what is acceptable accuracy with your bow?

Robhuntandfish

I found myself doing better with less shooting practice this last year.  If I shoot too much I am over tinkering with the pins etc and I start to be inconsistent the more I shoot in a day... But I feel at 20 yards arrows should basically be touching everytime.  At 30 in the bull and at 40 basically touching the outer ring of the bull - in 4" group. The farthest i will shoot would be 45 , but this would have to be a broadside shot on a deer that isnt spooky and I would aim low heart in case it string jumps. I drive myself a little nuts with the bow sometimes and tinkering to be on.  But this last year I found if i shot twice a week in the summer, three shots - one 20,30,40 ( in different orders) that i was a better shot consistantly.  I would tell myself this is the shot that counts and you only get one!  I have a good anchor point and seem to retain the same form when shooting even without mega practice.  Im thinking its prob from years of lots of practice though.  Whats acceptable accuracy for you ?   and do you shoot over and over to get it? 

Maybe i am  old school but I was teached many years ago.  even if your a great shot in hunting conditions you should not be taking shots more then 20 yards  deer move . Unless you like spending lots of time tracking wounded deer from bad shots .

Edited by Storm914

I’d say 4 inch groups is acceptable , although I’d be happier with tighter ones.

Most of my practice is 20 and under perhaps 1/3 of my shooting is out to,30, a couple  maybe at 40 .The farthest I’ve shot a deer was 25 , but most are in the 15 yard range . If I punch both lungs , then that’s acceptable .

30 years, bow hunting only owned two,bows , never changed anything on them . I do,try to,end a practice on a good group, I just feel better that way .

• Like 2

Rob try this drill: 

Start out at 10 yards and shoot a bunch of arrows till ya start to feel yourself get shaken or inconsistent. Next day shoot 1 arrow at 10 and the rest at 20, again enough to you feel shaky. The next day 1 at 10 and 1 at 20 and the rest at 30 till shakes. The next day 1 at 10, 1 at 20, 1 at 30, and the rest at 40. The next day take the whole day off. After a days rest repeat process only opposite scale. 

I had a instructor tell me this drill and it helped me get in shape and then I was finally able to dial sights in. But no sense in trying to play with sights unless you get yourself in shooting shape . Good luck 

• Like 1

I go back and forth on this regularly. With my traditional bows repetition is key so 10-30shots a day is what I do. Compounds are easy to shoot, during the summer I'll shoot a lot but because I enjoy it not because it's needed. Come sept 1st I shoot 1 shot at a time some days I'll shot 10 shots throughout the day but only 1 at a time. I just hang the bow on the side porch and while I'm in and out throughout the day I take a shot.

Usually my 1 shot is between 50-75yds. My max for hunting is 65 but regularly shooting farther makes the 20yd shots gimmi's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I found myself doing better with less shooting practice this last year.  If I shoot too much I am over tinkering with the pins etc and I start to be inconsistent the more I shoot in a day... But I feel at 20 yards arrows should basically be touching everytime.  At 30 in the bull and at 40 basically touching the outer ring of the bull - in 4" group. The farthest i will shoot would be 45 , but this would have to be a broadside shot on a deer that isnt spooky and I would aim low heart in case it string jumps. I drive myself a little nuts with the bow sometimes and tinkering to be on.  But this last year I found if i shot twice a week in the summer, three shots - one 20,30,40 ( in different orders) that i was a better shot consistantly.  I would tell myself this is the shot that counts and you only get one!  I have a good anchor point and seem to retain the same form when shooting even without mega practice.  Im thinking its prob from years of lots of practice though.  Whats acceptable accuracy for you ?   and do you shoot over and over to get it? 

I practice out to 60 yards and want 4" or better group at that distance. When I am practicing at closer yardages they seem like ship shots. I wouldn't hesitate to take a deer at 50 if all conditions were right and I was confident in the shot.

15 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Rob try this drill: 

Start out at 10 yards and shoot a bunch of arrows till ya start to feel yourself get shaken or inconsistent. Next day shoot 1 arrow at 10 and the rest at 20, again enough to you feel shaky. The next day 1 at 10 and 1 at 20 and the rest at 30 till shakes. The next day 1 at 10, 1 at 20, 1 at 30, and the rest at 40. The next day take the whole day off. After a days rest repeat process only opposite scale. 

