Odd But Serious Question

What is the true purpose of a vent rib barrel on a shotgun?

I get that it's "supposed" to help release the heat produced, and I get the flat "ridge" on top of the barrel helps for better sighting and shot placement if you are not using a scope. Especially using a double bead.

But, what is the real purpose? 

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The real name is a "ventilated rib"..........now you know the purpose.  :)

Probably also a higher sighting plane too.

Forgive me Sir Lawrence! I typed "vent rib". The next time you use IIRC, I  will remember to call you out on using abbreviations. LOL! I also do get the joke.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Rob...

Think of the rib as a string between beads. Actually helps you get on target faster. Look at one bead fallow string ( rib) to next bead. Your eye will automatically follow the line of the rib between beads helping you to line them up faster. At least that is what I know of it. Could be bs but I know for me it works that way.

6 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

Think of the rib as a string between beads. Actually helps you get on target faster. Look at one bead fallow string ( rib) to next bead. Your eye will automatically follow the line of the rib between beads helping you to line them up faster. At least that is what I know of it. Could be bs but I know for me it works that way.

That's really all I can find. It's a flat rail to put bead sights in better postilion. Still can't find anything stating a "Ventilated Rib" barrel is better shooting slugs or shot.

19 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Forgive me Sir Lawrence! I typed "vent rib". The next time you use IIRC, I  will remember to call you out on using abbreviations. LOL! I also do get the joke.

:rolleyes:

Sorry but I don’t know your level of experience or knowledge in shooting sports so I merely pointed out the full name of said ribbing. 

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sorry but I don’t know your level of experience or knowledge in shooting sports so I merely pointed out the full name of said ribbing. 

NO! You did what you like to do after a few cocktails! Just blast me. I am asking a MFN serious question. If you have no answer, then don't reply! If you don't like me or my posts, then get off the high horse and block me! 

The question isn't easy to answer, but I asked it.

What is the true purpose of a " 'Vent- Rib' " barrel?

• Like 1

Many have shot slugs through a vent r in barrel. Myself included. Any barrel I have seen with a vent Rob was always a shot barrel with Choking of kind and beads in a fixed position. No real need to adjust sights when using shot. Slugs can be used affect through a vent rib barrel but to be accurate you need to adjust your point of aim. 

Slug barrel is straight no choking and has adjustable sights. No need to adjust point of aim to be accurate just move sights until you are hitting where you want.

I have always called and heard others call vent rib barrels bird or shot barrel. The vent rib barrel will always be better for shot then for slugs. However both can be shot .

Wasn't it 1st introduced in those higher end over/under skeet & clay shotguns to disperse heat better? Then it was found to be a better sighting/aiming method than the plain barrels with only a notch & bead and glossy barrel between. Or vise-versa? Somewhat associated with mfg'ering process of ease of making a thinner barrel and adding a rib vs turning, boring & honing a much thicker & heavier barrel. For hunting shotguns nowadays, it's become a personal preference.

It’s the best way to raise the sight plain, rifled sights do that as well. If you didn’t raise the sight plain you would have to put your head low on the stock which would be awkward and cause the fit to be off. Combined with cast and drop adjustments the gun will shoot where you look every time. 

And it helps dissipate heat when there is a lot of shooting. 

7 hours ago, Rob... said:

NO! You did what you like to do after a few cocktails! Just blast me. I am asking a MFN serious question. If you have no answer, then don't reply! If you don't like me or my posts, then get off the high horse and block me! 

I think you took his response a little harsh . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Yeah-- higher sight plane. Never take a Trap Shotgun out Pheasant hunting as you will be shooting high.

The stock dimensions, not the rib,  are the main reason that a trap gun patterns high...Most trap guns have about  1"- less drop at the heel, which makes it easier to hit a rising target without  covering it up with the bead..

I always thought that the main purpose for a rib as to present a flatter, more consistent sighting plane.  Years ago,  ribs ( both solid and ventilated)  were mainly seen on target ( skeet& trap)  guns... Back in the 1950s and 1960s  you saw many more plain barreled shotguns than ribbed ones in the field..  Vent ribs started gaining popularity along in the 60s and have become  nearly standard  in many field guns ...Solid ribs kind of fell by the wayside, probably because they were heavier than vent ribs..Why carry the extra weight around in a field gun..?

Shooting slugs has never been  an issue involving ribs...It is true that a ribbed shotgun  with double beads may allow more precise aiming with slugs that a plain single bead barrel  , but that is only if the gun happens to print the slugs on the point of aim, which many of them do NOT.. Unless you get lucky, for slugs you need  an adjustable sighting system of some sort, either  iron sights or optical sights..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rob... said:

Wow, someone needs a Xanax

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob... said:

Seems to me Lawdwaz DID answer the question you asked. And it was YOU, who put more into it than was actually there. Maybe it was YOU, that had more than a couple cocktails. And reading something that was not there? Jeez....lighten up a little.

• Like 3

Many uses....It prevents damage to the barrel when you lean it on the truck, toothpick holder, some have a fingernail file, mud retainer, keeps the gun from twisting in a vise and spinning when in a safe, gun case zipper snagger, rain drop catcher, allows u to set gun flat upside down for cleaning...and last but not least. Drumroll please !!!!! A beer bottle opener. I've had too many tonight and all were opened by my vent rib

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Many uses....It prevents damage to the barrel when you lean it on the truck, toothpick holder, some have a fingernail file, mud retainer, keeps the gun from twisting in a vise and spinning when in a safe, gun case zipper snagger, rain drop catcher, allows u to set gun flat upside down for cleaning...and last but not least. Drumroll please !!!!! A beer bottle opener. I've had too many tonight and all were opened by my vent rib

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ya had to put gas on the fire huh?

:)

• Like 1