Moose Draw

Robhuntandfish

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How much is the draw? And tag? I’ve never had an interest in moose but maybe I’ll take a shot. I apply for PA Elk each year and buy WY PP’s for elk, deer and lope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think one draw is like $10.  But i usually do the lot of 10 for $55.  I also have 13 bonus points built up from past years.  But there are people that never get drawn and some get it on the first try, never know.  There are a lot of applicants for 2,000 permits. I used to also do NH but the moose population hasnt been doing that well there so stopped applying.  I also do the elk draw in Penn but hoping for that maine one.  If you apply look over the success rates to pick the units you want to hunt.  The northern end is def the best. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How much is the draw? And tag? I’ve never had an interest in moose but maybe I’ll take a shot. I apply for PA Elk each year and buy WY PP’s for elk, deer and lope.

oh and the tag itself i believe is $450 and also have to do a non resident license which i think is $150 or so.  Can put up to two other on the permit as well. They have to be with you but can also shoot.  Me and a buddy were gonna split the tag fee if we get one.  I would also prob get a bear tag just in case to go with it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I went with my buddy when he drew. We "scouted", which consisted of driving the logging roads and seeing bull after bull after bull. He killed one 15 minutes into the opener

do you remember which zone it was?   thats awesome.  I know i would cave on the first legal bull i see.  lol 

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

i'm not even sure that sounds fun. Is that normal?

Sounds like fun to me...After being in on a few moose kills,  I  would prefer to shoot one as close to the road as possible...

With moose, the fun stops when the moose is dead..

A friend of mine, an older gentleman , told me about a moose hunt he went on years ago up in Canada..

He said  " We were having a hell of a good time...Then some dumb s**t shot a MOOSE ".....

• Like 1

Sounds like fun to me...After being in on a few moose kills,  I  would prefer to shoot one as close to the road as possible...
A friend of mine, an older gentleman , told me about a moose hunt he went on years ago up in Canada..
He said  " We were having a hell of a good time...Then some dumb s**t shot a MOOSE ".....

I agree. I’ve been on many out of state hunts where I got nothing or i did but it was the final hour. Therefore, I’d gladly take a first hour kill on a nice one someday.

Sometimes it seems easy which is fine with me as I've been skunked enough times. My friend who was my co-permitee  found several bulls for me but couldn't find a cow for his own son the next month in the adjoining zone. So no I didn't think it was too easy. If you want a challenge go there for deer and track them in the snow. BTW the draw is usually in June and fee for nonresident is about $700 for moose tag and big game license plus application fee. Good luck to all applying anywhere.

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

seeing a 1,000 animal on the hoof is always fun! Having said that if I ever draw I want to get in the woods, with my bow. 

i sure wanted to lean with the bow too, cause that would be epic!  but would kick myself 6 ways from sunday if i didnt get one cause it was out of range and it is very brushy up there i am told and it takes so long to get a permit i got one chance in my lifetime. .  But moose with a bow would be amazing! 

32 minutes ago, virgil said:

I just put in an application after reading this thread.  When is the draw?

they draw in June but havent set the date yet. They draw quite a crowd there too.  Download the moose PDF on the maine Encon website - that had a lot of good info.  

and good luck! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i sure wanted to lean with the bow too, cause that would be epic!  but would kick myself 6 ways from sunday if i didnt get one cause it was out of range and it is very brushy up there i am told and it takes so long to get a permit i got one chance in my lifetime. .  But moose with a bow would be amazing! 

I went once in Gogama Ont, I didnt see a bull but had some seriously close encounter with two different cows. What a rush!

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

I went once in Gogama Ont, I didnt see a bull but had some seriously close encounter with two different cows. What a rush!

since there is a two guys on a permit was seriously considering taking the bow then having my buddy tote the gun.  Yeah i can be a mess with a close whitetail doe,  Cant imagine a big moose at bow range - glad its a big target! 

47 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

38 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I agree. I’ve been on many out of state hunts where I got nothing or i did but it was the final hour. Therefore, I’d gladly take a first hour kill on a nice one someday.

to each their own. For me it's the thrill of the chase. tagging out in 15 minutes isn't really "hunting" for me. No issues with how you guys feel though.

1 minute ago, Belo said:

to each their own. For me it's the thrill of the chase. tagging out in 15 minutes isn't really "hunting" for me. No issues with how you guys feel though.

in every zone up in maine there is no 100% filled tag rate. Thinking its not quite as easy as that most of the time.  No different than going to the deer stand on opening day and seeing a big buck - it can happen like that but usually doesnt. Plus if you get a tag in a great zone can look for a big bull to have more of a challenge.  

On 2/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, Pygmy said:

Was thinking the same thing most be real fun trying to get one out alone .