17 killed in shooting at high school in Parkland, Florida, authorities say

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-respond-shooting-parkland-florida-high-school-n848101

Sad and tragic.  Senseless loss of innocent and good people by a violent sociopath.

Soft targets like schools and other “gun free zones” are the choice of cowardly violent sociopaths because they are the only ones who have a firearm.  They are truly evil, but not stupid.  So already the media is asking about the government’s lack of gun control action.  I would like to ask when the government will mandate armed teachers and other staff members who are trained and capable of killing an attacker be allowed in schools. 

Sadly the media and gun control advocates will focus on gun restriction and prohibitions as opposed to developing protocols to protect the public from violent sociopaths at soft targets.

• Like 4

What we need is for parents to go back to teaching there kids respect for others and giving them as whooping they need when they need it. Kids are not displayed anymore. They are put in time out or the phrase kids being kids is used and there actions are ignored. I don't know anyone who got a few whooping when they were young that does not respect other or would even think of doing things like this. 

When I was a kid if you were seen doing something wrong or disrespecting someone the person who saw you gave you a whooping and then called your parents. Hay I just caught little jammy doing such and such and whooped him good. Parents reply was good let him know he is getting another whooping when he gets home.

You didn't dare screw up because you knew better. It really does take a community to raise a child and that is the way ito was. Nowadays you can't do anything or say anything to a kid because there parents get pissed that someone tried to make there kid be a decent person. Between that and people just saying that's not my problem we ended up where we are today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Just watched the live video during the shooting. I just don't get it...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't get the video. They could be killed at any moment and they go into video mode instead of survival mode? What does that say about our kids? Or us for that matter for not teaching them how to survive? Have things gotten with the whole pics or videos or it didn't happen that the first thing people do in a tragedy such as this is make sure they get it on video? This kid needs to be knocked in the head for even thinking of video taping instead of survival, his parents need a knock in the head as well for teaching him to think that way. This is why they are mass shootings.the victims are more worried about getting the tragedy on film then they are about saving themselves or others that they end up dead trying to get their video.

My son was caught in the middle of an active shooter situation. He survived because he kept his phone in his pocket and only used it to call me after he and 3 others had gotten out and to safty.

Only 2 things you should think of in that situation. Try to stop it or get away from it. When bad things are happening you either chose to do something or do nothing. Taking video or pictures are doing nothing.

We have become a nation of people who do nothing. This is why so many of these types of things happen lately. It is easy to commit these acts when you know Noone will do anything other then take a pic or video.

The ones who do these things are looking for the fame that they saw the last guy get. If people fought back and the media stopped reporting on these things there is a good chance they would stop. Or at least slow down. Try this hay folks this happened today. End of story. Don't give them there fame. Don't talk about it all day everyday until the next nut job get talked into doing the same thing.

Also has anyone noticed that every report starts with ar15 was involved. Some reports state other types of weapons then 2 hours latter they say nope we were wrong it was an assault riffel. They report what they are told to.  The more these things happen the more reporting on them there is.  Kinda of fuel to the fire.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stubby68 said:

I don't get the video. They could be killed at any moment and they go into video mode instead of survival mode? What does that say about our kids? Or us for that matter for not teaching them how to survive? Have things gotten with the whole pics or videos or it didn't happen that the first thing people do in a tragedy such as this is make sure they get it on video? This kid needs to be knocked in the head for even thinking of video taping instead of survival, his parents need a knock in the head as well for teaching him to think that way. This is why they are mass shootings.the victims are more worried about getting the tragedy on film then they are about saving themselves or others that they end up dead trying to get their video.

It's a messed up society, no question about that, and it probably won't get any better.  I think there are MANY people out there who'd rather be shot to death than put down their stinking, bloody smartphones.  Freaking unbelievable.  I won't be excluding many hunters from this disease either.  It's not enough to kill a deer anymore, they have to FILM themselves killing it.  Boggles my mind, that's for damned sure!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Papist said:

Events like today made me realize on the way home that if ISIS decide to initiate a nationwide and coordinated attack on US High-schools, literally nothing will stop them from slaughtering hundreds or even thousands of kids....nothing could stop them.

and yet they haven't. This white kid killed more people in one day then ISIS did all last year in the states. 

10 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've already heard this kid was posting pics of his guns and knives on Instagram and viewing sketchy websites. At what point do the parents have some culpability?!

he's 19 and an adult. and both parents are dead. with that said, too many people saw the warning signs and did nothing. that's the true failure in my opinion. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Apparently he was at least sympathetic to ANTIFA and they are certainly trying to distance themselves. 

the kid is/was certainty mixed up in some shit and not with it. Note that the picture you posted isn't verified to be him. I just had to poke  papsmear a little. 

• Like 2

The biggest issue i see with my party is that they oppose every healthcare bill. But when something like this happens they blame it on mental illness and sickness. I'm pro gun, but if mental health is going to be your fallback you need to support and fund improving it. The 1960's aren't coming back. Blame parents fine, but 2018 is a different reality. Over 50% of parents are divorced, many parents work 2 jobs, kids are pressured more than ever by the influences of social media. Yes those are all excuses, but they are also reality. 

Fund the healthcare and help stop the violence.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Belo said:

The biggest issue i see with my party is that they oppose every healthcare bill. But when something like this happens they blame it on mental illness and sickness. I'm pro gun, but if mental health is going to be your fallback you need to support and fund improving it. The 1960's aren't coming back. Blame parents fine, but 2018 is a different reality. Over 50% of parents are divorced, many parents work 2 jobs, kids are pressured more than ever by the influences of social media. Yes those are all excuses, but they are also reality. 

Fund the healthcare and help stop the violence.

What party was it that severely cut back NY's psychiatric facilities and treatment?  Was that "your party"  

1 hour ago, Belo said:

14 hours ago, Papist said:

Events like today made me realize on the way home that if ISIS decide to initiate a nationwide and coordinated attack on US High-schools, literally nothing will stop them from slaughtering hundreds or even thousands of kids....nothing could stop them.

and yet they haven't. This white kid killed more people in one day then ISIS did all last year in the states. 

Papist has a valid point though. Just replace "ISIS" with "any organized group of bad guys".

• Like 2

His parents are both dead, I’ve read multiple sources  that say it’s not him in that picture , and the T shirt is a gag shirt. It shows communist leaders holding drinks and wearing party hats, with the caption , “communists party “.

The issue today is not guns it's the destruction of neighborhoods and family units.. when inwas a kid I would be ratted out by a neighbor calling my parents before I got home.. grandparents and f amilys lived in same neighborhoods.. one parent incomes were enough to live on. Parenting was done by community unknowingly it was just done..the old man on the corner scolding you for throwing rocks. 

Now video games and day care are the 1st step in raising kids.. many experiments of kids with real.guns have been done

.those that know real guns from home don't mess with or touch them kids that don't are pulling the trigger and pointing at people..

Perhaps it's time we make gun education mandatory in schools same as sex education. 

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/03/01/experiment-tests-kids-raised-around-guns-and-those-shielded-from-them-one-side-of-gun-debate-will-likely-be-shocked-by-results

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I would be interested in seeing the actual video.

Just look up experiments with kids and guns there are many with videos..one has gun in toy box .1st group of kids enter and open box pull out gun and shoot each other with it..(not loaded of course) 2nd group enters same set up kids find real gun in toy box and immediately tell adult in room with out touching it..  amazing what education can do

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

you're not wrong. but the reality still exists and i don't see a fix for that problem...

I agree it's the biggest issue and better minds than mine need to work on fixing it.. but it is the cause and I recognise it ..I'm just not the problem solver for the issue.

• Like 1