what is acceptable accuracy with your bow?

Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

Horse crap. You sound like maybe you don’t or haven’t bow hunted a lot. Maybe lacking experience you wouldn’t take a shot over 20 but that doesn’t make it a bad idea or impossible for the rest of us. 

As far as being able to shot and track ect, that’s what we are supposed to do. 

And how old are you?

29 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. There are many people who can accurately shoot way past 20-30 yards. NFA-ADK comes to mind actually. Ive shot next to him at our Archery club, along with some of the people we know and they can easily shoot 50 yards accurately on a deer. I personally don't shoot over 30 yards, but that because I don't practice out further very often. 

I remember my archery instructor   saying  years ago  shooting at a Archery  range is not the same as from in a tree stand after you have been sitting there for a few hours now is it? In the woods in low light . But to each his own there are those that would shoot any distance if they saw a big buck no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

I love how your deer grow in weight and age as the year passes. 

“This 2-1/2 year old, busted up 5-point with a 15-1/2" inside spread and 43" chest girth offered me a 30 yard shot at 4:45”

what a clown

I did think that one was a 2-1/2, until I finished the euro and got a good look at the skull and teeth - definitely 3-1/2.  The antlers were certainly not all that impressive though.  Sorry about any weight estimate errors.  I inquired about a scale availability in the classified section but apparently that post got deleted under the new "thread crapping" clause.     

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I did think that one was a 2-1/2, until I finished the euro and got a good look at the skull and teeth - definitely 3-1/2.  The antlers were certainly not all that impressive though.  Sorry about any weight estimate errors.  I inquired about a scale availability in the classified section but apparently that post got deleted under the new "thread crapping" clause.     

Great excuse for not owning a scale now how bout you post a few pics of that jaw that you used to age your deer. 

8 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I remember my archery instructor   saying  years ago  shooting at a Archery  range is not the same as from in a tree stand after you have been sitting there for a few hours now is it? In the woods in low light . But to each his own there are those that would shoot any distance if they saw a big buck no matter what. 

Its definitely not the same. I actually talk about this when I run the shot placement section of an event we run, but I've seen these guys shoot amazing groups at 70 yards regularly. I think its more of a subjective thing. Some people poses the ability to shoot 40 plus yards on a deer and I've seen people not be able to put 3 arrows in a plate at 20 yards. 

11 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Old enough to know when someone is talking out of their rectum. 

Let me guess, you aren’t able to shoot where you live so maybe you don’t get to practice as much as someone who can. 

I can only shoot no more then 25 yards where I live so no I don't get to practice much past that distance. Even if I could where I hunt not really any  shooting lanes past that anyway really  .

Edited by Storm914

10 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Great excuse for not owning a scale now how bout you post a few pics of that jaw that you used to age your deer. 

post-5805-0-82524100-1449372907.jpg

I am sorry I thew away the lower jaw.  The skull on the left is about average for a 3-1/2 in our zone (9F), while that on the right is on the small side for a 2-1/2.  The skull in question was just a bit wider and longer than the one on the left.  I should have saved the cape, as it would have been nice for someone looking to restore a shoulder mount.   

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

post-5805-0-82524100-1449372907.jpg

I am sorry I thew away the lower jaw.  The skull on the left is about average for a 3-1/2 in our zone (9F), while that on the right is on the small side for a 2-1/2.  The skull in question was just a bit wider and longer than the one on the left.  I should have saved the cape, as it would have been nice for someone looking to restore a shoulder mount.   

So you didn’t actually age the deer then, given your propensity to fib about deer weight and age I can safely say the buck you shot was 2.5 and weighed @140 on a good day and you can not prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

Many years ago I was told by my  archery instructor that even if the deer does not see the arrow it may just move or here something out of the ordinary and move .
That Is why he recommended . Not shooting past 20 yards granted this was over 30  years ago  and bows got faster but still  past 20 /30 yards your asking for trouble  Or lots of tracking .

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with setting a personal limit of 20yds however don't judge others that can do what you can't/won't do.

I would be willing to bet that those of us that shoot year round and practice extensively at longer ranges have a higher recovery rate than the average guy that shoots a few times before season and limit themselves to shorter ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I can only shoot no more then 25 yards where I live so no I don't get to practice much past that distance. Even if I could where I hunt not really any  shooting lanes past that anyway really  .