I had a instructor tell me this drill and it helped me get in shape and then I was finally able to dial sights in. But no sense in trying to play with sights unless you get yourself in shooting shape . Good luck 

i will try that out.  My bow is dialed in for sure , heart punched a doe at 35 yards this year.  But it seems like I take those couple of pratice shots and then think i need to tweak stuff once i get into the 20-30 shots..  lol.  I used to do 3D shoots and shoot a lot of arrows.  Seems like the one shot and make it count has worked great for me.  I wont shoot father than 45 yards just because of string jump and I only have pins to 40 to keep me from doing it.  I dont generally practice farther than 45 cause I only have a 20,30,40 yard pins.  

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i will try that out.  My bow is dialed in for sure , heart punched a doe at 35 yards this year.  But it seems like I take those couple of pratice shots and then think i need to tweak stuff once i get into the 20-30 shots..  lol.  I used to do 3D shoots and shoot a lot of arrows.  Seems like the one shot and make it count has worked great for me.  I wont shoot father than 45 yards just because of string jump and I only have pins to 40 to keep me from doing it.  I dont generally practice farther than 45 cause I only have a 20,30,40 yard pins.  

In the beginning of the season I usually shoot 10 arrows at 30 yards to start. At that point I decide whether I need to do a little more practice at 30 or step back to 40. If I'm grouping around the bull at 30 I'll go back to 40 take 10 more shots. If they are good back to 50 with 10 more shots. At that point and early in the season my 50 yard groups are probably hitting all over the target. I then take 10 more shots at 50 and shoot until I get 1 in the bull. Next day start at 40 and work to 50 taking the majority of shots at 50, once my 50 yard groups are decent I go back to 60 and practice the rest of the season at 50 and 60. I'll walk into 20 once and while but when you're shooting out to 50 and 60 20 seems like you're right on top of the target.

alway hear many people toting accuracy and group sizes that seem unrealistic, especially in a hunting situation. i haven't shot much lately, but last several years i've got all year long and often. i've stacked arrows out to 100 yards in 2" groups on my best moments (not session of shooting).  I would never tell anyone i'd ever expect that from me though. i've often had arrows touching, busted nocks, etc at 20 yards. may happen frequently but not a bar i'd set.  if you do honestly expect that of yourself then show up with your hunting rig to the Vegas world championships, where the best in the world try every end for that kind of accuracy but can't despite getting damn close.

for me i think anything less than 1 MOA in the bow world (i.e. 2" at 20 yrds, 4" at 40 yrds, etc.) is definitely exceptable and i'm cool as a cucumber with it.  On my best (warm, calm, sunny) days i try hard to maintain 1/2 MOA groups. when that happens, i'm humbly owning the world i'm walking, but in the back of my mind shooting like s*&^% next time is a real possibility.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Its just a matter of adjusting your definition of "perfect" Jeremy!

Im sure a lot of us are in the same boat , ill shoot my bow and pick some super small spot to try and hit at 40 yards. If I hit the Mark with one arrow ,I have to keep trying to get them all to hit . Its like playing a game you can never win.

• Like 1

alway hear many people toting accuracy and group sizes that seem unrealistic, especially in a hunting situation. i haven't shot much lately, but last several years i've got all year long and often. i've stacked arrows out to 100 yards in 2" groups on my best moments (not session of shooting).  I would never tell anyone i'd ever expect that from me though. i've often had arrows touching, busted nocks, etc at 20 yards. may happen frequently but not a bar i'd set.  if you do honestly expect that of yourself then show up with your hunting rig to the Vegas world championships, where the best in the world try every end for that kind of accuracy but can't despite getting damn close.

for me i think anything less than 1 MOA in the bow world (i.e. 2" at 20 yrds, 4" at 40 yrds, etc.) is definitely exceptable and i'm cool as a cucumber with it.  On my best (warm, calm, sunny) days i try hard to maintain 1/2 MOA groups. when that happens, i'm humbly owning the world i'm walking, but in the back of my mind shooting like s*&^% next time is a real possibility.

