Moose Draw

Robhuntandfish

On 2/13/2018 at 5:35 PM, Fletch said:

Good luck!! I had been putting in for the VT draw for 5 years or so then brain farted and missed last year. I realized it one day after the ap deadline. Lost 5 years of preference points. Stoopid me!!

Your preference points wouldn't help you this year.  No moose season.  The state is trying to figure out what to do about the tick problem.  The moose population is taking a beating.

8 hours ago, Steve D said:

Beautiful country. Hoe you get it but watch out for these guys.

Actually if I get the permit one of my first moves is to contact these guys.  Will go up and do a bit of scouting ahead of time and try to meet up with a warden for few minutes and ask some questions.  Esp about reporting the moose, can it be quartered etc?  and any good tips on where to start in the region.... hoping they will be helpful. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yeah it sure is a lottery - bout the same odds at least.  Well that sucks.  In New brunswick do you have to have a guide?  

Yes, a guide is required for a non-resident to hunt moose...However, my  friend who lives up there happens to be a licensed guide...

• Like 1

We went to into northern Ontario Canada back in the 80's. We drove on some pretty remote log roads, dumped in two canoes and a 8' motor boat into a huge lake. We went to the end of that uninhabited lake and portaged 150 yards into another uninhabited lake and went down to the swamp end of that one. We set up a tent camp by the end of the first day I have never experienced that kind of quiet....lol. There were 4 of us with all kinds of bear and moose tags. Drawing tags back then was not an issue. We used an outfitter which was a legal requirement back then, so he got all the tags we needed but that was all we really used the outfitter for. We lived on dried food and some of the best walleye and northern pike I have ever tasted.

The one suggestion that worked well for us is to hunt near the water so the removal is only a short distance to the canoes or whatever. We hunted the edge of a river that ran out of the lake we were camped out on, shot the moose at the edge of the river, and the moose dropped at the edge of the river. Quartering up the critter made everything pretty easy and a very short carry. I would highly recommend taking someone with you even if they aren't hunting.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Doc said:

We went to into northern Ontario Canada back in the 80's. We drove on some pretty remote log roads, dumped in two canoes and a 8' motor boat into a huge lake. We went to the end of that uninhabited lake and portaged 150 yards into another uninhabited lake and went down to the swamp end of that one. We set up a tent camp by the end of the first day I have never experienced that kind of quiet....lol. There were 4 of us with all kinds of bear and moose tags. Drawing tags back then was not an issue. We used an outfitter which was a legal requirement back then, so he got all the tags we needed but that was all we really used the outfitter for. We lived on dried food and some of the best walleye and northern pike I have ever tasted.

The one suggestion that worked well for us is to hunt near the water so the removal is only a short distance to the canoes or whatever. We hunted the edge of a river that ran out of the lake we were camped out on, shot the moose at the edge of the river, and the moose dropped at the edge of the river. Quartering up the critter made everything pretty easy and a very short carry. I would highly recommend taking someone with you even if they aren't hunting.

will def have a buddy with me.  The permit also has sub party and he could shoot as well as long as we are together.  We wont have a canoe or anything but will have a game cart and determination!  Def will have to quarter it etc.  Would just have to find out rules on that.  Cause each moose has to be brought to a station and want to be sure we bring everything we have to.  Etc.   I would hope they let you quarter and only have to provide sex of the animal.  Esp if it is warm out i want to quarter skin and ice it right away .    

not totally sure on where we would even stay for sure. Have a couple leads on some cabins we might be able to use.  But we would cert be on the budget plan and can see us a couple of nights using the truck as shelter.  lol By the time you pay for permit and licences alone and get there your up to $1000.  But we will make it work one way or the other. If the possible cabins fall thru (as I asked person years ago when i first started applying) we might truck one night then hotel the next etc.   depends a lot on where we might get a tag for.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish

If I were hunting Maine I would definitely consider paying a local with a log skidder to haul the critter out...When I got my bull in NB in 2004, my guide/friend just happened to be a dairy farmer, so we had a big diesel tractor at our disposal...Dressed the critter, skidded it out and lifted it into the bed of a truck with the front end loader..That was a far cry from our Alaska bulls, where we had to  butcher and bag them and then carry every piece on our backs on packframes to where a float plane could get to it...I was younger and in much better physical condition then, and it still kicked my butt..Today it would kill me for sure ….Hehehe....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

16 years and still shut out in Maine , oh well the N.H. Drawing is on Friday. Maybe just maybe, this is the year. 

Good luck!!   Yeah you'd think all those bonus points would cash in.  I think I am on 10 or 11 years.  Good luck in NH.  I used to try there too, but the moose numbers weren't as good.  I do know a guy that got one there.  

Hope I know 2 soon.  Good luck.

• 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If you draw that tag go ahead and buy a chest freezer, you’re getting a moose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got one but it's full of venison and walleyes.  Will have to get another. Worth it!

Couldn't imagine coming home with hundreds of pounds of moose meat.  The would be incredible. 

Moose steaks, moose burgers, moose gumbo, moose knuckle......all the good stuff! 

It would certainly be my dream trip. Wouldn't get a guide would want to do it ourselves.  My buddy would also be on the permit and we would do some scouting in the summer up there for sure.  

Hopefully this is the year.   I try to pick the best zones to apply for but a couple are sketchy. But most are 75percent tag fill areas.  Also put in for a cow tag this year to up my odds. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

Good luck with this year's draw Rob! This is your year buddy. 

When you draw the tag, please let us follow along from the scouting to the kill.  Also the meal preps and cooking!

Already looking forward to the posts!!!

Thanks and definitely would love to share the adventure.  

Our biggest worry would be not busting out laughing Everytime I try to do a moose call.  

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Thanks and definitely would love to share the adventure.  

Our biggest worry would be not busting out laughing Everytime I try to do a moose call.  

I can understand that!  Just got a mental picture of my hunting partner trying to do a moose calll!.........:rofl:

Good luck, I just put in myself tonight for it. It’s my fourth year applying. What’s crazy is I know a guy who got picked his second year and then another guy who’s been putting in close to 18 years. I guess this thing is pure luck in the drawing. 

• Like 1