460690_10156188231903276_2121408578_o.jpg

If any of those turkey loads you bought were Winchester XR's and putting though the Rhino choke (.660 is what I have ) you may find the pattern too tight  Interesting though that I found 3.5" 5's with 2 1/8  ounces payload too tight but the 3.5" 5' with 2 ounces almost acceptable Both at 35 yards  Heavi magblends and Federal Heavyweights 7's seemed to get me the pattern I was looking for

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

If any of those turkey loads you bought were Winchester XR's and putting though the Rhino choke (.660 is what I have ) you may find the pattern too tight  Interesting though that I found 3.5" 5's with 2 1/8  ounces payload too tight but the 3.5" 5' with 2 ounces almost acceptable Both at 35 yards  Heavi magblends and Federal Heavyweights 7's seemed to get me the pattern I was looking for

I picked up a box each of:

- Federal 3rd degree

- Winchester Long Beard XR

- Remington Premier HV Magnum Turkey

All in 3 1/2" with 2oz. 

Gonna try the Mossberg Full, the Mossberg Turkey, and the Rhino .660 chokes.  I expect to have ringing ears and a sore shoulder after patterning.  :)

• Like 1

I like the finish on that Mossberg.  Heard good things about the Rhino choke.  I haven had no luck at all with the Mossberg choke.  Have fun with your 3.5s!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

ouch.  The 3's i shoot hurt enough.  the 3.5 prob have quite a wack to them.  No gun i have kicks more than my turkey shotgun for sure. 

• Like 1

Always either used a 12 ga. New England firearms single shot with a fixed extra full choke....or an 835 mossy with a shadow grass camo.

This season I am going to take the 20ga. Mossy afield and try out these xr's I found at Cabela's today.f53ffc57eb1712d59eebedda0af24dba.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1