what is acceptable accuracy with your bow?

Robhuntandfish

19 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I think so as well. I stopped using G5 Montecs because of how loud they are. When I was using them, I could head a loud, distinct hiss all the way to the target. Check out this video

Yup. Ive got a pile of Montecs but only use them to tune. We shoot at a club that has the range setup like an asterisk. So when youre pulling arrows at one bag people can shoot another. You can hear arrows humming by. Feathers are especially loud

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

deer have been hunted by man for at least 10,000 years with bow and arrow. 

You don't think in all that time they have not evolved to try and not get hit by arrows ?

Of course they have some natural instinct to move out of the way .

No. They are reacting to something, plain and simple. If you watch them enough, they react the same exact way to anything out of the ordinary that is close enough to them to possibly be danger. The way they drop is not actually them ducking the arrow, its how they preload their leg muscles when they take off running, or when they jump, etc.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

No. They are reacting to something, plain and simple. If you watch them enough, they react the same exact way to anything out of the ordinary that is close enough to them to possibly be danger. The way they drop is not actually them ducking the arrow, its how they preload their leg muscles when they take off running, or when they jump, etc.

Just a theory but you would think after 10,000 or more years of humans shooting arrows at them they would evolve some instinct to try and avoid arrows  being shot at them .  I am not saying you are  wrong . Just that there could be more to it then we know .

Edited by Storm914

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Just a theory but you would think after 10,000 or more years of humans shooting arrows at them they would evolve some instinct to try and avoid arrows  being shot at them .  I am not saying your wrong . Just that there could be more to it then we know .

No, I dont think that they would. They are most likely hearing some odd noise coming toward them and just reacting, as deer do to anything they perceive as danger.

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

No, I dont think that they would. They are most likely hearing some odd noise coming toward them and just reacting, as deer do to anything they perceive as danger.

I dont know, but deer don't seem to freak out when wind is blowing real hard and branches and leaves are blowing around do they ? 

They may have  evolved some instinct to know that a arrow is danger .

Like I said just speculating it would be impossible to know for sure .

Or maybe any thing out of the ordinary spooks them  like you said .

Or maybe it is a little of both for all we know .

39 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thats exactly it.  If you drop something and it scares the dog or any animal they do the same thing.  There is a drop to load up to spring forward to run.  

• Like 1

Here is a question for someone who  has hunted with a pistol I guess 

Most would not hunt with a 9mm handgun 

But why would you hunt farther then say 20 or 30 yards with a bow .

Does a bow really have that much more killing power then a 9mm bullet ?  At those ranges which most would say is not enough gun for the job .

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I think so as well. I stopped using G5 Montecs because of how loud they are. When I was using them, I could head a loud, distinct hiss all the way to the target. Check out this video

he just did field points but even field points are loud coming in. i've spotted a target for someone shooting long distance. wasn't far away from target but behind a barn. they still zip right in and make that hiss sound. arrows had blazers on too. feathers or larger vanes would be worse i think. same with straight versus full helical like i shoot.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Does a bow really have that much more killing power then a 9mm bullet ?  At those ranges which most would say is not enough gun for the job .

bullets and arrows kill, create blood trails, and have terminal performance in completely different ways.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I dont know, but deer don't seem to freak out when wind is blowing real hard and branches and leaves are blowing around do they ? 

They may have  evolved some instinct to know that a arrow is danger .

Like I said just speculating it would be impossible to know for sure .

Or maybe any thing out of the ordinary spooks them  like you said .

Or maybe it is a little of both for all we know .

Because leaves and branches blowing in the wind are normal sounds for them. From my experience, deer are more alert once the wind gets to be more than a breeze, as its harder for them to hear and smell things.

If they evolved to know what an arrow is, or that its danger, then i suspect they would do more than take a couple of bounds when you miss, which is what I have seen happen multiple times in the past.

Im not a scientist by any means, just speaking from experience and what I have learned about deer from articles, books, etc over the years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Apples and oranges. Arrows dont kill the same way as bullets do. Shock and bleeding vs cutting and bleeding.

Because leaves and branches blowing in the wind are normal sounds for them. From my experience, deer are more alert once the wind gets to be more than a breeze, as its harder for them to hear and smell things.

If they evolved to know what an arrow is, or that its danger, then i suspect they would do more than take a couple of bounds when you miss, which is what I have seen happen multiple times in the past.

Im not a scientist by any means, just speaking from experience and what I have learned about deer from articles, books, etc over the years.

What about deer learning to look up to see if humans are in  try stands ?

Do you think that is true or a myth ?

One inch is acceptable to me at any range just wish I could do it! (At any range!)  

I do field archery so we shoot out to 80 yards in competition. I am actually looking at a new bow for target, pulling 65lbs back over 100 times is a bit much for me in these shoots but its fun.  I might set the new bow up at 55 lbs to relieve some of the stress. 

That hissing noise is more from the fletching than the tips but tips can add more to it. 

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

They definitely look up, but I dont think its anything new. They are usually looking up when they notice movement or something out of place. Ive seen them look up at birds or squirrels that are in trees and move or make sounds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

It's true if a deer sees many dangers in trees he will start to look up more.  Especially when those arrows hit or fly by him making an unnatural sound after he sees danger.  He is simply reacting to his environment, most deer never get to see that person in the tree until its to late.  We call them doe, lol j/k doe look up also. 

• Like 1

What does that have to do with anything? Arrows dont kill using shock to the target.

Just saying me/ you most  hunters would not think of using a 9mm to hunt deer .

But we have know problem doing it with a bow and arrow that you could make the argument is not really as effective .  

The truth is they are both very effective if you take a good shot .

And not if you take a crap shot .

9 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

It's true if a deer sees many dangers in trees he will start to look up more.  Especially when those arrows hit or fly by him making an unnatural sound after he sees danger.  He is simply reacting to his environment, most deer never get to see that person in the tree until its to late.  We call them doe, lol j/k doe look up also. 

And you don't think over time living in a hunted area deer dont evolve to look out for the  dangers of archery  hunters ? 

10 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

And you don't think over time living in a hunted area deer dont evolve to look out for the  dangers of archery  hunters ? 

It' an interesting point , I've thought about it on a deeper level myself . We all know that deer have amazing sense of smell, what if deer could smell something as simple as fletch tight or bowstring wax and assoiate that with danger . As far as deer seeing people in the trees ,I don' think they will ever get to the point of looking in every single tree as they walk ,just the ones that they have busted people in.