That’s too bad, I can shoot seven days a week at any distance I want in my yard. I have literally aimed and then closed my eyes and hit the bullseye at 20. Because I can practice a lot and have shot a lot in my life I can shoot effectively out to sixty yards because that’s all the room I have on my five pin sight. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

weighed @140 on a good day and you can not prove me wrong. 

That is a very good guess on the total weight of boneless venison that we ended up with last season from my only two kills.   We would have had to start rationing in the early fall, had it not been for the vacuum sealer and a record haul the year before.    Next time I get one,  if you pm me your address, I will send you the lower jaw.        

25 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

That’s too bad, I can shoot seven days a week at any distance I want in my yard. I have literally aimed and then closed my eyes and hit the bullseye at 20. Because I can practice a lot and have shot a lot in my life I can shoot effectively out to sixty yards because that’s all the room I have on my five pin sight. 

Nice 

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The last aluminum arrow I shot at a deer was more than 5 years ago.  I have been using carbons the last (4) years with my crossbow.   You did the right thing harvesting that wounded buck.  I am thankful he did not offer me a shot on the first weekend of crossbow season last year, or I might have been tempted to punch my tag on him.  That would have cost me that stout 3-1/2 year old that is squatting down my wife's minivan in that picture you posted.  Thanks again for your "good deed" in our hunting area.    

Thanks for the compliment I’m full of good deeds. Now while the jury is still out why don’t you post a picture of one of your bolts so we can see. “ If the glove doesn’t fit you must acquit!!” 

32 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with setting a personal limit of 20yds however don't judge others that can do what you can't/won't do.

I would be willing to bet that those of us that shoot year round and practice extensively at longer ranges have a higher recovery rate than the average guy that shoots a few times before season and limit themselves to shorter ranges.

I always thought the name of the game in archery is to get up close in way, that is part of the challenge for me anyway.

But I guess everyone has there own idea about it .

39 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

So you didn’t actually age the deer then, given your propensity to fib about deer weight and age I can safely say the buck you shot was 2.5 and weighed @140 on a good day and you can not prove me wrong. 

I’ve never lost a deer , better looking than JT and hung like John Holmes   Based on my assumption  of the PA chest measurement scale. That thing don’t lie you know 

• Haha 2

I always thought the name of the game in archery is to get up close in way, that is part of the challenge for me anyway.
But I guess everyone has there own idea about it .

Name of the game for me is to kill mature bucks my way. My way of bow hunting is still hunting in the Adirondacks. If I stand hunted I would probably limit myself to 40yds or so but with my style of hunting any shot opportunity I want to be able to capitalize on, to do that I need to be capable of shooting further ranges than the average guy in a tree stand.

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Name of the game for me is to kill mature bucks my way. My way of bow hunting is still hunting in the Adirondacks. If I stand hunted I would probably limit myself to 40yds or so but with my style of hunting any shot opportunity I want to be able to capitalize on, to do that I need to be capable of shooting further ranges than the average guy in a tree stand.

I envy you being able to get up to the Adirondacks big woods and hunt like that is on my bucket  list :)

Edited by Storm914

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You won't be very successful with your 20yd limit.

Yea, i know I have to figure out how to get 40 yard shot practice in my yard with out  my neighbors freaking out.

25 is about all I can do with out them seeing  over the bushes and fence as the yard goes up hill past 25 yards to the point where they can see. Over it .

If I could practice all the time past that I would have no trouble taking longer shot it is what it is .

37 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That is a very good guess on the total weight of boneless venison that we ended up with last season from my only two kills.   We would have had to start rationing in the early fall, had it not been for the vacuum sealer and a record haul the year before.    Next time I get one,  if you pm me your address, I will send you the lower jaw.        

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe i am  old school but I was teached many years ago.  even if your a great shot in hunting conditions you should not be taking shots more then 20 yards  deer move . Unless you like spending lots of time tracking wounded deer from bad shots .

I'm glad you've had a change of heart, now stop talking about crap that you're ignorant about.

• Like 1

Yea, i know I have to figure out how to get 40 yard shot practice in my yard with out  my neighbors freaking out.

25 is about all I can do with out them seeing  over the bushes and fence as the yard goes up hill past 25 yards to the point where they can see. Over it .

If I could practice all the time past that I would have no trouble taking longer shot it is what it is .

Read the above post of yours I quoted now read this. Then stop being dumb.