Boot Suggestions

My boots took a crap on me this year and whenever I walk now in dew my feet get soaked.....Not sure where the water is coming in from so I think it is about that time for new boots. Looking for something that isn't to clunky so I can hike around in them but also looking for something that will keep my feet warm when posted in the tree stand. I hunt all the way into December and my feet are one of the first things to get cold. I had a pair of Irish Setters w/ 800 grams of thinsulate. The boots were comfy to hike in but my feet still got cold when posted. Any suggestions on boots?

BK

i picked up some Irish Setter rubber boots that are uninsulated they are awesome.  i had a mishap where i got it hung up and it ripped a huge hole in the shin.  it was all my fault that no boot could handle.  i called them and they said policy wise they couldn't just replace them. i bought on clearance from Gander Mountain that's now closed and other issues on top of that.  customer support talked with their product group though and got back to me that day.  they gave me options and walked me through the best option to fix them on my own so i didn't have to replace them.  they replaced a pair of Muck boots that i was happy with despite liberal company policy.  i'm replacing Muck Artic Sports that crapped to bed next.  Right now I've still got Muck Hoser boots i'm using.  That boot is not warm enough for late season though.

I am considering a pair of Rocky Core 1000 gram hunting boots . One review had 8 Five Stars and 1 One Star 9 The one star was when the guy sliced the boot on a sharp object . Saw some other reviews that were very positive .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKY-CORE-WTRPF-1000G-INSULATED-NEOPRENE-OUTDOOR-BOOTS-RKYS053-ALL-SIZES-SALE/192343645643?hash=item2cc8931dcb:m:maKVOCFqm8hqv4v5tuHBNZg

22 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

I picked up a pair of Danner High Ground 1000gram insulation and really like them after testing out this past season.  Great to walk in, good support and traction and very warm. Maybe you can find them on sale, worth a look.

How did they perform in the cold? Do you normally get cold feet?

3 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I am a bit leery about buying boots on line as some are a true fit whereas some brands vary in size ........

Danner does free shipping and free returns. I've heard nothing but good things about them so I may give them a try.

l'm a huge fan of muck woody max for the "all purpose" ny hunter/outdoorsman. You'll get a lot of positive reviews on them, and because it seems that whenever a lot of people like something, some feel the need to knock it... you'll get some "overpriced" comments. 

Just my .02 but unless you beat the piss outta them they'll last you a good while and are worth the cost. Generally can be found on sale if you hunt around a little. Arctic pros are warmer so less "all purpose" than the woody max. 

It is almost impossible to come up with a one pair do it all boots that will handle every weather situation. Rubber is without a doubt best for very wet conditions.  For me hunting in warm weather I like leather, it fits better and is more comfortable for walking, insulated leather will keep my feet warm under most conditions I hunt in. For sitting still on stand in very cold temps you will have to wear heavy insulated clod hoppers that suck for walking. I have ended up purchasing several pair of boots to cover just about any conditions I hunt in. If I could only have just one pair of hunting boots I would lean toward the insulated LLBean Maine hunting boot, rubber bottoms with leather tops.  With an over 100 year track record in the field for quality they would have me pretty much covered for just about any type of hunting I do these days.

Al

Been through three pair of the Muck Arctic Sport boots in just under three years. Thanks To L.L. Bean 100% satisfaction guarantee, they were replaced free of charge. They crack on top of the boot between the big toe and the foot area, one side then the other. Now that L.L. Bean is discontinuing their great warranty they had in place, I'll be looking for new boots in about 9 months.

22 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Muck Arctic Sport boots

The Maine hunting boots are American made not imports like the Muck Arctics, I have two pair of the Maine boots one insulated and one non with zero problems. The low cut non insulated boots I have been wearing for chores here on the farm for years and they have seen a lot of use and wear under some literally crappy conditions, no leaks no cracks, by far the best wearing boot I have ever used for work around here. I use to purchase imported guide gear and proline leather top rubber bottom clones that I would wear out inside of six months, they would crack on the top like your Muck Arctics.

Al

• Like 2

i have 3 pairs of boots for hunting.  Have one set of real light hikers for turkey and those early season bow - too warm days, then a set of muck boots for the swampy spots and a set of heavier insulated boots for the cold weather.  I still buy a thinsulate boot as most days its enough, but when it gets real cold , I add in a set of heavy socks and toe warmers. Dont like the rubber boots when its too hot or too cold or for a lot of walking .  Best overall would think is a pair of light insulated with real waterproof bottom half.  

19 hours ago, BKhunter said:

How did they perform in the cold? Do you normally get cold feet?

They were very warm on the cold days. I sit all day quite often and can't have cold feet, that's why I went with the 1000 gram. I also wear a good wool sock and use the toe warmers on the coldest days if needed.  The high grounds are light weight boots and great for long walks in to the stand or all day still hunting, very comfortable and water proof. Not cheap at around 200 bucks but I wanted a good boot that will last a long time.

• Like 1