Couldn't agree more. Everyone has a great group here and there but on average my MIA "minute of arrow" is exactly what you described 2" at 20 4" at 40 8" at 80. On my best days I beat it but on my worst days I want to still be at it.

My bow isn't set up to shoot tinny groups .029 pins 3/8" peep etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With bad shoulders, I can only shoot 1 to 3 arrows a session now. So I always make that first one count. In a two inch circle, regardless of the distance I'm shooting. I may practice out to 60 yards, but limit myself to 30 on a live deer. At 30 yards and closer, I can put the majority of my shots in that two inch circle, with my 18 year old bow. I do try to shoot at least one arrow every other day year round. 90% of the deer I've taken with a bow, have been 20 yards or less. Last year was 8 yards. Most everyone here could out shoot me at the range. So I need to get close!

• Like 2

Tennis ball size groups are acceptable for me, but I really like to keep them a bit tighter than that. Some years I shoot out to 60 yards, but the last few Ive kept them in to 50. Makes anything 40 yards and in alot easier if I know I can put them in there at 50. Most deer Ive shot with archery equipment have been 20 and under, but I did take a buck at 40 a couple of years ago.

I beat myself up over my groupings, they never seem to be "good enough".. But they are plenty good enough for deer hunting situations. 

If my arrows aren't touching or very close to, out to 40 yards I get pretty upset with myself, and refuse to put the bow down until my  are met lol But thats just me, probably from the days of League when i shot very good. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grampy said:

With bad shoulders, I can only shoot 1 to 3 arrows a session now. So I always make that first one count. In a two inch circle, regardless of the distance I'm shooting. I may practice out to 60 yards, but limit myself to 30 on a live deer. At 30 yards and closer, I can put the majority of my shots in that two inch circle, with my 18 year old bow. I do try to shoot at least one arrow every other day year round. 90% of the deer I've taken with a bow, have been 20 yards or less. Last year was 8 yards. Most everyone here could out shoot me at the range. So I need to get close!

well the range aint where it counts.  Shooting aint hunting !  Just means your a good hunter that can get the setup to get them in close.  If not the longest shooter then be sure the targets are close and make it count.  The way we all should look at it! 

14 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

well the range aint where it counts.  Shooting aint hunting !  Just means your a good hunter that can get the setup to get them in close.  If not the longest shooter then be sure the targets are close and make it count.  The way we all should look at it! 

Thanks Rob. I just accept my limitations and work with what I have. To me, getting close as possible, is more than half the fun of bowhunting. Especially from the ground, it does take some planning.

• Like 1

For me my groups get better when I get the rust nocked off from not shooting a bunch. When I do get into my shooting groove I do not shoot single spot at 20 yards, I end up reflecting to many arrows if I do. At 30 yards  when I am on I will smack arrows if I shoot a single spot. At 40 and 50 in am happy with the arrows touching a 3 inch bulls eye. 

The farthest shot I have taken on a deer was 43 yards. She was super calm and had no idea I was there, I had time to range her , draw my bow and really settle in to the shot. But I had practiced a ton that summer and I was very confident at that yardage. 

I believe the best practice for hunting is shooting 3-d , unknown distance and you have to make the one arrow count.  

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, rob-c said:

For me my groups get better when I get the rust nocked off from not shooting a bunch. When I do get into my shooting groove I do not shoot single spot at 20 yards, I end up reflecting to many arrows if I do. At 30 yards  when I am on I will smack arrows if I shoot a single spot. At 40 and 50 in am happy with the arrows touching a 3 inch bulls eye. 

The farthest shot I have taken on a deer was 43 yards. She was super calm and had no idea I was there, I had time to range her , draw my bow and really settle in to the shot. But I had practiced a ton that summer and I was very confident at that yardage. 

I believe the best practice for hunting is shooting 3-d , unknown distance and you have to make the one arrow count.  

i ALWAYS hunt with a range finder. Shooting unknown yardage 3D competition makes you a good shot because you have a sense of how far it is. Especially cool if the competition puts you up in platforms within the trees. everyone i know though including myself finds nice level ground to stand at for routine practice.  3D can get you shooting up and down steep grades and standing on uneven ground.  some just can't perform in that situation and groups open up a lot. in reality that's the situation you'll be in going to or from the stand or if stalking or still hunting.

• Like 2