Moose Draw

Robhuntandfish

would love to post pics here of BMD!  Have a friend with a family camp up in section 6 near the border that we can use.  would love to do this one time.  If it happens will setup a thread for that week cause it ought to be interesting.  An issue we already see is trying not to bust out laughing when doing the "im a hot moose cmon over here" call.  lol.  

I know a guy that drew one for NH and he tagged second day.  Burnt out the winch on his 4 wheeler trying to get the moose out. He hooked the winch to it and it dragged the wheeler to the moose.  So then he put the wheeler against a tree and burnt out the winch.  Then he finally got it out with a combo of clearing and dragging and tarps.  

My plan is to quarter it at least. 

• Like 1

i should find the photo.  my dad, uncles, and grandfather hunted in Quebec for the same subspecies. they had a half dozen of them pulling and attached a rope run through the woods to something else. hauled the whole thing back to the truck. they got it back to camp and used a come-along to hoist it up at the front porch.  guide thought they were on drugs until they got it back. neighboring camps came to check it out.  got much of it on film.

• Like 2

honestly it was luck for them who got it. it wasn't scouted out. each of them posted up on a small pond or lake and called.  that one that made the most noise actually shot it.  my one uncle was breaking the biggest tree branches he could find. not much else in the woods makes that kind of sound.

• Like 1

wow good luck!! I hope you get a big one . Dont forget to give some moose meat to your friends[ME!!!!lol].My friend went to  Newfoundland and brought back some meat it is awesome!!! I made a chili with it and some marinaded steaks .Its much more tender than deer[ taste better too imho]. I think cause they dont move around as much as white tails they are more tender. As far as taste its moose meat, whitetail deer .and elk. Forget about mule deer and pronghorn. I had  both and didnt like either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hunter said:

Good luck. What zones did you apply for?

Thanks. The cabin we have access to is in 6.  So that was first pic.  But went with 6,3,2,5,1,11,4,19,18,10.  Looked at numbers and location from cabin to choose.  We also have access to another cabin in 18. Which isn't as good as the northern end but still worth a try. 

Good luck....I applied in Maine for 20 years and finally gave up...I still apply in New Brunswick since the odds are a little better for drawing there and I have connections to hunt up there should I get incredibly lucky and draw a tag.. I did manage to draw a tag there in 2004 ( odds were much better then) and killed a bull..I have a friend here in NY that has applied the same number of times I have and has drawn 3 tags, and has killed 2 bulls up there...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...