what is acceptable accuracy with your bow?

Robhuntandfish

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Other than my first deer many, many years ago shot at 35 yards with a recurve, every deer I have shot since was under 25 yards. These days, I am satisfied with  getting each arrow inside of each of my four 3" circles on an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. I shoot most of my arrows during a practice session at twenty yards and stir in a few 30, 40 and 50 yard shots just for fun. Back in my tournament (NFAA) days we had an 80 yard shot that I could score on .... once in a while....lol.

Yea that is the thing unless less you practice a lot anything past 20 25 yards you risk taking not so perfect of a shot .

Which when I hunt , i want, try for 100% accuracy .

At 20 yards i am pretty sure of that. 

Edited by Storm914

51 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Apparently the buck that I shot under by expecting him to drop down didn't know the rules . :rofl: I aimed low for the drop at 35 yards . The buck didn't jump the string and the arrow passed under him . He didn't bolt or look my way and just moved on . 

That's why at 35 and over I aim for low heart. If they don't jump you heart them. If they do you get lungs.  If you do miss it's low and deer walks.  Def hard to guess if they will jump string.  Heart punched one last year at 35 also didn't jump string. But was ready if it did. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I shot that buck a few years back at 43 yards ,he never flinched . What kind of noisy contraptions are you guys shooting who are spooking the deer from the sound of their bow? I can see an older bow but the newer stuff is so quiet.  

The one I shot at 35 like I said, didnt flinch so I got him in the heart.  But sometimes they do. My newest bow is def quieter but they all still make a little noise.  And have had deer looking right my way just as I shot or when it is real quite and they are spooky anyway.  You've never had a deer flinch from a bow shot?  Then consider yourself lucky. But I give that extra couple of inches for 35 to 45 yards in case they do.  I have had a deer jump string a few years ago and by taking a little bit of a lower shot haven't had a problem since.  

33 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I shot that buck a few years back at 43 yards ,he never flinched . What kind of noisy contraptions are you guys shooting who are spooking the deer from the sound of their bow? I can see an older bow but the newer stuff is so quiet.  

I agree bows shooting 300ft per second or close to it deer doesn’t have time unless he’s in high alert when you release the string 

every deer at that moment and your equipment factors into how much they'll drop. some just twitch and some could drop a foot. just comes with experience.  i've had a doe at i think it was 13 yards or just under 10 yards barely flinch, only until my arrow hit the mud from sailing just over her back. she then stood there. i've had others about hit the dirt to where i would've completely missed had i not aimed ridiculously low to the point i wasn't even with a pin on hair. you shoot some deer with a bow to start figuring it out.

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The red box is the general area that I always aim for, regardless of how far the deer is. That way, if it does "jump the string", its still going to be hit high in the lungs.

whitetail_deer_0127.jpg

yup thats what i do esp careful anything over 35 -45.  gives a little leverage for a skittish deer for a few inches of possible drop.   The 3D targets are all mostly 10 ring dead middle.  I like the heart aim, except when I am in a tree stand 20 yard and under I will go right in that higher 10 ring for the downward sharper angle.  

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Id have to watch a draw cycle, does the string end up near the axles at full draw? The nock pinch would be crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heres a good video showing some side views . This guy claims its a dead shooter but it seems awfully jumpy on the release. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Heres a good video showing some side views . This guy claims its a dead shooter but it seems awfully jumpy on the release. 

One thing I can see is just like the Halon it's very top heavy. I wanted to put a rear stabilizer on my Halon last year I will get to that this year. And I don't know what that harmonic stabilizer does mine doesn't vibrate a bit..

With constant improvements in bow speed there has always been controversy over whether a deer can react to the sound of a bow shot. And right along with each round of controversy there is video footage that proves that they can. The only thing in question on a case by case situation is whether they will choose to react or not. There have been huge innovations in bow noise also, but on a calm quiet day there is no bow that can cheat the deer's ears either. The only time that can work is if there is a high wind producing competing noises. So, I believe that those who aim low (heart area) are the ones who have put a bit of a cushion into their shot. It is no guarantee, but it does put the odds more in your favor.

Another thing to be aware of is that the deer seldom drops straight down. Often he is twisting into a turn at the same time, which moves him laterally as well.

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

With constant improvements in bow speed there has always been controversy over whether a deer can react to the sound of a bow shot. And right along with each round of controversy there is video footage that proves that they can. The only thing in question on a case by case situation is whether they will choose to react or not. There have been huge innovations in bow noise also, but on a calm quiet day there is no bow that can cheat the deer's ears either. The only time that can work is if there is a high wind producing competing noises. So, I believe that those who aim low (heart area) are the ones who have put a bit of a cushion into their shot. It is no guarantee, but it does put the odds more in your favor.

Another thing to be aware of is that the deer seldom drops straight down. Often he is twisting into a turn at the same time, which moves him laterally as well.

I think they hear the arrow, theyre pretty loud coming in

• Like 1